Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That's what we used to call a "Montreal Express"  ... it's a particularly nasty delivery because it's so direct.  There's a little down slope, but other than that - which is overwhelmed by that magnitude of cold anyway... - the delivery avoids the subtle modulation of the continent and/or Lakes from deliveries that arrive first west and then come east.   There's not a lot of time or means to moderate the cold plume - it's like hello 60 North!

00z ICONoclastic model had that at the end of its run, but backed off considerably on the 12z.   The 06z GFS had it but not as arresting as this 12z version. 

GGEM has the Feb first week storm ... and really just offers and entirely different landscape in that D8 -10 range.  

Yeah a large majority of our cold records are from this type of delivery....for the reasons you stated. Typically the mid-atlantic and places further west will get their best cold shots from down through the lakes (partly because they are too far southwest to get the more northerly delivery), but ours do much better when coming out of that Ottawa/Montreal corridor.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

That would be so fitting. Rains to maines all winter and then congrats myrtle beach 

Gfs blows the cold load all at once, like we did around Christmas. And here we are still waiting for the cold air to rebuild and move into our region a month later. 

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

If you are a snow lover in the mid Atlantic how do you even maintain a semblance of happiness , there should be some psychological studies that look at developing coping mechanisms and maybe society can benefit from the way these folks have adapted , assuming they aren’t miserable 

Butting in; we do not maintain a semblance of happiness and we are all depressed. Our forum has been mostly a complete disaster since the "epic pattern" and "brutal cold" before christmas produced light flurries and high temps in the high 20s.  But then we get a KU every 7 years and we're ok. 0.0" for the year

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Looks like that Valentines Day cold shot a few winters ago that got down to -15 or so. It was like a 36 hour in and out deal. At least for that we had snow OTG from a storm a few days prior. 

That was 2016…the super Nino. An island of record cold amidst an inferno for the most part.  Mid Atlantic did get the historic blizzard in January, abd I got about 10 inches from the northern fringe. I don’t remember snow on the ground though during that cold shot.  

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

That was 2016…the super Nino. An island of record cold amidst an inferno for the most part.  Mid Atlantic did get the historic blizzard in January, abd I got about 10 inches from the northern fringe. I don’t remember snow on the ground though during that cold shot.  

We had some snow showers and a few squalls prior. I had just under an inch of fluff that sublimated lol.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

We had some snow showers and a few squalls prior. I had just under an inch of fluff that sublimated lol.

There was more than that on the ground....we had a decent event on 2/8 and it stayed cold until the arctic shot on Vday. I actually still had a bunch OTG too from the 2/5 event as well.

We did get those squalls a couple days before too, but they were on top of existing snowpack IIRC.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Ya a few squall’s, but zero cover here that I remember. And it was still a brutal weekend that’s for sure. It was impressive. Had we had a good cover, it really would have been off the charts. 

6 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Ya a few squall’s, but zero cover here that I remember. And it was still a brutal weekend that’s for sure. It was impressive. Had we had a good cover, it really would have been off the charts. 

We had solid snow cover, here’s a pic from that morning.  We had 2 snow events of 3-6” that week. 

C441F86E-542F-4239-A7FA-3536D7FF43F6.jpeg

22A853CC-950C-4F43-981F-EF234FB1447D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There was more than that on the ground....we had a decent event on 2/8 and it stayed cold until the arctic shot on Vday. I actually still had a bunch OTG too from the 2/5 event as well.

We did get those squalls a couple days before too, but they were on top of existing snowpack IIRC.

I think there was around 8-10” Otg 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That was another pretty crappy winter. You simply can’t get any worse than this one we are living they.  . But that kind of cold did a lot of damage to the shrubs and flowering buds as I recall 

A bunch of orchards around here got bad damage from that cold shot. PArticularly the peach trees.