Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

2 hours ago, nwohweather said:

I think 2013-14 was a bad thing in hindsight, everyone is disappointed when they don’t have a UP winter in the damn lower Great Lakes region :lol:

We were spoiled with a lot of great winters that definitely made expectations extra high. This Winter has really been a widespread stinker but even all the complaints about the last several winters, at least locally, don't make sense to me because while they were not great they were not bad at all.  Winters like this make you appreciate even the average ones. We definitely made a nice big leap in snowfall totals this past week, but at the halfway point of Winter no idea what the rest is going to bring.  February is looking to start pretty zzzzz unlike recent years, but who knows if that will stay the course or not.

Impressive the difference across the region. I’ll go with a solid A- so far this winter. 60+ days and counting consecutive of snow cover. 15” storm right after New Years. Already surpassed our seasonal average. If we can keep the snow pack to mid March and tack on average snow from here on out this is a slam dunk A grade winter. 

• Like 2

I'd prob go F+ at this point, the + being for the legit bitter cold/1" snow depth ground blizzard before Christmas. 

Our last snowstorm with cajones was way back in Nov 2018 when we got 12.8".  Been paying for that one ever since, as we've only cracked the 6" mark once (6.3") in January 2021.  That storm in Nov '18 was awesome though.  I'd almost be willing to do another 4-season stretch of mostly sub 6"ers to experience another one like that one.

9 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

I'd prob go F+ at this point, the + being for the legit bitter cold/1" snow depth ground blizzard before Christmas. 

Our last snowstorm with cajones was way back in Nov 2018 when we got 12.8".  Been paying for that one ever since, as we've only cracked the 6" mark once (6.3") in January 2021.  That storm in Nov '18 was awesome though.  I'd almost be willing to do another 4-season stretch of mostly sub 6"ers to experience another one like that one.

Woah, did not realize you have been starved for a big dog that long, I remember when you had the hot hand for quite sometime. Personally, I’m ready to punt this winter. 

11 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Impressive the difference across the region. I’ll go with a solid A- so far this winter. 60+ days and counting consecutive of snow cover. 15” storm right after New Years. Already surpassed our seasonal average. If we can keep the snow pack to mid March and tack on average snow from here on out this is a slam dunk A grade winter. 

It's definitely been an "A" Winter in Minneapolis. 

Here, right as we enter the midway point of Winter, I have to say my grade has bumped up to a "C-" 

November had a surprise heavy burst of snow on the 12th where it puked the biggest flakes I've ever seen, and then the Arctic front on the 19th dropped a few inches with below 0 windchills.

The December 23rd storm with temperatures near 0 and wind chills of -30 creating blizzard conditions may have fallen short of initial accumulation potential but it was pretty sweet to see 2 days before Christmas.  Then waking up Christmas morning to a fresh and unexpected 2" blanket of new snowfall which covered the old drifty snow and made for an absolutely courier and Ives Christmas scene

January was the definition of dumpster fire until last week. All of a sudden we're over 11" on the month thanks to 3.7" & 6.2" storms this past week, both caked to everything, the latter of which was a good storm, and we have snowpack in place for the cold

Don't think February is gonna save us again, like the last couple of winters. 3rd year Ninas can be tough. Oh well, maybe we can find one decent event the rest of the way. Otherwise, here's to a better one for next winter.
The best that can be said is that the ensembles currently have an active non-torch look out towards mid month. But we know how that goes, plus it'll be mainly doldrums until then.

It's unfortunate that there wasn't a more widespread warning criteria snowfall event in this recent more active stretch. And that the short-wave for what might have been the semi-annual end of January to GHD period storm got buried in the southwest.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

The best that can be said is that the ensembles currently have an active non-torch look out towards mid month. But we know how that goes, plus it'll be mainly doldrums until then.

It's unfortunate that there wasn't a more widespread warning criteria snowfall event in this recent more active stretch. And that the short-wave for what might have been the semi-annual end of January to GHD period storm got buried in the southwest.

Yeah, earlier ensemble runs were hinting at the potential for our GHD event, but that went poof. Our luck has been sh*tty with these favorable periods. And they've been fleeting chances. Alas, thats how it goes sometimes. Especially in clunker winters. We'll see if we can pull a rabbit out the rest of the way...

1 hour ago, Chicago WX said:

Don't think February is gonna save us again, like the last couple of winters. 3rd year Ninas can be tough. Oh well, maybe we can find one decent event the rest of the way. Otherwise, here's to a better one for next winter.

It's almost like 2000-01, but without the spectacular December.  Just a minor difference.  :lol:

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

It's almost like 2000-01, but without the spectacular December.  Just a minor difference.  :lol:

lol, yeah. Of course Jan and Feb 2001 didn't torch, the pattern just went dormant. And the only "real" 3 events during those two months were rainers. :arrowhead: