Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

45 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I still remember complaining on WWBB about it.  :guitar:

Haha, yep. And then the epic JB winter forecast bust the next winter.

22 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

If I recall, there was a lot of complaints on WWBB that winter. 

March 2001 storm. That was entertaining.

Interesting graphic showing how lame even last winter was for a large portion of the subforum even compared to this year up to this point.  Last Feb. southern half of LOT to DTW cashed in to offset those deficits.

Fnum1umXkAE38kP.jpeg.jpg

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

This winter definitely feels more lame than last winter imby and that graphic backs it up.

Snow on the ground at Christmas definitely gives me the rose colored glasses to this winter to date. 

Fairly deep snowpack (by this winter's standards) heading into tonight. Good radiational cooling set up, the typical cold spots my make a run deep into the negative teens. 

59 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Interesting graphic showing how lame even last winter was for a large portion of the subforum even compared to this year up to this point.  Last Feb. southern half of LOT to DTW cashed in to offset those deficits.

Fnum1umXkAE38kP.jpeg.jpg

That week in November really padded the stats in South Bend. 30.2" in November, 8.9" in December, and 7.5" in January. 46.6" on the season...Last year at this time we had 24.8". 

3 hours ago, Cary67 said:

Fnum1umXkAE38kP.jpeg.jpg

Interesting graphic. Side note, I see your phone does the same annoying thing mine does when making a post lol. 

Crazy enough, with the half inch of snow today, Detroit actually is in an exact tie with last season to date. Both 2021-22 & 2022-23 were at 19.2" thru Jan 30th. Avg to Date is 24.2".

Last season finished at 47.1", which is a 2.1" above avg but about 6" above the longterm avg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Here's a little bone for beavis.

GFS has 468 dm thicknesses getting into northern Maine in 3-4 days (actually has a pocket of 462 dm thicknesses in Canada!).  Euro looks like it doesn't quite make it into Maine but it's very close.

Yeah, I've been tracking that over the past couple of days. When was the last time we've seen a 462 dm thickness anywhere on a NA map, and a 468 dm thickness in the US?

I know we often see very intense short-lived cold outbreaks here (late January 2019 is Exhibit A - ugh).  But what will happen in New England is crazy - basically 36 hours of intense cold, then an incredibly quick warm-up to normal+ as if it never happened.

2 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Yeah, I've been tracking that over the past couple of days. When was the last time we've seen a 462 dm thickness anywhere on a NA map, and a 468 dm thickness in the US?

I know we often see very intense short-lived cold outbreaks here (late January 2019 is Exhibit A - ugh).  But what will happen in New England is crazy - basically 36 hours of intense cold, then an incredibly quick warm-up to normal+ as if it never happened.

That's example what happened in our sub during the January 2019 outbreak.  The Sunday following the Thursday in this graphic pushed 50+ degrees...

unnamed.png