Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western PA Spring 2023 Discussion

Ahoff

3 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

What I don't understand is this new pattern where places further north are hotter than Pittsburgh? These places used to be much colder than Pittsburgh year round, and that no longer appears to be the case in the summertime.

DuBois reached 88F yesterday, breaking the record of 86F set in 1969. It looks like a near certainty to reach 90F+ today. The earliest 90F reading in DuBois was on June 8, 1968.

Similarly, Bradford reached 86F yesterday, tying the record set just last year. Probably won't hit 90F but could come close. The earliest 90F reading at Bradford occurred just last year on June 16th. There were two 90+ readings at BFD last year (including an incredible 93F on June 22, which is one of the hotter readings ever to occur at the site). Prior to last year, it had never reached 90F+ at BFD before the month of July (dating back to 1957).

Interestingly, PIT topped out at just 87 on that 6/8/1968 day you reference. That’s also the year it took us the longest to get our first 80 of the year, on June 5th.

3 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Looks like the DUJ stopped reporting at 10:53 AM, with a temperature of 84F. So maybe the daily record and earliest 90F reading are safe there after all.

DUJ started reporting again, just in time to hit 91.

2 hours ago, Ahoff said:

Might have made it.  The 5 min says it hit 90, but the it was an 89.6, so I imagine they'd do what happened yesterday and round down.  Still time though to officially get there.

As of 5pm the high was 89. But all of the 5 min obs since 5pm have been 90 so we just may make it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Euro wants to tank our dewpoint down into the 20s on Monday, and then keep it the 30s all week. At 18z Monday, the 12z run of the Euro had a 24 degree dewpoint, while the 18z GFS shows 32 degrees at the same time. This is like summer of yesteryear stuff right here.

sfctd-imp.conus.png

I still don’t think I can remember the last time we had highs in the upper 80’s with few points in the 50’s and 40’s, or hell 30’s 

1 hour ago, Ahoff said:

There were hardly any clouds anywhere near where I was.  Was there some smoke higher up?

I really can't imagine we didn't hit 90.

I remember seeing a bit of cumulus develop in my area in the afternoon. If that happened at the airport, I could see where temps could have stalled a bit.

Edit: you can see it on the 5-min obs during the hottest part of the day.

3:30-4:30 pm or so was observing BKN065, or 60-90% cloud cover at 6500 feet.

543ED85E-E48F-488A-9B86-81B99CC98F17.jpeg

6 hours ago, TimB said:

Looks like PIT recorded only a trace, so the days without measurable precip streak has reached 14.

Is a trace considered measurable?  I thought measurable was over a trace, and a trace was like just observed precip.  Like flurries of snow aren’t measured, but a trace.

4 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Is a trace considered measurable?  I thought measurable was over a trace, and a trace was like just observed precip.  Like flurries of snow aren’t measured, but a trace.

Traces are not measurable. So they just saw a few drops of rain at some point. Hence the dry streak is still alive.

On 5/31/2023 at 10:13 PM, TheClimateChanger said:

Dewpoint of 33F at 7 pm is about as low as it gets this time of the year. Sorry for including June 1. When I selected start and end date of 5/31, it ran the numbers for the entire year. Just missed the lowest for that hour by two degrees. The dewpoint was 31F at 7 pm on May 31, 1984.

CD1FFB7E-042D-4145-86BC-A75CD9D812E3.thumb.png.47a9a25a08abaf3292088740f2fb669b.png

Was thinking about this, as dewpoints are once again about as low as they can go, with the last hour coming in at 31. We actually had a dewpoint of 28 on the evening of June 19th last year, which seems pretty impressive. The current obs comes in second for lowest June dewpoint this century.