Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January/February Mid/Long Range Disco IV: A New Hope

stormtracker

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

There have only been 2 warm neutral winters since 2000 and 4 since 1950.  Way too small a sample to draw conclusions. But neutral is only within .5 of 0. Even a weak Nino often has muted impacts so I think it’s fair to lump all neutrals together. This is the composite for all neutral winters since 2000

10F2FC59-67A2-4C02-9ECD-C914F2A241AF.png.400c0ff2a9d16f5293a942be09240b87.png
We were discussing this the other day. Actually the flip in enso neutral winters accounts for a large portion of our degraded snow climo. 

From 1950 to 1993 neutral winters averaged 24” at BWI with 52% above avg. 

The last 30 years they avg 12” with 17% above avg.   Enso neutral used to be almost as good as Nino and now it’s been the worst enso state the past 30 years by avg, median, and % above normal. 

The main cause us a persistent SER.  @Terpeast speculated this winter is actually behaving more like a neutral than a Nina.  I’ve also tried to point this out when people root for a Nina to fade but it’s too late. Once you enter winter it’s better if the Nina persists. Neutral is even worse!  We actually have a better chance at a snowy Feb/Mar in a Nina that doesn’t fade  

lol you would think a neutral is a 50/50 type thing. like you ENSO shouldnt be driving the pattern as much as say your NAO/AO and PNA. The SER shouldnt be a dominant feature on paper. You would think you have bouts of wintry weather combined with bouts of warmth and you should be getting average snow lol. Thats how i would see it on paper. But if we get SE ridge in NINA and Neutral as the most dominant feature....were fooking done

Just now, Solution Man said:

It’s always been a shutout, but maybe we can luck into something…torch is coming fast

Definitely gonna take something a bit flukey--Aside from an almost extinct clipper, I don't know what could even get us on the board. A front end thump deal maybe...Record for latest snowfall is Feb 21st. I don't know what happened in 1973, but it feels like we'd be hard pressed to get it, lol

5 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Definitely gonna take something a bit flukey--Aside from an almost extinct clipper, I don't know what could even get us on the board. A front end thump deal maybe...Record for latest snowfall is Feb 21st. I don't know what happened in 1973, but it feels like we'd be hard pressed to get it, lol

It wont be a clipper in this pattern. Our best chances before the pattern probably goes to crap for mid month are with these 2 periods, where there is the possibility of deep enough cold meeting up with some semblance of a shortwave that can actually toss some moisture northward enough. Maybe another shot around the 7th-8th. In each case there are issues and at best we are looking at a modest or mixed event.

1675198800-LG1D0tbvxBs.png

1675425600-EU629W3noPg.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The cliffs notes version 

the easiest way to get snow is to have the mean trough in the east lol. The easiest way to have that is a having a ridge in the west. How do we keep a ridge in the west? Seems like we need to start having PDO winters that are positive. https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/pub/data/cmb/ersst/v5/index/ersst.v5.pdo.dat

the PDO has been very negative for a long time. We need to shift our SSTs out west --not sure how that happens? Nino?

9 minutes ago, CAPE said:

TT graphics suck. That isn't awful. Better off looking at the weeklies though.

GEFSx isn't a bad look for the end of Feb into March. Canadian extended looks the same.

1677715200-tYnXfHzrHdk.png

TT Graphics are definitely biased towards red or warmer colors. I need a weather website designed by a republican :)gfs_T2ma_namer_1.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Ji said:

No Morch this year

cfs-mon_01_z500a_namer_2.png

Well who knows...maybe we'll back our way into some decent March event!  I know several here don't care for March snows, but I don't mind them!  We've had some good ones over the years.  And at this point with January gone, and February going...going...(gone?), I'd take a solid event in March (or later February) if we happened to get one.

(Speaking of "Morch"...I remember the absolute real March torch we got in 2012!!  80 degree days, and the cherry blossoms were in full bloom by St. Paddy's Day!  It was ridiculous.  I think that also led into a hot summer, when we had back-to-back Julys with 100+ temps...ugh!  I remember that because I was playing softball at the time and it was awful! :lol:)

• Like 1

Snow chances sports analogies Mid-Atlantic 

-(football)4th and goal from the 10 down by 8 2 mins left in game

-(basketball) 69-61 down 8 with 3 mins left point guard fouled out

-(golf) our player is down 2 holes with 3 holes to play in match play, our drive is in the tree line other guy in fairway 130 in

-(hockey) We lead the next team by 2 points but they have 3 games in hand for final playoff spot

-(baseball) We’re down 2-0 top of the 9th no outs bottom of the order up

-(tennis) We’re down 30 Love 1st game 3rd set down 2 sets to none

-(boxing) Our trainer has his hand on the towel

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Solution Man said:

Snow chances sports analogies Mid-Atlantic 

-(football)4th and goal from the 10 down by 8 2 mins left in game

-(basketball) 69-61 down 8 with 3 mins left point guard fouled out

-(golf) our player is down 2 holes with 3 holes to play in match play, our drive is in the tree line other guy in fairway 130 in

-(hockey) We lead the next team by 2 points but they have 3 games in hand for final playoff spot

-(baseball) We’re down 2-0 top of the 9th no outs bottom of the order up

-(tennis) We’re down 30 Love 1st game 3rd set down 2 sets to none

-(boxing) Our trainer has his hand on the towel

Eagles covering -2.5 

• Haha 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic