• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Medium/Long Range Pattern Discussion Thread.....Torch or Tundra???

Carvers Gap

7 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Do these HPs usually press better than modeled, or is that just a weenie wish casting rule? 

First thought that went thru my head on that 18z run...Goofy just looks off more than usual. This whole setup is just screaming ice west of the plateau to me, across all 3 models.

• Like 1

I am not convinced that tonight's Euro Weeklies are correct....It looks to me like convection is about to fire around Indonesia if the CPC is correct.  That should lead to the MJO warm tour mid-month, but the Weeklies are having none of it.  They are basically BN for temps for the next 46 days.  I will hold with the idea that a warm-up is coming mid-month.  That seems about right, and fits with Indonesian convection.  That said, there are some rare examples where it stays cold despite the MJO.  I am thinking 94 or 96 (Jan-Feb) did that.  I can't remember.  If someone remembers, let me know.  JB had a great post about this tonight.....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

I am not convinced that tonight's Euro Weeklies are correct....It looks to me like convection is about to fire around Indonesia if the CPC is correct.  That should lead to the MJO warm tour mid-month, but the Weeklies are having none of it.  They are basically BN for temps for the next 46 days.  I will hold with the idea that a warm-up is coming mid-month.  That seems about right, and fits with Indonesian convection.  That said, there are some rare examples where it stays cold despite the MJO.  I am thinking 94 or 96 (Jan-Feb) did that.  I can't remember.  If someone remembers, let me know.

'96 I think. Although there were mild interludes, they were short lived 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Yeah. The main reason may of been strong blocking though. 

JB mentioned tonight(and I know he takes some heat at times), mentioned that the switch in ENSO is possibly causing contradictory signals in LR modeling.  MJO plots are stalling in 3 which is cold in Feb(warm in Jan).   Also, if I remember correctly, El Nino climatology favors a back loaded winter w/ a mean trough in the SE.  I was expecting an all out torch on the Weeklies.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

JB mentioned tonight(and I know he takes some heat at times), mentioned that the switch in ENSO is possibly causing contradictory signals in LR modeling.  MJO plots are stalling in 3 which is cold in Feb(warm in Jan).   Also, if I remember correctly, El Nino climatology favors a back loaded winter w/ a mean trough in the SE.  I was expecting an all out torch on the Weeklies.  

You know I've been thinking us pretty much switching the enso state is causing the models to really go crazy. The signal is complex and off because of that. I think we are going to have a damn cold spring because if it also. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

You know I've been thinking us pretty much switching the enso state is causing the models to really go crazy. The signal is complex and off because of that. I think we are going to have a damn cold spring because if it also. 

Yeah, Nino springs are often COLD!  I would think the mountains will see snow deep into spring if true.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Yeah, JB is actually very good with teleconnections and all facets of the field actually. He just, as we know, wears cold glasses and let's that sway him many times. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

The pattern on LR modeling is volatile w/ a lot of variability - nothing locks in.  Way more variable than what we have seen this winter due to shortening wavelengths.  Also, JB mentioned the MJO signal typically has less impact later in winter....I may have misheard or interpreted that.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The pattern on LR modeling is volatile w/ a lot of variability - nothing locks in.  Way more variable than what we have seen this winter due to shortening wavelengths.  Also, JB mentioned the MJO signal typically has less impact later in winter....I may have misheard or interpreted that.  

Yeah I think you are right. I think it is definitely contributing to the volatility of the models. I mean I can't remember when we had such swings on all the models from run to run.

• Like 4

I'm thinking the Strat delay effect may be what the Weeklies could be factoring in along with it's Model runs having the MJO in cold phase or COD.

I would think maybe it's keying on Blocking, particularly since it depicts coldest anomalies out west and they look to slide east. However, it doesn't look that way by the looks around Greenland. Still could possibly be during some of that timeframe. 

• Like 2

Just now, Daniel Boone said:

I'm thinking the Strat delay effect may be what the Weeklies could be factoring in along with it's Model runs having the MJO in cold phase or COD.

I would think maybe it's keying on Blocking, particularly since it depicts coldest anomalies out west and they look to slide east. However, it doesn't look that way by the looks around Greenland. Still could possibly be during some of that timeframe. 

Main thing I see is AN heights over Alaska and a very cold NA continent.  There are some AN heights over the pole.  

• Like 2

Using the totally valid metric of clown maps, it's pretty easy to see the potential for next week. Nothing crazy, but a statewide 1 to 3 inches doesn't sound unreasonable. I haven't dug in, so I don't how much of this is ice or sleet, but still a winter event regardless. Just need to get a little more southern jog to get the whole state.  The trend is good on the GFS! 

d9b5120b-77ca-4c85-94ed-cfda9f62595f.gif

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

Using the totally valid metric of clown maps, it's pretty easy to see the potential for next week. Nothing crazy, but a statewide 1 to 3 inches doesn't sound unreasonable. I haven't dug in, so I don't how much of this is ice or sleet, but still a winter event regardless. Just need to get a little more southern jog to get the whole state.  The trend is good on the GFS! 

d9b5120b-77ca-4c85-94ed-cfda9f62595f.gif

Yeah. Has Total of 4-8 the 2 waves combined for parts of area. So, hopefully it pans out and we'll be somewhat satisfied considering the terrible fate of this winter so far. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

Canadian is a massive ice storm for West and Central TN. Unfortunately not any snow. 

I will take a HARD PASS on any ice!  The extreme cold temps already damaged many of the evergreens & shrubs.  Sheesh last thing we all need is trees to be damaged also. 

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic