Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

30 minutes ago, George001 said:

H5 looks really interesting on both the gfs and Canadian. The western ridge axis is over Montana instead of off the west coast this time. If that ridge can amp up a bit more we might have a decent storm on our hands.

I couldn't find H5 on Zillow. You buy a house there yet? JK but hey, at least there's a vestige of something to track

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah SSTs in ENSO region stopped being relevant around New Years...the lag puts it well into March at that point. Hopefully prolonged Nina into spring means we'll have a warm spring.

Exactly ...

question is, when?   Even residually the Nina "memory" should promote a warm-ish spring.  But let's assume the 'booster' idea works in favor...   maybe we can get these last several cycles of the deterministic GFS to win through the 20th or so, and get enough snow to ruin the futility while keep us safely inside of aggravatingly at a loss   hahahaha.

J/k... but in all honesty, I wasn't think that this cooler pattern we are in would protract through mid month, but the GEFs at 00z hinted in favor of the oper. a bit more. 

Euro looking pretty interesting at D7....brewing something up to the southwest with a decent high nosing in. Seems like all guidance have something there that may be trackable. Obviously no reason to take it seriously for winter wx until we are closer, but there is a reason to keep an eye on guidance at least.

• Like 3

It's similar to the 00z GGEM with a strong ejection of the lead disturbance ...10th...

Not sure I'm buying that.  The 00z to 12z position of that feature in the D6-7 range was quite the east adjustment, indicative of continuity issues with that aspect.  The following more important trough identity upstream is actually more consistently placed in longitude, and yes ...it times with the GFS -  but the lead aspect is suspect to me.

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro looking pretty interesting at D7....brewing something up to the southwest with a decent high nosing in. Seems like all guidance have something there that may be trackable. Obviously no reason to take it seriously for winter wx until we are closer, but there is a reason to keep an eye on guidance at least.

I've never gone a whole year without using the snow blower so something should happen this month. I'm talking 28 years.

28 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, and potential insurance against a strong el nino next year.

What I’m rooting for is the best of both worlds, the polar vortex weakens significantly (in a way that favors cold and snow for us), and the nina lingers for longer than expected. That could result in a big finish to winter and a weak nino next year.

Just now, DavisStraight said:

I've never gone a whole year without using the snow blower so something should happen this month. I'm talking 28 years.

I haven't even taken mine out of the shed....I usually have it chained to my deck all winter, but it's still sitting in the shed from the warm season.

We'll see if the 2/11-2/12 threat turns into anything interesting. Right now, it's got potential, but it's all about timing. If timing is slightly off like we see on the Euro, then it's mostly rain or nothing.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Definitely a colder end of the EPS. Well cold about to move in anyways.

It's fascinating really...  All these longer term correlations going the other way, while the operational and ( we'll see if it sticks -) now the ens constructing the north Pacific with the AB mode/ridge up there.   I mean I think that's the crucial piece...that construction is setting the wave scaling down stream into a favorable continent/+PNAP...  It even transitively sets the NAO upon a trajectory that might emerge more negative - given time.  We'll see on that...

But if you're a winter enthusiasts, this is what you wanted to see all along - these hints of favorable pointing 'correction vectors'.

Next thing to look for is continuity.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's fascinating really...  All these longer term correlations going the other way, while the operational and ( we'll see if it sticks -) now the ens constructing the north Pacific with the AB mode/ridge up there.   I mean I think that's the crucial piece...that construction is setting the wave scaling down stream into a favorable continent/+PNAP...  It even transitively sets the NAO upon a trajectory that might emerge more negative - given time.  We'll see on that...

But if you're a winter enthusiasts, this is what you wanted to see all along - these hints of favorable pointing 'correction vectors'.

Next thing to look for is continuity.

A nice ridge popping into Santa's fanny helps force the PV south again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't really care, at this point. It's too late for any changes to matter, anyway.

There is actually something interesting about those conditions. Not for this season, but next year. Perhaps quite interesting, but that's TBD. I was curious about the state of the Pacific. So I re-read the following paper over the weekend. Then decided to check the state of affairs. If you look at the status of the sub surface. Plus, the forecast 850 winds. It was a little surprising to me, to discover it's a pretty damn good match to EOF2 from this paper. EOF2 is one of the leading modes of modoki el nino. EOF1 would be the classic east based variety. It's nothing like that one so far. Found that to be pretty interesting. Thought perhaps you would too. 

Leading modes of tropical Pacific subsurface ocean temperature and associations with two types of El Niño

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep42371

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

There is actually something interesting about those conditions. Not for this season, but next year. Perhaps quite interesting, but that's TBD. I was curious about the state of the Pacific. So I re-read the following paper over the weekend. Then decided to check the state of affairs. If you look at the status of the sub surface. Plus, the forecast 850 winds. It was a little surprising to me, to discover it's a pretty damn good match to EOF2 from this paper. EOF2 is one of the leading modes of modoki el nino. EOF1 would be the classic east based variety. It's nothing like that one so far. Found that to be pretty interesting. Thought perhaps you would too. 

Leading modes of tropical Pacific subsurface ocean temperature and associations with two types of El Niño

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep42371

Yea, I already mentioned that in a blog last fall....this is likely to evolve into a modoki el nino next year. 

• Like 3

Things are trending more favorably with the polar vortex. Not a guarantee and I would still say the odds are against us making up enough ground to end up above average snow for the winter. However, things look a lot better than they did even a week ago. It doesn’t happen every year, but in our snowy seasons we go on a run at some point with storm after storm. 2017-2018 was a 4 week run in March, 2010-2011 was a 4 week run from late Dec to late Jan, and 2014-2015 was a 4 week run from late Jan to late Feb. Most years that doesn’t happen, but when it does we make up for lost ground fast.