Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 31 - Feb 1 Ice Possibilities

Holston_River_Rambler

5 minutes ago, Matthew70 said:

They can have that ice & sleet. I will take my cold rain & be happy.  

Just looking at weather underground obs for Smyrna, looks like freezing temps are right at the I-65 corridor. You all have an ESE wind.  Theirs is from the northwest.  If your wind switches and comes out of the west or north....that might be telling.

• Like 1

I did notice by the looks of the radar it does go way back into TX (Deep into the heart of TX, as they say) also it appears the precip around Memphis has more of an easterly, slight NE movement for the time. Meaning more areas of N MS will likey get involved this time and of course middle TN. Looks like it’s about to be knocking on the door Of the western plateau-there is kind of a strange finger that has developed east in Rutherford Co and extending east.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, footballknox said:

Any chance the cold air continues to move eastward to get the TN valley/ Knoxville area in on the action? 

Not really. Even if temps do get below freezing, it would barely get there, and for a short period of time at that. With warm ground temps, I don't think it would really be eventful regardless. This is a West and Middle TN event. 

• Like 2

Any chance the cold air continues to move eastward to get the TN valley/ Knoxville area in on the action? 

Here’s a couple of pictures that show what a difference a couple of degrees makes. These two pictures taken minutes apart. The top one was 29 degrees in South Memphis, the bottom picture was in North Memphis at 26 degrees.

3758126aa5eabb286fc95896ca5cd859.png
5a4e24579f6f1d2c4180e8188ae70a7d.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It appears the freezing line has pushed as far east & south as it going to. I65 west to NW seems to be the line.  Temp remains steady here at 33. Schools should have waited to close.  I guess they wanted to use a snow day since they have used none of the 12 they are allowed.  I wish they would take a week of snow days & add to fall break here.  Make it a 2 week fall break.  They don’t need many some days anymore. 

9 minutes ago, Knoxtron said:

Currently 30° on the plateau between Chatt and Crossville and lightly raining. Hit freezing last night around 2am but appears the ground/surfaces are to warm for anything.

Pretty much the same boat here, but 32 instead of 30. I was looking at Wunderground temp maps earlier and saw it was a bit cooler there so I was wondering how you had fared. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Knoxtron said:

Currently 30° on the plateau between Chatt and Crossville and lightly raining. Hit freezing last night around 2am but appears the ground/surfaces are to warm for anything.

Well spoke to soon haha

31.1°, heavy freezing fog/drizzle, trees starting to glisten and rhododendron starting to fall over 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Silas Lang said:

Man, why ain't more people posting? Was hoping to see some reports! Pics? Observations? 

I'm close to mm 30 on I-65. Got about .1" of glaze on elevated surfaces here. Nothing on the roads best I can tell. Temp bottomed out at 29. Currently holding at 30. Curious to see how temps recover today and if there is some chance of a little more tomorrow morning. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Coach B said:

I'm close to mm 30 on I-65. Got about .1" of glaze on elevated surfaces here. Nothing on the roads best I can tell. Temp bottomed out at 29. Currently holding at 30. Curious to see how temps recover today and if there is some chance of a little more tomorrow morning. 

Roads are pretty bad in west Tn, especially the back roads.  My road is essentially a block of ice.  As my dad would say, “it’s slicker than owl crap out there”..  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, AMZ8990 said:

Roads are pretty bad in west Tn, especially the back roads.  My road is essentially a block of ice.  As my dad would say, “it’s slicker than owl crap out there”..  lol

My dad's favorite was "it's slicker than snot!" I guess we didn't have as many owls in WV where I grew up...  :)

• Like 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic