• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335

In the wake of the system that brought Baltimore, New York City (Central Park and JFK Airport), Philadelphia, and Washington, DC their first measurable snowfall of the season, a seasonably cold day will follow.

A cooler than normal first week of February in what will likely be a warmer than normal month overall is underway. The developing cool period will be highlighted by a brief Arctic blast. Saturday could be the coldest day with the temperature rising only into the upper teens and lower 20s during the daytime after a morning low in the single digits to low teens in New York City and possibly below zero outside the City.

Afterward, moderation will rapidly commence. The potential exists for temperatures to run above to much above normal through mid-month. Both the CFSv2 and EPS weeklies show much above normal temperatures for the second week of February.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.2°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.6°C for the week centered around January 25. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.32°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.70°C. La Niña conditions are beginning to fade and they should evolve to neutral conditions during late winter or early spring.

The SOI was +6.22 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +0.911 today.

On January 30 the MJO was in Phase 3 at an amplitude of 2.072 (RMM). The January 29-adjusted amplitude was 2.458 (RMM).

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, JustinRP37 said:

There are quite a few states that derive quite a bit of economic activity from winter: Colorado, Utah, Montana, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, to name a few. Poor winters do hurt many areas, especially seasonal areas. 

Doesn't matter to the haters. They don't care about any of that. It disrupts the commute in NJ. It costs money to plow and salt. No one here cares about winter sports. The only people I know that ski other than what I read here are all people over 60. Both of them. Same for fishing, really. We are becoming a nation of couch potatoes who can't handle some flurries on the streets. Might as well work from home.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Doesn't matter to the haters. They don't care about any of that. It disrupts the commute in NJ. It costs money to plow and salt. No one here cares about winter sports. The only people I know that ski other than what I read here are all people over 60. Both of them. Same for fishing, really. We are becoming a nation of couch potatoes who can't handle some flurries on the streets. Might as well work from home.

by default i should hate winter as a skateboarder, but a lot of people somehow neglect the beauty that this season brings. makes me kinda sad to hear how much people dislike it, there's literally nothing like the peace and serenity that a snowstorm brings. people are too caught up in their little world of social media and screen time to just sit outside and listen to the amazing silence during a snowstorm. not to get too deep into it but my mother unexpectedly passed in december at way too young of an age. from my early childhood she always instilled the beauty of what nature brings, especially with snow. thats why im so hellbent on us actually getting a storm this winter. funny enough it drove me to this forum which has become one of my fav things to read throughout the day. 

anyway. yes, nation full of couch potato morons. agree

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

JFK Airport recorded its first measurable snow of the season today with 0.2”.

I hope they measured by 7 am, that report was late in coming lol.

Also it's weird that NYC records 0.4 and JFK records 0.2 when the more south and east you went, the more snow there was.  That 0.2 is probably much more accurate than the 0.4 figure was.

58 minutes ago, vegan_edible said:

by default i should hate winter as a skateboarder, but a lot of people somehow neglect the beauty that this season brings. makes me kinda sad to hear how much people dislike it, there's literally nothing like the peace and serenity that a snowstorm brings. people are too caught up in their little world of social media and screen time to just sit outside and listen to the amazing silence during a snowstorm. not to get too deep into it but my mother unexpectedly passed in december at way too young of an age. from my early childhood she always instilled the beauty of what nature brings, especially with snow. thats why im so hellbent on us actually getting a storm this winter. funny enough it drove me to this forum which has become one of my fav things to read throughout the day. 

I sympathize, my mom passed away at the age of 44, when I was only 16.  That happened during a horribly sucky time for winter weather (the early 90s)

• Sad 4

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I sympathize, my mom passed away at the age of 44, when I was only 16.  That happened during a horribly sucky time for winter weather (the early 90s)

my condolences liberty. i'm 27 and still in shock. really holding out hope we get some good snow this year, i really need that serenity

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vegan_edible said:

my condolences liberty. i'm 27 and still in shock. really holding out hope we get some good snow this year, i really need that serenity

Thanks man that's greatly appreciated!  She would have been utterly shocked at the big winters we had starting with 93-94 and 95-96 and even more so from 02-03 onwards...I never got to experience any of that during my grade school days.  She would have loved it too, we used to take long walks in the snow (when we did get snow) when she was going through her lupus flareups, it really helped her.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, vegan_edible said:

You have my fullest condolences for the untimely passing of your mother.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Thanks man that's greatly appreciated!  She would have been utterly shocked at the big winters we had starting with 93-94 and 95-96 and even more so from 02-03 onwards...I never got to experience any of that during my grade school days.  She would have loved it too, we used to take long walks in the snow (when we did get snow) when she was going through her lupus flareups, it really helped her.

wow, very sad she couldn't experience some of those block buster winters with you, but still so glad to hear you hold those memories tightly with you. its a bit odd for me because i'm new to the area, ive lived in westchester for under a year, but i'm from albany originally. man am i missing the storms that would roll through there. I remember my senior year of high school 2013/2014 it seemed like in late jan/february a 4 inch event was equivalent to a dusting. After that I moved to savannah, ga for college and obviously missed out besides being home for holiday break, then did a 1.5 year stint in socal before i ended up moving back east with a big craving for snow

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Good evening Liberty/Vegan-edible. After all these years, even if the well of tears finally runs dry, the love you and your mother had for each other will never die. Stay well, as always…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good evening Liberty/Vegan-edible. After all theses years, even if the well of tears finally runs dry, the love you and your mother had for each other will never die. Stay well, as always…

much love to you rclab. I have to say this is a fantastic community ive stumbled into, before this winter i had no clue about weather really, besides what you hear on the news. but you all have educated me greatly

also

i guess snowman19 really dipped on us huh?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vegan_edible said:

Hello--this isn't my subforum but I lurk here occasionally. I am so, so sorry for your loss--you have my codolences. I can't even imagine dealing with that at 27...I will certainly pray for you and your family--blessings *prayer emoji*

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

It's really simple-- if they're going to villify winter they shouldn't talk about how horrible climate change is either.

Pick a side.

Really, winter does suck for most people; after 31 years in the mental health field, I can tell you many people suffer from depression in winter, simply because it is winter. It's called Seasonal Affective Disorder ( SAD ). People will sometimes even get it in spring or summer if the weather is cloudy and rainy for extended periods. OTOH, many people find the brightness of snow to lift up their spirits some. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

Idiots salted, even main roads were okay.  Now we have salt on the roads that can be plowed.  I mean, 0.3"?  I get it, the children going to school? Afraid of lawsuits from idiotic drivers?  Somebody has to step up and make adult decisions...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dark Star said:

Idiots salted, even main roads were okay.  Now we have salt on the roads that can be plowed.  I mean, 0.3"?  I get it, the children going to school? Afraid of lawsuits from idiotic drivers?  Somebody has to step up and make adult decisions...

selfishly the salt has ruined my ability to skate after work. also, not selfishly, absolutely massive waste of time, resources and environmental harm done for what in reality is a glorified dusting... i woke up this morning and my complex had salted the parking lot, ok that makes sense, i pull out onto state route 22... salt everywhere. what the hell is happening 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, vegan_edible said:

much love to you rclab. I have to say this is a fantastic community ive stumbled into, before this winter i had no clue about weather really, besides what you hear on the news. but you all have educated me greatly

also

i guess snowman19 really dipped on us huh?

Meh, a lot of people have left here. You should have seen some of the characters that used to show up; an energy trader who would scream at people, and threatened another poster with being his footstool for 250 k a year, which got a few great responses here, another poster Mulen would just jump in with some hilarious observation then disappear, then there was Pamela who I guess was trans and moved to Montana or someplace. We had a chemist from Merck who meticulously measured snowfall in CNJ, and others who I'm sure I left out. There's not been much winter weather to really discuss for the last two years. 

13 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Meh, a lot of people have left here. You should have seen some of the characters that used to show up; an energy trader who would scream at people, and threatened another poster with being his footstool for 250 k a year, which got a few great responses here, another poster Mulen would just jump in with some hilarious observation then disappear, then there was Pamela who I guess was trans and moved to Montana or someplace. We had a chemist from Merck who meticulously measured snowfall in CNJ, and others who I'm sure I left out. There's not been much winter weather to really discuss for the last two years. 

RU just posted this morning

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

I hope they measured by 7 am, that report was late in coming lol.

Also it's weird that NYC records 0.4 and JFK records 0.2 when the more south and east you went, the more snow there was.  That 0.2 is probably much more accurate than the 0.4 figure was.

I got about 0.1" of snow in Astoria, so that tracks.

• Thanks 1