Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

-15F now, car was slow to turn over this morning.

Looks like HIE and SLK hitting -20F or lower.

Absolutely bottoming out. Way over this.  Trees and decks popping with the cold.

06C69CA9-49DE-4681-8373-A92DAE61FEF8.gif.e3815de182709f9438084a1dd39781a1.gif

Temps down here didn’t bottom out as much as forecasted, was looking for single digits and ended up at 14. Got to think lack of snow cover here played some part?

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Absolutely bottoming out. Way over this.  Trees and decks popping with the cold.

Really sneaky cold shot..esp up there in NNE. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Really sneaky cold shot..esp up there in NNE. 

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It really moderated down here though.   Models were showing below zero temps not that long ago.  Lowest I got to was 7F

Yeah timed it just right for the radiators too.  Best clear/calm developed after midnight.

Was nothing impressive at 0F at 12am at MVL and struggling to drop, then conditions got more favorable for a drop and the ASOS had a -17F within the last hour.

Sky has that crystal clear, surface of the moon cold type feel, ha.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

any other year this is standard winter cold, lake geroge is wide open with almost no hints at ice...I guess the warmest winter on record does these things

Actually hit 13 here, not bad especially with high clouds overhead. Definitely looks and feels like snow out there, seems like the first time all season, sheesh. If the snow could ever make it to the ground, I am sure it won't take much to accumulate despite the raging sun angle this time of the year, Lol...

12 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Sequoia national park point and click had up to 58” in their 24 hour forecast .  Also Many inches of QPF just dumped over elevations that are usually well below snow level In S Cal. 

Snow levels in Central Cali we’re down to 1500’

and the Hollywood sign had been dusted with snow as well 

Any good links?

15 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Sequoia national park point and click had up to 58” in their 24 hour forecast .  Also Many inches of QPF just dumped over elevations that are usually well below snow level In S Cal. 

Snow levels in Central Cali we’re down to 1500’

and the Hollywood sign had been dusted with snow as well 

Sequoia gets pretty high though. There’s also lower parts of the park but like several of the main parts of the park (like general Sherman tree) are around 7k. 

There was this little town one time I passed through called Coalfax just east of Sacramento in the Sierra foothills. I think the elevation was around 2,000 feet. That’s the type of town that is probably getting crushed in this. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Sequoia gets pretty high though. There’s also lower parts of the park but like several of the main parts of the park (like general Sherman tree) are around 7k. 

There was this little town one time I passed through called Coalfax just east of Sacramento in the Sierra foothills. I think the elevation was around 2,000 feet. That’s the type of town that is probably getting crushed in this. 

Yeah some of those smaller town 2-3K for sure. I was thinking about them. Oak hurst is one of those towns on south side of Yosemite entrance.