height rises locally. As an incoming trough moves through the Ohio
Valley, the interaction of the northern and southern stream energy
will be key to see if there is any precipitation/storm threat Sunday
into Monday. Have maintained low end chance POPs for most with some
wintry potential.

Most positive post so far today! 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yeah, no kidding!  Another perfect track rain storm!

Seems like the cold air coming in behind the front associated with the wave in Canada doesn't come in fast enough.  The storm of interest that rains on us is moving in sync with the one in Canada, and only after it's gone does the colder air come in as the high in the upper midwest pushes east.

yea but it's not even one sporadic fluke thing... and not ONLY when there is a GL low and not even just here......

Where is the snow here?

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_39.thumb.png.8791ebd0d380a1b29a9003deb5c90cb7.png

Where is the snow here?

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_50.thumb.png.0dca81dc1a64e485fd4d6e37eeef8b20.png

There have been a LOT of mid latitude waves recently where this is absolutely no, or VERY little, snow on the north side of the storm until it gets north of our latitude.  That leaves no hope for us.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

yea but it's not even one sporadic fluke thing... and not ONLY when there is a GL low and not even just here......

Where is the snow here?

Where is the snow here?

There have been a LOT of mid latitude waves recently where this is absolutely no, or VERY little, snow on the north side of the storm until it gets north of our latitude.  That leaves no hope for us.  

Right...very true.  I was only commenting on what stood out to me for that one event.  And in that case there's a clear Arctic high pushing in with some legit cold air.  But what you say is frustrating (concerning, even?).  There doesn't even seem to be any real cold air with those two events you show, even in the midwest.

Just now, Always in Zugzwang said:

Right...very true.  I was only commenting on what stood out to me for that one event.  And in that case there's a clear Arctic high pushing in with some legit cold air.  But what you say is frustrating (concerning, even?).  There doesn't even seem to be any real cold air with those two events you show, even in the midwest.

I am concerned.  It's not EVERY storm.  But getting a mid latitude storm in January and February with no snowfall associated with it even to the NW of the track south of 40 degrees used to be a fairly rare thing.   On average you would start to see snow show up to the NW of the track once north of about 36 degrees.  But lately I have noticed a lot of storms in the last 5 years or so where they have absolutely no snow until you get north of like 40 or even 41 degrees.  Again, that always happened sometimes...but it seems to be becoming a lot more common lately.  That's a big problem for us obviously!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

If we're lucky maybe we will get a perfect track and....

6516d48a-fe74-4576-bb3c-1ba6e689340f.thumb.gif.c3b8f20827c0bbcdb57998d8693b9852.gif

FUCK 

Most of these systems have even brought rain into SNE. CT has something like 0-4 inches on the season south to north. This is awful for everyone not in interior / NNE, and even most of them are well below averages. 

16 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I am concerned.  It's not EVERY storm.  But getting a mid latitude storm in January and February with no snowfall associated with it even to the NW of the track south of 40 degrees used to be a fairly rare thing.   On average you would start to see snow show up to the NW of the track once north of about 36 degrees.  But lately I have noticed a lot of storms in the last 5 years or so where they have absolutely no snow until you get north of like 40 or even 41 degrees.  Again, that always happened sometimes...but it seems to be becoming a lot more common lately.  That's a big problem for us obviously!  

BDA81E18-6BC4-4097-97D7-60213E799C35.jpeg.749196494ca6b643dcdc35c8dd2cd260.jpeg

• Haha 18
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Where is the snow here?

Where is the snow here?

It's bizarre. This isn't even a "this winter sucks in Maryland." This is a "this winter has been a disaster for basically the entire east coast, and maybe even eastern 1/3 of the country, outside of lake effect." Like how is it possible there is literally no snow on the backside of those low pressures?

35 minutes ago, Ji said:

the euro gives  us one good run every 10 days and then then takes it away 12 hours later never to be seen again.

This winter is disgusting. Worse than 01-02 by a long shot

We need a thread to quantify how bad this winter is.  Sure we've relegated ourselves to getting zero snow, but what makes it the worst beyond that?  A warm spring like 2012 might be seen as a good thing once weve given up the chances of snow.  So is it 40deg and clouds/rain that makes it the worst ever?   No snow and 70deg days aren't so bad.  But no snow and 50deg cloudy days make me want to jump off the Annapolis bridge.  

5 minutes ago, IronTy said:

We need a thread to quantify how bad this winter is.  Sure we've relegated ourselves to getting zero snow, but what makes it the worst beyond that?  A warm spring like 2012 might be seen as a good thing once weve given up the chances of snow.  So is it 40deg and clouds/rain that makes it the worst ever?   No snow and 70deg days aren't so bad.  But no snow and 50deg cloudy days make me want to jump off the Annapolis bridge.  

Don't do that...take a trip to Jackson Hole, Tahoe or Salt Lake....that will cure it.

I think the creation of the “will it ever snow again” thread as a result of this epically shitty winter qualifies

38 minutes ago, Solution Man said:

Don't do that...take a trip to Jackson Hole, Tahoe or Salt Lake....that will cure it.

Nah we're going camping on meadow mountain this weekend so I should get my snow hit.  I told my wife this weekend that if she decides to divorce me at some point I'm going to move to Alta, Utah and that she better plan on paying me alimony for that.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic