• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh/Western PA Spring 2023 Discussion

Ahoff

Dewpoint of 33F at 7 pm is about as low as it gets this time of the year. Sorry for including June 1. When I selected start and end date of 5/31, it ran the numbers for the entire year. Just missed the lowest for that hour by two degrees. The dewpoint was 31F at 7 pm on May 31, 1984.

CD1FFB7E-042D-4145-86BC-A75CD9D812E3.thumb.png.47a9a25a08abaf3292088740f2fb669b.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Dewpoint of 33F at 7 pm is about as low as it gets this time of the year. Sorry for including June 1. When I selected start and end date of 5/31, it ran the numbers for the entire year. Just missed the lowest for that hour by two degrees. The dewpoint was 31F at 7 pm on May 31, 1984.

CD1FFB7E-042D-4145-86BC-A75CD9D812E3.thumb.png.47a9a25a08abaf3292088740f2fb669b.png

Its been absolutely gorgeous, but going to need some rain here pretty soon. Noticing some lawns are starting to get that late July / early August look with some brown spots showing up. I was wondering about the dew points, pretty low for the time of year for sure. That map of nearly 0 qpf for 384hr is pretty rare in and of itself especially added onto the streak we are already on.

13 hours ago, TimB said:

Underperforming on high temps this week at PIT. Something to watch on these hot days coming up.

Not surprising with summer temps.  They usually do underperform.

I imagine the easterly wind direction is the cause.  Ron Smiley mentioned the winds turn SW in the coming day, so maybe it pushes those temps higher, but expectation is upper 80s at most at this time.

Just now, Ahoff said:

Not surprising with summer temps.  They usually do underperform.

I imagine the easterly wind direction is the cause.  Ron Smiley mentioned the winds turn SW in the coming day, so maybe it pushes those temps higher, but expectation is upper 80s at most at this time.

Today could be the best diurnal range of this stretch at PIT. Low this morning was 51.

13 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I’d like to see the temps. Can’t imagine many if any of those had 80+ temps 

57 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I’d like to see the temps. Can’t imagine many if any of those had 80+ temps 

2020 did not. That was a cold airmass.

Doesn’t look like any of the others featured a high above 75. Most of them had lows in the mid 30s to low 40s.

1 hour ago, TimB said:

Just looked at the stats for PIT and we have had exactly two hourly observations with a dewpoint of 60+ in 2023: 9pm on April 5th (61) and 3pm on May 13th (60). That’s it.

Maybe climate change can turn us to a semi arid climate and have wet winters. Let’s get the flagstaff climate! 100 inches of snow, summers where dew point is always under 50

11 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Maybe climate change can turn us to a semi arid climate and have wet winters. Let’s get the flagstaff climate! 100 inches of snow, summers where dew point is always under 50

The only way you’ll really ever get the Flagstaff climate is to move there. Aside from that, good luck.

52 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Starting 5 degrees warmer today than yesterday, that's a good thing if we're going to try and hit 90.  However, there must be some smoke in the air as reports are of partly cloudy skies, but I see no clouds at all.  So, we'll see.

Hard to say. Seems like dewpoints are forecast to be a little higher than when I looked yesterday (50s instead of 40s), so that probably hurts us a little. Still, the 9:00 hourly obs was 68 vs. 65 at the same time yesterday. Just feels like the kind of day where you’re going to get 89’d.

10 minutes ago, TimB said:

Hard to say. Seems like dewpoints are forecast to be a little higher than when I looked yesterday (50s instead of 40s), so that probably hurts us a little. Still, the 9:00 hourly obs was 68 vs. 65 at the same time yesterday. Just feels like the kind of day where you’re going to get 89’d.

Which is most forecasted 90 days.  I totally expect 89 even 88 to be possible.  Dews are still low enough though, so maybe.

27 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Which is most forecasted 90 days.  I totally expect 89 even 88 to be possible.  Dews are still low enough though, so maybe.

Not off to a good start. Only 68 at Pittsburgh as of 9 am, but Youngstown is 75, DuBois is 74, and even Bradford is 72. Looks like the northern parts of the CWA should easily crest 90, but not sure about PIT & south.

5 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Not off to a good start. Only 68 at Pittsburgh as of 9 am, but Youngstown is 75, DuBois is 74, and even Bradford is 72. Looks like the northern parts of the CWA should easily crest 90, but not sure about PIT & south.

5 min obs are up to 73 at KPIT, still running 3 degrees ahead of yesterday at the same time, so we'll see.

14 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Calm winds now, aren’t they saying the winds should pick up a little out of the northeast? That could actually help us a little in this scenario.

6 minutes ago, TimB said:

Calm winds now, aren’t they saying the winds should pick up a little out of the northeast? That could actually help us a little in this scenario.

What I don't understand is this new pattern where places further north are hotter than Pittsburgh? These places used to be much colder than Pittsburgh year round, and that no longer appears to be the case in the summertime.

DuBois reached 88F yesterday, breaking the record of 86F set in 1969. It looks like a near certainty to reach 90F+ today. The earliest 90F reading in DuBois was on June 8, 1968.

Similarly, Bradford reached 86F yesterday, tying the record set just last year. Probably won't hit 90F but could come close. The earliest 90F reading at Bradford occurred just last year on June 16th. There were two 90+ readings at BFD last year (including an incredible 93F on June 22, which is one of the hotter readings ever to occur at the site). Prior to last year, it had never reached 90F+ at BFD before the month of July (dating back to 1957).