• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2023 Medium/Long Range Pattern Discussion Thread.....Torch or Tundra???

Carvers Gap

8 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

QPF is less on the Canadian so this isn’t a more rain less snow unless I’m looking at it wrong.

CMC looks a bit fouled in it's precip output. This thing should be juiced, imo . Strong Gulf RH injection, UL energy etc.. really can't see where it could be getting a decrease in Precip output.??.

• Like 1

CMC looks a bit fouled in it's precip output. This thing should be juiced, imo . Strong Gulf RH injection, UL energy etc.. really can't see where it could be getting a decrease in Precip output.??.

I went back and looked again. Yeah the moisture doesn’t reflect the simulation IMO. Definitely should be more

• Like 2

The question I have is, when is John leaving to watch the super bowl in Chatty?  I'm planning my snowman around that.
It seems John is a pretty good luck charm for our area. He seems to bring some cotton balls from the sky with him over the years. This kind of set-up has surprised Chattanooga a few times over the last 15 years. I would like another surprise for Super Bowl. Not expecting anything at all but these things can be sneaky.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

MRX probability chart is reasonable for an event 60 hours out with borderline temps. Keep in mind probability considers all parameters, climo and time to event. Probability 3 days out is usually bearish compared to deterministic numerical models.

MRX rightfully blanks Chattanooga, and does include the Cumberland Plateau. Maybe I'm biased in favor because it has things in common with my longer post bottom of page 20 this topic. 

PS. I'll post in the event topic on Friday. If I post too early, I'll surely jinx it.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

MRX probability chart is reasonable for an event 60 hours out with borderline temps. Keep in mind probability considers all parameters, climo and time to event. Probability 3 days out is usually bearish compared to deterministic numerical models.

MRX rightfully blanks Chattanooga, and does include the Cumberland Plateau. Maybe I'm biased in favor because it has things in common with my longer post bottom of page 20 this topic. 

PS. I'll post in the event topic on Friday. If I post too early, I'll surely jinx it.

Eh, it would be ok...........  Here in Tennessee if a donkey farts into the wind and it can throw things off when it comes to snow.   As always, appreciate your input.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Guess I should have added that MRX took any mention of snow out of my zip code and raised high temps to 45 on Sunday. Now I’m not at all arguing that it’s wrong but moving away from any winter weather is not the play I would have made.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Remind me why the inverted trough is good.  I know it helps, but I always forget about how that actually works.

Sorry for taking a million years in model watching time to get back to this. Was out quite a bit today. I think it provides an extra focus for lift and may have something to do the upper low lagging behind the surface reflection over the warm coastal waters. The flow is still S or SW at the mid levels so that as the developing cyclone throws moisture back the upper low can lift that moisture.

I could also be really wrong about that write up lol.

https://glossary.ametsoc.org/wiki/Inverted_trough#:~:text=An atmospheric trough with pressure,side of the subtropical high.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Sorry for taking a million years in model watching time to get back to this. Was out quite a bit today. I think it provides an extra focus for lift and may have something to do the upper low lagging behind the surface reflection over the warm coastal waters. The flow is still S or SW at the mid levels so that as the developing cyclone throws moisture back the upper low can lift that moisture.

I could also be really wrong about that write up lol.

https://glossary.ametsoc.org/wiki/Inverted_trough#:~:text=An atmospheric trough with pressure,side of the subtropical high.

Actually just read back and saw where Jeff answered this, sorry. 

2 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

March looks incredibly cold on the Euro Weeklies.

Yeah, good reason for that with the SSW effects coinciding with what looks to be other parameters lining up. Cross Polar Flow looks to be in the picture as well. So, providing something doesn't throw a monkey wrench late Feb/ to mid March may be our most wintry period of this lackluster Winter. 

The West has had a wall to wall, trifecta one. Been a long time since we've had that. Thinking 2009-10 or maybe 2010-11 was last one. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah @GaWx has been keeping us updated on this major SSW in swing currently or going to be in swing.  That combined with a favorable mjo it looks like the end of the month and March could be rocking. 

And throw in a switch to Nino....nice, nice LR look.  And good support for that across teleconnections, ENSO, etc.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blizzard22 said:

I don't care how cold it is in March, it is always difficult to get snow especially in the lower elevations. 

In NE TN, it can snow like crazy during March.  I don't think this will happen this year, but some great winters had a March component.  Just never know.  I have been through Jan-Feb nearly snowless winters and had my seasonal average by April 1.  March 2018 was snowy here.  

• Like 3

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic