• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The event of the season - 2 days of hell!

Go Kart Mozart

2 hours ago, Spanks45 said:

It won't be -20⁰ here, but I am a bit worried about my radiating pit....my peach trees have some interesting looking buds for January. Might have to start knitting some gloves for them....lost all of them last year because of the late season freeze. I refuse to lose them 2 years in a row...

I planted a Reliance peach within days of moving to my present location in mid-May 1998.  For its first 3 year it would triple in size then bottom-of-winter temps of -24 or -25 would kill the top half, followed by super growth (but no blossoms) the next summer.  Winter 2001-02 never dropped below -12, there was no dieback and we picked 100+ sweet fruit of about tennis ball size in August.  Jan-Feb-Mar 2003 included 12 days with minima between -20 and -29, a few of those with significant wind, and the tree was essentially dead.  A small sprout appeared from below the graft in summer '03 but all was still after 03-04 (Jan 04 would've killed the tree just as thoroughly as winter 02-03.  I just said thank you Lord for giving me one crop before demonstrating that our frost-pocket microclimate was too cold (on the cusp between 4A and 4B) for peaches.  Median for winter's coldest is -25 and we may approach that Saturday morning, maybe Sunday as well but without the breeze.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

EPS mean is only a couple degrees warmer than the op. GEFS much colder than the GFS op. I think I’ll lean colder. 

is that for mid level temps?  I assume the surface temps are dependent upon wind conditions and mid level temps reflect the potential?  But then of course, there is wind chill.  Whatever, it'll be cold and our peaches are screwed.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I planted a Reliance peach within days of moving to my present location in mid-May 1998.  For its first 3 year it would triple in size then bottom-of-winter temps of -24 or -25 would kill the top half, followed by super growth (but no blossoms) the next summer.  Winter 2001-02 never dropped below -12, there was no dieback and we picked 100+ sweet fruit of about tennis ball size in August.  Jan-Feb-Mar 2003 included 12 days with minima between -20 and -29, a few of those with significant wind, and the tree was essentially dead.  A small sprout appeared from below the graft in summer '03 but all was still after 03-04 (Jan 04 would've killed the tree just as thoroughly as winter 02-03.  I just said thank you Lord for giving me one crop before demonstrating that our frost-pocket microclimate was too cold (on the cusp between 4A and 4B) for peaches.  Median for winter's coldest is -25 and we may approach that Saturday morning, maybe Sunday as well but without the breeze.

With climate change, I've gone from 4B to 5A and it means I get peaches maybe 2 out of 3 years, but the trees themselves usually stay alive, extreme event notwithstanding.  They sure are good right out of the yard, aren't they?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mahk_webstah said:

With climate change, I've gone from 4B to 5A and it means I get peaches maybe 2 out of 3 years, but the trees themselves usually stay alive, extreme event notwithstanding.  They sure are good right out of the yard, aren't they?

I didn't get many last year for the first time in a few years, maybe it was the late frost.

They're really good but you can eat only so many off the tree, you have to can most of them and give them away.

1 minute ago, mahk_webstah said:

Along with blueberries, my favorite fruit.  Our NNJ home was within 10 miles of (and about 500' higher than) several peach orchards.  We'd buy a peck and I'd eat 6 or more every day.

2 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I didn't get many last year for the first time in a few years, maybe it was the late frost.

They're really good but you can eat only so many off the tree, you have to can most of them and give them away.

With only that 100+ we had no problem consuming them long before they would go by.  :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

straight into the freezer in an airtight bag.  take out and put in oatmeal.  awesome and easy.  learned from a local.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

The Euro op is all alone among the ops with that widespread below 0F in SNE, even down on the Cape and MV.

An interesting battle among the models.  Let's see which one(s) cave(s) from here.

GEFS mean is -28 for 1P1. Op is -12. 10/90 percentile are -33/-21. So the op is an extreme outlier. Similar theme for a lot of CNE/SNE

49 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

At least with dews you can get out in it , enjoy and do stuff. With this it’s sit inside , listen to oil burn and watch the thermometer . 

One bright spot of this winter, couldn’t draw up a better time for a warm winter with oil over $4 for most of it

• Like 3