• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The event of the season - 2 days of hell!

Go Kart Mozart

14 hours ago, UnitedWx said:

-44F Getting in late on a snowmobile trip up north of Quebec back around 2006 or so. I think we were northwest of Lake St.Jean. Three of us hung back to help someone with sled trouble and didn't get to the hotel til 8:30 at night. As soon as I took off my helmet and balaclava, my nose instantly froze shut! Crazy experience 

holy cow I was there the exact same time (Feb '06). we drove up to Q City, then rode from there up to Jonquiere. then around lac St Jean and by Mt Valin. it was a very fun trip, but super cold. we were all dressed for it and were fine. lots of stops at the remote "relais" to warm up.

One thing i do remember quite well is one of my buddies on a Yamaha, that had the exhaust out the back by the tail light. we got to an intersection and he was stopped, and I thought his sled was on fire-but it was just the exhaust.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I’m looking forward to 12z . Maybe Play the seasonal trend of cold under performing . People will whine as they don’t like anything negative to be said about the winter events they wait 3 seasons for .

We know it’s gonna be cold . The thread is to talk about numbers , wind chills, effects  trends , Etc. it would make a difference regarding weather with respect to records being broke or not . 

I'd 'almost' argue the thread really isn't that constructively intended  haha...

3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

My gut is that Fri night cold is being overplayed (wind chills will still be brutal, talking strictly air temp). CAA mixing should keep things from challenging records. Sat seems to be trending a bit colder as the core of the cold is delayed by a few hours. MEX is now single digits at PWM for a high, which hasn't been done in 5 years. Then Sat night I think has the potential to be the coldest for some places. High hasn't totally left town yet and that inversion is going to allow temps to drop from a pretty low launching pad as is. Might be -20 at HIE/BML before midnight.

Yeah the way that high crests directly over NNH early Sat night looks pretty ideal. If clear, First CT Lake would radiate like the moon before WAA tries to cap it. 

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Helps with the heating bills, walking the dog, etc.      I love winter but there is a price to pay for it

Heh... this thing's nothing as far as impact on those aspects -

not barking at you just musing here... 

It's in an out too fast to even make an impact, really. You play a couple poker rounds at the local Elks club and sleep one off and it's back over 30.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's in an out too fast to even make an impact, really. You play a couple poker rounds at the local Elks club and sleep one off and it's back over 30.  

He was responding to a post about the lack of arctic air most of this winter. Def has helped with heating bills. 

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I just meant the warm season in general.  I might go through a couple more gallons of heating oil on Saturday than normal, but overall, my energy use has been less.

Sports betting is now legal in Mass!  Might have to do a few parlays to cover Saturday

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

He was responding to a post about the lack of arctic air most of this winter. Def has helped with heating bills. 

Lol, yeah I figured as much...  But then in essence, my post more agrees with that sentiment, and the fact of lack of delivery into this region of the continent. 

It's brevity is sort of symbolic of losing overwhelmingly but getting a single punch in just before the bouncers carry away the cold.  heh

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Mixed drinks are three dollars at the local Elks club so it wouldn’t cost much to erase this cold snap from memory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Between yesterday’s 12z gfs and today’s gfs there is a 10f moderation on low temps for N mass and SNH for Sat am   . Not complaining and we see 40 for Sunday afternoon 

Yep.  Pretty weak sauce for surface temps in my hood for that.  Cold but nothing exciting.

I am expecting the Euro to back off some as well

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Based on other 12 Z runs I can't see Euro backing off.

GFS, ICON (hey!), CMC have backed off since their previous runs, not sure about Uncle Fester.

On an Addams Family note, the only member of the original TV show cast who is still alive is the guy who played Gomez... :( 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

12z GFS was about the same as 00z. If anything Friday is a little colder. This may be a functioning of this moving in a wee bit quicker.

models since 0z taking temps down around -1/-2 at 8pm Friday nite and keeping them from falling more than a few more degrees , than earlier guidance for N mass / S /C NH Which kept dumping them all nite . 10 degree difference between 12z yesterday and 0z last nite as dentrite noted

3 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

holy cow I was there the exact same time (Feb '06). we drove up to Q City, then rode from there up to Jonquiere. then around lac St Jean and by Mt Valin. it was a very fun trip, but super cold. we were all dressed for it and were fine. lots of stops at the remote "relais" to warm up.

One thing i do remember quite well is one of my buddies on a Yamaha, that had the exhaust out the back by the tail light. we got to an intersection and he was stopped, and I thought his sled was on fire-but it was just the exhaust.

That was it!  We used to go with a group of 30 guys, the guy who arranged the trip owns Dalene Flooring in CT. We were prepared for the cold so it didn't bother us however a couple sleds needed help to start on morning. A little use of the leatherman allowed us to "Borrow" the hair dryer in one of the bathrooms at a motel to warm their engines :lol: Cleaning staff shared their extension cord lol. I wish I could remember where, one night we stayed at this huge log cabin like hotel up in the middle of nowhere. I think it may have been in the Jonquiere area?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

models since 0z taking temps down around -1/-2 at 8pm Friday nite and keeping them from falling more than a few more degrees , than earlier guidance for N mass / S /C NH Which kept dumping them all nite 

Maybe we can get some of the rad pits to decouple before sunrise Saturday.