Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, The 4 Seasons said:

No thundersnow with 2/1/21, at least no reports of it that i recall seeing during the event. Last time we had widespread thundersnow in CT was Feb 9th 2017 and Mar 7th 2018.

For a lot of areas west of 91 in New Haven and Fairfield ctys that was the biggest event since Feb 13.

Just got finished remaking all the events for the 20-21 season if anyone's interested @WxWatcher007 you can find them here: 

02.01.21_jdj_snowfall_totals.jpg

my bad thought it was 2001 not 2021... anyway think I'm wrong anyway, think it was the 2003 event

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. I expect some blocking to show up back half of Feb into March. Nothing extreme but good enough especially as wavelengths shorten. I know no one cares to discuss until they’re shoveling but this is why we are here. 

Kind of weird how consistently the OP GFS has been showing a decent pattern in clown range while ensembles are not. (Outside of that 2/10-2/12 period) 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

No thundersnow with 2/1/21, at least no reports of it that i recall seeing during the event. Last time we had widespread thundersnow in CT was Feb 9th 2017 and Mar 7th 2018.

For a lot of areas west of 91 in New Haven and Fairfield ctys that was the biggest event since Feb 13.

Just got finished remaking all the events for the 20-21 season if anyone's interested @WxWatcher007 you can find them here: 

02.01.21_jdj_snowfall_totals.jpg

Yup…did real nice in that one here. Between 16-18”.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Kind of weird how consistently the OP GFS has been showing a decent pattern in clown range while ensembles are not. (Outside of that 2/10-2/12 period) 

Well the ensembles ideas of good patterns have not delivered us anything this year…so let’s try the OP this time lol. Can’t do any worse. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

46 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Mine either moved on or died. Not just my hood, but all around town. I remember in the fall they were darting all over into roads , into traffic. They just disappeared. I hate the FOC’ers.. so hopefully gone for good though I’m sure when the acorn yield returns next fall after a warm dry spring.. they’ll be back 

Have you had any predator birds move into the neighborhood? Hawks, Owls? Maybe coyotes are getting them. 

32 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Have you had any predator birds move into the neighborhood? Hawks, Owls? Maybe coyotes are getting them. 

During a windy day last fall there was a baby owl on my wife's car, it stayed in the garage for most of the night but was gone in the morning. I wonder if the wind blew it out of its nest or blew the whole nest down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Living in the woods have all of the above . Had more bears than usual well into November though 

Very normal to have bears well into November.. even early December. We have a fair amount that come through our yard as well. There was just a story recently on the news of a bear that's hibernating under someone's deck, that's just a few houses up from where we are. He was in his sleep state, so even though his eyes were open, he was still in his hibernation.

2 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Very normal to have bears well into November.. even early December. We have a fair amount that come through our yard as well. There was just a story recently on the news of a bear that's hibernating under someone's deck, that's just a few houses up from where we are. He was in his sleep state, so even though his eyes were open, he was still in his hibernation.

Did they poke the bear? I’d be tossing stones and poking it with a long stick lol

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Mine either moved on or died. Not just my hood, but all around town. I remember in the fall they were darting all over into roads , into traffic. They just disappeared. I hate the FOC’ers.. so hopefully gone for good though I’m sure when the acorn yield returns next fall after a warm dry spring.. they’ll be back 

Probably had a Fisher cat move in

Watch your little guy

4 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. I expect some blocking to show up back half of Feb into March. Nothing extreme but good enough especially as wavelengths shorten. I know no one cares to discuss until they’re shoveling but this is why we are here. 

I agree. Would be odd to have zero blocking the rest of the season after that December giant.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Beware the tulips this March might be more likely but we wait and watch 

The thing is even if the pattern blows, that time of year is still capable of delivering a rogue whopper. The easy thing to do is to pig pile on and carry on down the path of persistence, which also happens to be the path of least resistance.

But we have all seen the shittiest of seasons deliver a bowling ball even in the event no blocking materializes.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The thing is even if the pattern blows, that time of year is still capable of delivering a rogue whopper. The easy thing to do is to pig pile on and carry on down the path of persistence, which also happens to be the path of least resistance.

But we have all seen the shittiest of seasons deliver a bowling ball even in the event no blocking materializes.

Minimum of two advisory and probably warning events N of Pike in the next 8 weeks.  I think the pattern flattens and we get chances, at least at our latitude.