• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh/Western PA Spring 2023 Discussion

Ahoff

Looks like PIT had some obs this morning that included snow, so with the graupel showers yesterday that’s two T’s to start the month. PIT has never observed frozen precip 3 days in the same May (though my backyard did in 2020, and it was actual snow all 3 times). Could it happen tomorrow?

Looks like PIT had some obs this morning that included snow, so with the graupel showers yesterday that’s two T’s to start the month. PIT has never observed frozen precip 3 days in the same May (though my backyard did in 2020, and it was actual snow all 3 times). Could it happen tomorrow?
Mother's Day weekend 2020 was crazy. I visited someone in New Jersey that weekend. It was snowing there a lot of the day and actually laying on the grass. It was cold, wearing masks everywhere at the height of the shutdowns. It was miserable.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, TimB said:

Just kidding. Those 6 hours of rain/snow obs yesterday were recorded as 0, not T.

SXUS71 KPBZ 022126
RERPIT

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA
0525 PM EDT TUE MAY 02 2023

...RECORD LOW HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT PITTSBURGH PA...

A RECORD LOW HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 44 WAS SET AT PITTSBURGH PA TODAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 47 SET IN 1897.

$$

3 hours ago, Ahoff said:

Looks like Euro is pumping up the heat next week.  It's flirting with a mini heat wave.  That will probably be scaled back once we get closer, but mid-upper 80s look possible, at least now.

If 92 is reached on Thursday, it’ll be the earliest at PIT.

1 hour ago, Ahoff said:

I mean, we know it won't it that high.  Wait, you mean it's never reached 92 at the airport in May?

All 92+ in May were recorded 1942 or prior. There are a number of such temps at prior observing sites, including a monthly record of 95 that was reached as early as 5/2/1887.

Interesting below:

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on how we can improve our messaging! The National Weather Service (NWS) currently uses “Watch”, “Warning”, and “Advisory” headlines to alert the public of weather and water hazards. 

The NWS Hazard Simplification (Haz Simp) project has conducted extensive research on how we might improve our alerting system. In 2021, based on this research and feedback from our partners and public, the NWS decided to replace the “Advisory” headline in favor of plain language headlines. An example is shown below. NOTE: This change will not be made before 2025. 

Current Winter Weather Advisory headline: ...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM TO 8 PM EST...

Future plain language headline: ...SNOW: Hazardous travel in snow and blowing snow from 9 AM to 8 PM EST...

This survey will ask for your feedback on how NWS should display Watches, Warnings, and the forthcoming plain language headlines. Feedback will inform how NWS alerts will be displayed on maps and forecast pages in the future. For more information on the Haz Simp project, please visit our webpage: https://www.weather.gov/hazardsimplification/