• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The event of the season - 2 days of hell!

Go Kart Mozart

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Up this way, not often you wake up to sub-zero at -2F at 6am… and then at 6pm when folks are heading home it’s -17F.

3BD997F9-F9B6-48E7-9C37-1496441EBCF1.thumb.png.25ec856a7e242bf7ace5a3b2233ee710.png

80368C4C-F25A-4B0C-9A03-F35447F9284E.thumb.png.77e7914b7f1e0bc50d929056f3b61790.png

Friday is probably the most impactful day to be honest… everyone focused on Sat AM.  Friday afternoon and evening looks brutal with wind.

Yeah people will be out and about on Friday afternoon…they’ll go into work thinking it’s cold but bearable..and then leave in ranging CAA with brutal temps. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah people will be out and about on Friday afternoon…they’ll go into work thinking it’s cold but bearable..and then leave in ranging CAA with brutal temps. 

Yeah there’s something about wind when each time it blows, it’s colder than it was. The opposite of the normal diurnal curve and region wide 15-20F drop during the day should be jarring.

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Up this way, not often you wake up to sub-zero at -2F at 6am… and then at 6pm when folks are heading home it’s -17F.

3BD997F9-F9B6-48E7-9C37-1496441EBCF1.thumb.png.25ec856a7e242bf7ace5a3b2233ee710.png

80368C4C-F25A-4B0C-9A03-F35447F9284E.thumb.png.77e7914b7f1e0bc50d929056f3b61790.png

Friday is probably the most impactful day to be honest… everyone focused on Sat AM.  Friday afternoon and evening looks brutal with wind.

Really everywhere, that’s a big daytime drop even big cities.  Mid-20s BOS suburbs morning commute, near 0F evening commute?

Yeah, I was thinking about that earlier.  People are going to be caught off guard by the combination of wind and cold coming out of work etc Friday.   Out for a few drinks or dinner after work and then walking out into ULLR's wrath. 

God-of-Winter-768x307.png.2b761e1f9afa9bd9ad0fa420d19f7595.png

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Looking forward to the mass schools canceling Friday - I’m guessing it’ll happen

At least in CT, my advice has been no need for cancelling or delaying.  Friday will start out a a pretty "normal" bitter cold morning with temps in the teens so there is no need delay. In a normal winter we would usually experience quite a few mornings like Friday.  There should be no concern for buses not starting.  Also the vast majority of students do not walk so the potential for any widespread issues after school during the afternoon as the temps fall and wind chills ramp is limited.  Email Notices always go out about proper clothing for families with walkers.  If Saturday was a school day there would likely be consideration for delays.  Unless we are dealing with a true Wind Chill Warning with chill numbers minus 20 or lower cancellations are hard to sell...

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Looking forward to the mass schools canceling Friday - I’m guessing it’ll happen

Major Boy Scout event at Camp Moses in Westfield Saturday with some Troops slated to camp Friday night. :o

I'm assuming they cancel the camping but hopefully the entire event is postponed.  All day in that cold is too much when you are starting the morning below zero.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Major Boy Scout event at Camp Moses in Westfield Saturday with some Troops slated to camp Friday night. :o

I'm assuming they cancel the camping but hopefully the entire event is postponed.  All day in that cold is too much. 

Yup.  Why bother.  It would be miserable 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I'm assuming they cancel the camping but hopefully the entire event is postponed.  All day in that cold is too much when you are starting the morning below zero.

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yup.  Why bother.  It would be miserable 

It builds character.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, dryslot said:

It builds character.

It builds lawsuits if somebody gets frostbite.  I'm all for Scouting events in all weather but starting the day below zero and then being outside for 6 or 7 hours, is probably too much for the younger kids.  The fire pits and warming hut is only good for so long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Holy shit that’s bonkers.  

HRRR end of run, but still, -24F up here by Friday evening.  It has -17F here by 8am.

7PM Fri…

E4B9C9AE-F0DF-4748-A0F8-DC7FED38A39A.thumb.png.389dd24b86abc215e31b3029b85a708b.png

Interesting to track as we head closer.  00Z run verified 2F too warm, had 13F at 2Z, actual was 11F.  Not significant but kinda bored watching models right now  lol

10 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah seems remarkable but I definitely recall other cold snaps where we went from single digits to rain in a day or two.  That's the worst, going from frostbite to cutter.

And we’ve also gone the opposite way before too….80 plus in Feb, and 24 hrs later it’s snowing. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It builds lawsuits if somebody gets frostbite.  I'm all for Scouting events in all weather but starting the day below zero and then being outside for 6 or 7 hours, is probably too much for the younger kids.  The fire pits and warming hut is only good for so long.

So has the boy scouts motto changed from when i was a scout in the 60's? (be prepared) I guess it has, We did winter camp in adverse conditions to learn survival techniques, This era and generation is soft.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dryslot said:

So has the boy scouts motto changed from when i was a scout in the 60's? (be prepared) I guess it has, We did winter camp in adverse conditions to learn survival techniques, This era and generation is soft.

Everyone sues everyone in this country. The rise and prevalence of that has put a huge damper on past practices.

Its also why school is cancelled so often now 

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Scouts is "Be Prepared" and nowadays Cub Scouts is "Do Your Best"   Greenfield is one of the few towns in MA that still have a decent size Scout program. 

• Like 1