• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2023 Medium/Long Range Pattern Discussion Thread.....Torch or Tundra???

Carvers Gap

These ULL systems are notorious for being a pain. Best to just sit back and see how this looks inside 48hrs. 

icon, cmc, euro at 6z are all lock step together with a East TN, App Spine hit. 

gfs and GEFS shifted east nearly 100miles at 06z to west NC. 

12z should be a good benchmark as we are fully sampled BUT I've seen these get more uncertain at this range instead of more concrete. 

Unfortunately cut even kuchera in atleast half due to wet ground, daytime timing, and temps above 32.  This is one of those "6" fell but only 2" stuck" type of deals.

• Like 3

The 6z Euro ensemble ups totals for E TN and the Plateau.  The control is big.  The GFS, if it is right, is a NC special.  The Euro is not there yet, but it had trouble w/ the last storm.  It was far, far too far to the northwest.  OTH, the GFS was to far to the SE and blew thermal profiles until the last minute.

2 hours ago, fountainguy97 said:

These ULL systems are notorious for being a pain. Best to just sit back and see how this looks inside 48hrs. 

icon, cmc, euro at 6z are all lock step together with a East TN, App Spine hit. 

gfs and GEFS shifted east nearly 100miles at 06z to west NC. 

12z should be a good benchmark as we are fully sampled BUT I've seen these get more uncertain at this range instead of more concrete. 

Unfortunately cut even kuchera in atleast half due to wet ground, daytime timing, and temps above 32.  This is one of those "6" fell but only 2" stuck" type of deals.

Yeah, if I get an inch I will be happy. Any more is gravy. It is also fun to watch as these systems can puke snow. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

The 6z Euro ensemble ups totals for E TN and the Plateau.  The control is big.  The GFS, if it is right, is a NC special.  The Euro is not there yet, but it had trouble w/ the last storm.  It was far, far too far to the northwest.  OTH, the GFS was to far to the SE and blew thermal profiles until the last minute.

Do we want the storm to become stronger to pull more west? What is the mechanism that keeps it towards TN and not too far east? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

Do we want the storm to become stronger to pull more west? What is the mechanism that keeps it towards TN and not too far east? 

the timing of it closing off is the main factor.  The faster it closes off (stronger quicker) = a further west track.  The 06z gfs was more pr0gressive and weaker with the ULL.  It closed off much later.  As a result, the surface low was further west.  ICON, CMC, EURO, and now the 12z NAM are all much stronger with a quicker close off which slows the storm down and allows it to pivot inland.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

Man, IDK.  Old model biases are out the window this winter.  I tend to think we want it just to our southwest given the trend all winter of storms coming back west(some bigly so).  That said, Fountain makes a great point about when it closes off being key.  By tomorrow at this time, we need to be right in the middle of that cone, and not the westward edge of guidance.  Two things have helped me this winter.  Don't trust the GFS d10+ w/ cold.  Trust it more than the Euro inside of d5.  If this event gets more extreme(higher totals), the GFS is probably more likely to get this right(John's rule).  The GFS actually caught the southeast trend first, and was an extreme outlier....until it was likely right.  So, I lean GFS right now...but I do take notice when the Euro backs west like it did at 6z.  It is often adjusts first to that westward trend.   Used to one could just say the GFS is too progressive, and it is coming northwest.  One could also say the Euro is wound up to much and will jog southeast....Those old rules don't apply as much.

For now, I would just blend the ensembles.  That gives us I-81/I-75 as the western edge of guidance....for now.  Downsloping would eat a bunch of that up on the western slopes of the Apps.  Western NC looks prime w/ E TN the big question mark.

4 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

6z RGEM digging it the cut off all the way to the Gulf coast and looks like it is about to spread precip back over all of east TN 

giphy.gif?cid=790b761118bf0874b2a70fb174

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611e2e52818dfb8532c43

There might be problems with cold air in this scenario below 3000'

That is an exceptionally great set-up if legit...at range gives me pause.  That is how you get a big winter storm.  The likelihood of somebody in the SE getting hammered is growing.

• Like 1

The NAM at range has a biased of being amped.  Word of caution there, and I know you all know that.  That is for new folks.  That could easily trend SE if it sobers up.  But again, this is more of closing off vs just synoptically riding an inbound front.  So, the NAM "could" be correct as the closing off point is not at 84, but earlier in the run.

• Like 1

Also, downsloping along the western foothills is definitely a concern if cold air is not in place and is being manufactured.  The 12z NAM shows that downsloping effect quite well.  W NC is cold and E TN is in the mid 40s.  Need this to hit at night.  What is the timing on this?  I haven't even looked.  

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic