Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

You typically want to combine the two if you want to go super low in the rad pits…you get the CAA and then the next night it goes calm and you put up a -22F or something. We won’t do this in that event because it’s too fast. But some of the slower ones like Jan 1994 and Jan 2004 were able to do it. 

Yeah those are the cold shots.  You get the wind chill of -30F the day before (like -7F with a breeze) and then get the ambient temp of -30F the morning after with clear/calm.  Real and fake at the same readings lol.

I’ll be staying at the old Loring Air Base. It’s the winter meeting/ride of the northeast snowmobile associations. PA, NY, the New England states and the eastern Canadian provinces, except Quebec. Ride during the day and meetings at night starting Wednesday. I’m going up early to ride with a friend’s daughter and future son in law who bought a pre-cast concrete business in Presque Isle last year. 

32 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I’ll be staying at the old Loring Air Base. It’s the winter meeting/ride of the northeast snowmobile associations. PA, NY, the New England states and the eastern Canadian provinces, except Quebec. Ride during the day and meetings at night starting Wednesday. I’m going up early to ride with a friend’s daughter and future son in law who bought a pre-cast concrete business in Presque Isle last year. 

The old base is in Limestone. 

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah rad pits in calm wind showing -7 is a completely different sensible wx feel to -7 ripping with 25 knot winds. 

You can get -7 in calm winds and be 25-30F a few hours later in daylight. Tomorrow afternoon might be near 0F in spots near NH border and single digits in much of MA with wind. That’s the difference between “fake” cold and these deep layer CAA events. 

You typically want to combine the two if you want to go super low in the rad pits…you get the CAA and then the next night it goes calm and you put up a -22F or something. We won’t do this in that event because it’s too fast. But some of the slower ones like Jan 1994 and Jan 2004 were able to do it. 

In 94 I radiated down to -20 two nights in a row, coldest it's ever been that I can remember.

6 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It doubled down and consolidated some of the energy for a more potent Sat system and still has another wave trailing across the south on Sun with plenty of cold above to tap into. 

It hasn't been typical for it to double down on anything in that range this season, but it's still a long way out. At least there's something else to watch besides ball shrinking cold...

• Like 1