• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January/February Mid/Long Range Disco IV: A New Hope

stormtracker

Just a beautiful setup on the 00z Euro with a slow moving juicy low running into a stout 1040mb+ high up top and then redeveloping off the coast. Surely shows the potential of the pattern coming up. Can the Euro finally be picking up on the start of something here or is it another mirage? 

52 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Hey look! A positive tick inside 200 hrs :lol: (and not on an off-hour run either) Not yet a trend, but...we ain't had even this much at this range yet, lol Let's see if it carries over the next couple Zs...

1343497567_gfs-ens_z500a_namer_fh174_trend(2).thumb.gif.be3b378a10a03a3efb93ae939b64ca7d.gif

@Ralph Wiggum Why sad emoji? SER looks a bit better here, no?

Atl looks slightly improved, pac looks slightly stepped back. They cancel each other out imo. Was supposed to be the confused emoji. Seems when one side trends good the other trends opposite. Couldn't tell you last time we had both side work in harmony. Tho with the early Feb thing the Atl side is probably.more important. If we can score then I don't care if the pac fails and we move into a spring break pattern.

15 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Atl looks slightly improved, pac looks slightly stepped back. They cancel each other out imo. Was supposed to be the confused emoji. Seems when one side trends good the other trends opposite. Couldn't tell you last time we had both side work in harmony. Tho with the early Feb thing the Atl side is probably.more important. If we can score then I don't care if the pac fails and we move into a spring break pattern.

Yeah I get ya. But yeah the pac doesn't appear that it wants to go hostile either as of now. But, still a way to go, and yes--I think at this juncture the Atl probably is more important since it's only been our biggest snow nemesis, lol

6 minutes ago, CAPE said:

We are in the range now where the operational models are beginning to flash the potential for the period beginning early February that has been depicted on the ensembles for several days. Currently the means suggest the chances for frozen increase around Feb 2nd.

GFS improved pretty dramatically at 06z, especially out west. a bit far too far S, but this is a major overrunning event for the MA verbatim

hopefully it's not a blip. seems to be more in line with other guidance. this is our first legit shot IMO

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh180_trend.thumb.gif.c0d4ed1a2660f283c0d384fc60edfaf1.gif

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

It then has a follow up wave within the next couple days. Both within 200 hours.

image.thumb.png.cdf65018373722cbeb7f303aaccf92d8.png

The second wave is in alignment with what the ens means have been advertising as the initial chance for something other than rain for days now. This place would be a lot less bipolar if folks paid less attention/didn't react to every model cycle of the operational runs at long leads.

eta- the ensembles will have some run-to- run variability, but it won't be the wild swings that we see with the higher res operational models. The basic idea is to use them as a tool to reduce the uncertainty in the long range for a given outcome at a specific time.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

We are in the range now where the operational models are beginning to flash the potential for the period beginning early February that has been depicted on the ensembles for several days. Currently the means suggest the chances for frozen increase around Feb 2nd.

I know that @das will eye roll, grind his teeth, and punch a wall when he sees my post, but I’m going to wait until a 12z or 0z model affirms any of this before I get my heart broken again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic