• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The event of the season - 2 days of hell!

Go Kart Mozart

Having gone to school at Lyndon, I sure remember a few cold days up there.
January 94 was special, but February 93 had its fair share of cold days too. One day we didn't want to change out of shorts going to lunch as the old Wheelock dorm was about 1000 degrees on the 4th floor... That short run to the dining hall was pretty cold!
Was also working security overnights at Burke in 97 and remember seeing -28 on the bank thermometer in town one morning heading home.

That said, any time it gets below zero here in Newtonville, it's very impressive.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Saturday is honestly a day when we think about operations and what lifts run… is it high speed with ride time less 7 minutes? Is there shelter at the top of a running lift?  Do we only go to mid-Mtn?  What’s the exposure for any mechanical/maintenance stops that may run 5-10 minutes and are fairly common at ski areas throughout a day if sensors or switches trip out?  Open some lifts at noon when the 850s are about 10-15C warmer?  It looks to come up fast Saturday from -38C to a balmy -25C lol.

Theres a lot of things that can factor in and get discussed.  

I’ve been to whiteface where they closed the summit lift due to wind chills

• Like 1

There are only three times in U.S. records that the wind chill on the currently used scale appears to have hit -100°F. On January 16, 2004, New Hampshire’s Mount Washington Observatory, notorious for its harsh winter conditions, recorded a temperature of -41.8 degrees and a wind of 87.4 mph, leading to a wind chill of -102.6°F.

• Like 2

Interestingly, the wind chill of -100°F degrees in McGrath wouldn’t have even qualified for an NWS wind chill advisory, Brettschneider noted. This is because the wind was only 7 mph at the time, and NWS offices in Alaska do not issue wind chill advisories or warnings unless the wind is expected to be sustained at 15 mph or more for at least three hours.“

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

There are only three times in U.S. records that the wind chill on the currently used scale appears to have hit -100°F. On January 16, 2004, New Hampshire’s Mount Washington Observatory, notorious for its harsh winter conditions, recorded a temperature of -41.8 degrees and a wind of 87.4 mph, leading to a wind chill of -102.6°F.

Jan 04 was nasty. We were weenieing out over the obs back on WWBB. They hit either -45 or -46 for a low during that.

• Like 1

I saw -30 on a bank thermometer (always known for their accuracy) walking to school in Barre, VT in 6th or 7th grade. Stopped at Dunkin Donuts and got a hot chocolate and had the same spill experience as the poster above. A couple of years later heard a radio announcer say it was -40 in Randolph, VT. That was in the way to school too, the bus driver had the local country station playing. 

• Like 1

Hummm,

Whiteface earned the nickname Iceface for a reason. New York winters can be brutally cold, we’re talking colder than Antarctica, cold. During a cold spell in 2016, the summit of New York’s fifth-highest mountain once reached -114℉ with wind chill.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/politics/blogs/vote-up/2016/02/15/youre-cold--114-summit-ny-mountain/80406860/

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Jan 04 was nasty. We were weenieing out over the obs back on WWBB. They hit either -45 or -46 for a low during that.

I remember it being the first time I ever saw schools in SNE being closed due to cold.    I know it had happened way back in the day but never that I had seen

Still have fond memories of skiing Saddleback some time in the mid-eighties on a day that chased most people off the mountain. Wind chills were certain below zero at the base and well below up high. I loved being out in it though and then we had some nice squalls blow in later in the afternoon. At one point it was just me and a ski patrol riding up the T-bar to the summit. They were probably worried I'd get in trouble. :D

2 hours ago, cleetussnow said:

I skied in -30 at Stowe in 2018.  The wind so bad we could not ski at the summit, so we had to stay on the resort side and ski there only all weekend.  It was bad.  I had a charity ski race to be in otherwise I would have stayed home.  I wore my snowmobile gear and that mostly worked.  

Snowmobiling at twin mountain in I think it was 94. Came back late from the bar and decided not to put the sleds on the trailer. Plugged in the block heater on the truck and went to bed. Next day you couldn't turn over the snowmobiles or the truck. Figured we could just muscle the sleds onto the trailer. My brother drops the front ski on his privates between the rail and the bed. Not pretty...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2