• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335

3 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Canada is supposed to stay cold at least, yes? Seems better than Jan where cold was scoured out of all of North America. At the very least doesn’t that by itself allow for some chances if we get “lucky,” or is the ridge simply expected to be so strong it won’t matter?

After this weekend the next week or two looks very warm, after that maybe it's a bit more reasonable but still going to take a miracle to see snow.  

Our local network Mets have become so over the top. “February feel” for today, well it is February. And “bitter blast” umm no how about routine winter weather. Followed by “rapid recovery” umm no that is not a recovery that is above normal temperatures. I do think the media does a big part of vilifying winter weather across the nation. How about we look at the loss of jobs that also come with years like this? Or how about minimal work for the landscapers who also plow? Or plow truck drivers not getting any overtime to help with the energy bill? Or small ski areas struggling to survive? The media always uses terms to scare people from winter. It’s why I honestly don’t even watch local weather anymore. It is just hype hype hype for the ads machine. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Our local network Mets have become so over the top. “February feel” for today, well it is February. And “bitter blast” umm no how about routine winter weather. Followed by “rapid recovery” umm no that is not a recovery that is above normal temperatures. I do think the media does a big part of vilifying winter weather across the nation. How about we look at the loss of jobs that also come with years like this? Or how about minimal work for the landscapers who also plow? Or plow truck drivers not getting any overtime to help with the energy bill? Or small ski areas struggling to survive? The media always uses terms to scare people from winter. It’s why I honestly don’t even watch local weather anymore. It is just hype hype hype for the ads machine. 

I’m tired of the anti winter narrative too, just forecast don’t comment your opinions on what is “nice” vs “not nice” weather. 

• Like 3

Winter is seen as an impediment by the masses, and I think we’re collectively losing our tolerance to harsher conditions as we face milder and milder winters more frequently.  It’s why I often try to imagine what would happen if you took the 2023 metro and dropped it into the middle of a harsh LIA winter where you could waltz across the Hudson (and the Delaware for that matter). 

It’s at least somewhat understandable accounting for how we acclimatize to temperature. Constantly pendulum flipping between torch and deep freeze doesn’t help people deal with colder temps. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JustinRP37 said:

in the middle of a drought: "another beautiful sunny day!"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Winter is seen as an impediment by the masses, and I think we’re collectively losing our tolerance to harsher conditions as we face milder and milder winters more frequently.  It’s why I often try to imagine what would happen if you took the 2023 metro and dropped it into the middle of a harsh LIA winter where you could waltz across the Hudson (and the Delaware for that matter). 

It’s at least somewhat understandable accounting for how we acclimatize to temperature. Constantly pendulum flipping between torch and deep freeze doesn’t help people deal with colder temps. 

We could easily see another month like February 15. We just need the opposite stuck pattern to this winter with a big -epo trough displaced east. It will happen again, maybe even next winter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Winterweatherlover said:

I’m tired of the anti winter narrative too, just forecast don’t comment your opinions on what is “nice” vs “not nice” weather. 

They will always counter with the dangers of ice and snow and how much economic disruption they cause due to lost time at work and school. In short, we would all be better off without winter weather. This is the narrative, and it is one that everyone but folks like us agrees with.Virtually everyone I know is happy with this winter's weather ( well they think it could be warmer ) and even the few flurries yesterday was met with disgust among everyone I talked to. There's a reason people are flocking to the Sunbelt and not Syracuse or St.Paul. But, give it time, we're getting there. We'll see more winters like this. Frankly, I like the snow, but could do without the bitter cold. But I recognize not having it is an ominous sign.

• Like 2

This ugly batch, or is that bitch?----averages a nasty 42degs.(37/47) or about +6 or +7.        Note that 42.0 is the record for February and the month is on an upward tilt.      If this is near an accurate picture of the first 17 days---the last 11 days would need to stay about +5 or less or we'll have another record month on the books.        I think 9 out of the 12 warmest months are from the last 32 years now.        The 12 coldest months have an average age of 123 years!

1675252800-z8dARycalzs.png

And the GFS pitches another shutout:

1676635200-uNVEkEhhcT4.png

5 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

This ugly batch, or is that bitch?----averages a nasty 42degs.(37/47) or about +6 or +7.        Note that 42.0 is the record for February and the month is on an upward tilt.      If this is near an accurate picture of the first 17 days---the last 11 days would need to stay about +5 or less or we'll have another record month on the books.        I think 9 out of the 12 warmest months are from the last 32 years.        The 12 coldest months have an average age of 123 years!

1675252800-z8dARycalzs.png

It would be incredible if Jan/Feb 2023 were the warmest months on record

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

They will always counter with the dangers of ice and snow and how much economic disruption they cause due to lost time at work and school. In short, we would all be better off without winter weather. This is the narrative, and it is one that everyone but folks like us agrees with.Virtually everyone I know is happy with this winter's weather ( well they think it could be warmer ) and even the few flurries yesterday was met with disgust among everyone I talked to. There's a reason people are flocking to the Sunbelt and not Syracuse or St.Paul. But, give it time, we're getting there. We'll see more winters like this. Frankly, I like the snow, but could do without the bitter cold. But I recognize not having it is an ominous sign.

There are quite a few states that derive quite a bit of economic activity from winter: Colorado, Utah, Montana, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, to name a few. Poor winters do hurt many areas, especially seasonal areas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

Agree as I’ve gotten older I don’t really like extreme cold but know it’s necessary to have some sustained cold to get snow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegan_edible said:

believe me, i'd be ecstatic, but the gfs and CMC would need to follow this one up. I really hope they do though, I have my fingers crossed, even though they've been crossed all month 

I’m less not buying it because other models don’t have it and more so because it’s 240 hours out. The lack of cold air gonna likely be a problem for snow all month but a 982 coastal would definitely make things interesting. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

I’m less not buying it because other models don’t have it and more so because it’s 240 hours out. The lack of cold air gonna likely be a problem for snow all month but a 982 coastal would definitely make things interesting. 

at least its something to follow during the week, we haven't really seen a coastal recently on the models. Maybe it could pull through? You're right though 240 hours out is dreamland. Honestly this winter 24 hours out even seems like dreamland

• Like 1