Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

58 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

2nd wettest meteorological winter on record. Going to be interesting to see how this translates to spring flooding. It’s been a heck of a winter, however 1st place is on a whole different planet. 

1CA408AA-6F5B-487A-810C-A4811363FD6B.jpeg

Congrats on a very nice meteorological winter

2nd wettest meteorological winter on record. Going to be interesting to see how this translates to spring flooding. It’s been a heck of a winter, however 1st place is on a whole different planet. 
1CA408AA-6F5B-487A-810C-A4811363FD6B.thumb.jpeg.8f0b349c5f758edb3d91348d9e40161e.jpeg

Jesus. I wonder that the 1880-81 winter was like. Do snow records go back that far?

2 hours ago, mnchaserguy said:

Jesus. I wonder that the 1880-81 winter was like. Do snow records go back that far?

Unfortunately it looks like Minneapolis did not keep records at the time, however at Detroit it is the 2nd snowiest winter on record with 93.6". It held the number one spot until the wonderfully epic Winter of 2013-14 dethroned it with 94.9". Also, the book "The Long Winter" by Laura Ingalls Wilder is a fascinating read, I don't give a damn if it is a children's book lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For February in Madison: 23rd warmest on record, 6th wettest on record.  Snow ended up slightly below average at 11"

For winter as a whole: 15th warmest on record, 13th wettest on record. Snow was slightly above average at 40.4".

(Since 2000 we've had 6 of the 20 warmest winters here, while during the same time we've only had 1 of the coldest 20 winters- 2013/14)

Milwaukee had their 14th warmest February and 5th warmest winter on record.  In terms of precip they had their 2nd wettest February and 10th wettest winter.

21 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Unfortunately it looks like Minneapolis did not keep records at the time, however at Detroit it is the 2nd snowiest winter on record with 93.6". It held the number one spot until the wonderfully epic Winter of 2013-14 dethroned it with 94.9". Also, the book "The Long Winter" by Laura Ingalls Wilder is a fascinating read, I don't give a damn if it is a children's book lol

That I think was a region wide epic winter. It's also Lansings record with nearly 95' inches. Near certain it went over a 100 here.  

We need one of those kinds of winters stat! Talk about hyper active. 

47 minutes ago, Harry said:

That I think was a region wide epic winter. It's also Lansings record with nearly 95' inches. Near certain it went over a 100 here.  

We need one of those kinds of winters stat! Talk about hyper active. 

It would have been wonderful to experience 1880-81, but honestly from all aspects, not just total snowfall, 2013-14 was the dream Winter for this area. Absolutely perfect.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

It would have been wonderful to experience 1880-81, but honestly from all aspects, not just total snowfall, 2013-14 was the dream Winter for this area. Absolutely perfect.

No argument from me about 13-14. That is was. Could be a very long time before this area sees over 100 inches let alone just a shade above 117. That record should hold for a while I suspect. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

No argument from me about 13-14. That is was. Could be a very long time before this area sees over 100 inches let alone just a shade above 117. That record should hold for a while I suspect. 

Not that this matters because I don't think I'll be able to build a time machine lol, but another plus for 2013-14 is that the following Winter had a big dog snowstorm and record cold. The winter of 1881-82 was an absolute furnace of snowless hell.