Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

43 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Nice rain bomb on Feb 6 on GFS. 

We take that ...  It's marginal and at this range, it is even money. 

After having passed through a dreadfully awful circumstance by then, where very little (is likely) happened ( although the 2nd refuses to completely disappear and keeps sort of trying - ) at all, uncertainty is a better companion then no love.  

That event is happening more from the polar branch of the westerlies as a Pac delivered impulse, ...perhaps crucially, after the compression of that TPV has rolled out and left.  Once that happens, that opens the door to better logistical chances.

30 minutes ago, tamarack said:

We had short intrusions last January, giving our frost pocket lows of -29 and -30, only the 6th morning in 25 years here to hit -30 or lower.  The last extended (at least a week) cold snap came in Dec 17 into Jan 18.  The week 12/27-1/2 averaged 2.4/-22.1 with a max of 7 and min of -31, running 29° BN.  Extending that to 15 days, 12/25-1/8, the temps were 8.7/-14.1, only 21° BN but including a pair of storms totaling 21" and a max for the span of 22 during the 13" dump on 1/4.  Fort Kent wx

Yeah we had -10s twice here and another shot with a high of +5 and -8 min. 

Amazingly I’m going to finish this Jan with no min below +10. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It does appear though (AT LEAST THROUGH 2/8-2/10 ANYWAY) that my warnings to the warm February boys club about going torchy in Feb in a Nina after Jan was torchy is dangerous because history has shown that usually Feb is colder or at least near normal in La Ninas where that has happened.  88-89 was a good example of it.  Lets hope we don't see Norfolk do as well as they did in February 89 though

Huh?  February looks warm, maybe not +10 like January but easily +4

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah we had -10s twice here and another shot with a high of +5 and -8 min. 

Amazingly I’m going to finish this Jan with no min below +10. 

That is amazing.  Maybe you had clouds on the 11th and 22nd, when I had -3 and -8, respectively.  Those are my only subzero mornings so far; January averages 13 and the previous low was 4 in 2002.

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Maybe that’s why he keeps getting porked? Putting out bad vibes, wishing for everyone else to get screwed? Mother Nature karma 

I’m not saying this is ray , bc he was outside with the fam at 2am just last week enjoying a pasting . In any given snow storm ..I think it’s more like your destined to have someone score twice as much snow as you in any New England snow storm , wether your fringed, it’s elevation dependent, it’s a gradient pattern favoring just north or it’s hit SE mass harder or the Deform misses NW Or even a SWFE w confluence that eats up the NE part of the band . There are so many ways in which any given storm will pork you relative to wherever is favored more . I think it’s a bit harder to take if areas who average significantly less than you double your total in a storm compared to areas up and in but that’s New England snow climo for us in Sne .

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I’m not saying this is ray , bc he was outside with the fam at 2am just last week enjoying a pasting . In any given snow storm ..I think it’s more like your destined to have someone score twice as much snow as you in any New England snow storm , wether your fringed, it’s elevation dependent, it’s a gradient pattern favoring just north or it’s hit SE mass harder or the Deform misses NW Or even a SWFE w confluence that eats up the NE part of the band . There are so many ways in which any given storm will pork you relative to wherever is favored more . I think it’s a bit harder to take if areas who average significantly less than you double your total in a storm compared to areas up and in but that’s New England snow climo for us in Sne .

The pattern has been for me to get bent over in the respectable seasons, but do relatively "well" in the rats....a la 2019-2020 and this year. 

Good recipe for going several years without sniffing average snows.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The fact that you drive to every jackpot implies that you feel the same way.

I want to experience a lot of snow , I have been lucky this year in hitting decent jacks . But I never anticipate it bc well they are so hard imo and when I go to hunter mountain and they get 24” and someone nw in a band gets 36” I am fine with it . It’s like I wish I was in the deform but it is more of a fleeting thought and I am feelin just lucky to have 2 feet while back home it’s raining . I just particularly hate winter rain . I will usually get the heck outta town if it’s a significant storm and I’m gonna rain , that’s really my biggest issue to chase . If Nashua was getting 6” and changing to ice and dentrite got 20” I would be content as long as I don’t flip to fukkin winter rain 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I want to experience a lot of snow , I have been lucky this year in hitting decent jacks . But I never anticipate it bc well they are so hard imo and when I go to hunter mountain and they get 24” and someone nw in a band gets 36” I am fine with it . It’s like I wish I was in the deform but it is more of a fleeting thought and I am feelin just lucky to have 2 feet while back home it’s raining . I just particularly hate winter rain . I will usually get the heck outta town if it’s a significant storm and I’m gonna rain , that’s really my biggest issue to chase . If Nashua was getting 6” and changing to ice and dentrite got 20” I would be content as long as I don’t flip to fukkin winter rain 

Well, to be fair....if I get 2', then I don't complaint about someone getting 3'. I was perfectly fine with Jan 2015 and the JP was just west of me. It's the ones that give me like 12-16" with widespread 2'+ around me that make me lose my shit.

• Haha 1