Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January/February Mid/Long Range Disco IV: A New Hope

stormtracker

15 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

CMC is out to sea so yeah. Oh but prior it is all rain, zero snow even with a massive polar fresh hp to the N.gem_mslpa_us_39.thumb.png.57121b1554d10895769630bcfab08d2b.png

image000000.gif.1801b6aa0eba8ae0076020b4da01f2e9.gif

On the above gif, It appears that the High comes in to late with a low pushing through the north of New England. Wouldn't the Low be problematic?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

We are the new Georgia coast clime.

Our mid winter climo is acting like November. Yea it’s possible to snow but in November we knew even if everything went 95% right it would still fail most of the time because it was just too warm and takes an extremely anomalous event and rare confluence of every factor going perfectly to overcome that.

Well welcome to mid winter and… 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, IronTy said:

I think it's fucking hilarious.  Like me trying to post on an engineering forum without being able to mention math.  

Agreed.  Why are some people so scared to even mention "CC" on an atmospheric science forum.  It's so sensitive that we can't even spell it out; we have to acronymize it.  Politics truly has become the new opiate of the masses.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

If that high hung back, we would have been destroyed.  As is, there is some front end

26 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Oh for just a little bit of blocking to keep the high there!!

Look at the CMC. The high is perfect and it’s still all rain. It wouldn’t matter. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

Agreed.  Why are some people so scared to even mention "CC" on an atmospheric science forum.  It's so sensitive that we can't even spell it out; we have to acronymize it.  Politics truly has become the new opiate of the masses.

It seems a possible good compromise is being able to discuss a warming world (the fact that it's warming really isn't in question and there's empirical date that shows it) and what it's impacts are on our weather.  What could be banned would be the whole "humans are causing it" debate which seems to be where politics comes in and things go off the rails.  But I'm not a mod so it's easy for me to say since I don't do any administrative work on the forum.  Maybe it would end up a disaster.  

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

If you mean the north Atlantic then sure. If you are saying it's not debatable on a global scale you would be wrong:

ssta.daily.current.png

https://www.noaa.gov/news/2022-was-worlds-6th-warmest-year-on-record#:~:text=Below are highlights from NOAA's 2022 annual global climate report%3A&text=Earth's average land and ocean,in the 1880-2022 record.

• Global ocean heat content (OHC) hit a record high: The upper ocean heat content, which addresses the amount of heat stored in the upper 2,000 meters of the ocean, was record high in 2022, surpassing the previous record set in 2021. The four highest OHCs have all occurred in the last four years (2019-2022).
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, anotherman said:

https://www.noaa.gov/news/2022-was-worlds-6th-warmest-year-on-record#:~:text=Below are highlights from NOAA's 2022 annual global climate report%3A&text=Earth's average land and ocean,in the 1880-2022 record.

• Global ocean heat content (OHC) hit a record high: The upper ocean heat content, which addresses the amount of heat stored in the upper 2,000 meters of the ocean, was record high in 2022, surpassing the previous record set in 2021. The four highest OHCs have all occurred in the last four years (2019-2022).

And the same February pattern is repeating as the last 4 years (as per current models). Mathematical odds of 5 strong -PNA's is actually pretty low. 

• Like 2

It seems a possible good compromise is being able to discuss a warming world (the fact that it's warming really isn't in question and there's empirical date that shows it) and what it's impacts are on our weather.  What could be banned would be the whole "humans are causing it" debate which seems to be where politics comes in and things go off the rails.  But I'm not a mod so it's easy for me to say since I don't do any administrative work on the forum.  Maybe it would end up a disaster.  

I am sorry… but what does cc stand for?

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Look at the CMC. The high is perfect and it’s still all rain. It wouldn’t matter. 

Visiting this site I've learned a good bit about teleconnections but I have almost no knowledge of storm dynamics. I gather from your posts that with the track depicted, with the high position/strength as depicted it "should" snow.  It is also my understanding that the precipitation starts as snow but melts on the way down.

So putting those together I conclude that somewhere in the column the snow is encountering layers where the air is warmer than it "should" be given the track and high location/strength.  Where does that anomalous layer start and what is the source of the anomaly?  And yeah I know what the ultimate source of the anomaly is.  I'm just talking the proximate cause.  

An example would be something like (I'm just making this up as an example)

1. "The air at 700 mb and below is being sourced from the NNE and the water there is +2 C warmer than the mean."

Just got back home and checked the model suite… looks to me that they’re becoming masters at pulling houdini acts from incoming snowstorms in the east coast.

When they’re doing their best not to snow inside 5 days, maybe it’s time to hang it up this winter. The december cutter set the tone from the beginning. 

Luckily, we have the mountains within a 2-3 hour drive that get some upslope even in the worst pattern. Got my fix there, and I’m good until next year.

If you need yours, it’s only a few hours away. Not that complicated. Next time I go, I want to stay a week and airbnb it. Or vbro. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Do you all really need twice daily reminders not to talk climate change in this thread?

but what about talking about talking about climate change?  I do think the compromise that its ok to talk about the affects of the fact it is getting warmer so long as we don't debate the cause or human involvement should avoid the politics side.  I mean the fact it is warmer now than in recent recorded history isn't controversial or political.  Its simply the debate over the cause that gets messy.  But I defer to the bosses.  

1 hour ago, Interstate said:

I hate to say this... but it is not just us... it is the whole East Coast.  This is not a Mid Atlantic Thing.  It is just one of those years.  I know someone up in Rochester NY... They have had one storm that has produced a 6 inches.

yeah only your typical lake effect bullseye areas have seen anything noteworthy.  And of course THAT is being driven by anomalously warm lake water temps.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic