Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

5 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

We’re actually staying right up the road from storyland but we would probably get arrested if we went inside in the winter.

I was there once or twice when our daughter was small.  But yeah in the summer but they used to open during the holidays.

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

18z GFS drank too many beers while grilling dinner this balmy evening. It decided to go full-on weenie with 2/26 and 2/28 back to back. 

Considering the variations over the last 24 hours of run cycles...the whole period strikes me as though the physical processes "detect" the underlying index scaled ginormous potential, but the smaller scaled movements over top are doing so, so fast the model can't use one to really exhaust that volatility.  It seems like every virga shrouded CU the model tries to run through the 80 to 60W window the model tries to turn it into a 965 mb low going S of NS.     

Yeah... the -NAO is delaying the last several runs...That's why that GFS is doing that.  Prior to about 18z yesterday, the NAO blocking was faster to retrograde, and it was timed so that the 28th would be forced to slow down a bit.   Now, ...it's more like Mar 2 .. 5, and that leaves these leading systems to careen east in the otherwise compressed/gradient saturated heights.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I guess you could argue east based nao helping. But not from the block everyone is hoping for. 

Exactly...and when half the block is actually eclipsing the British Isles aspect of the NW European continent ...how east does it have to be before we can just call it a block and leave it at that... It does start rero motion but not until this month is gone -

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Exactly...and when half the block is actually eclipsing the British Isles aspect of the NW European continent ...how east does it have to be before we can just call it a block and leave it at that... It does start rero motion but not until this month is gone -

Sometimes those can be better because it doesn’t shove all the cold and the PV to Vancouver lol. Those exotic blocks we all crave can do that which opens up for December all over again. I know it’s not always like that, but some of the models have shown that.