• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 23rd Storm Threat: keeping positive vibes, ending chances of futility

TalcottWx

Absolutely love all the photos.  An image is worth a thousand words seems to sum up weather observations.

Should see an uptick in North Country business going forward.  People see some snow in SNE, and also know NNE has seen snow over the past week... the economics of the north could use an influx while building some momentum.  Service industry wages are through the roof after the past two seasons of high visitation.  Now the staff is in place, and the winter has been on the slower side.

Anyway, the Mount Mansfield Ski Patrol keeps opening terrain with the good SWE gain this week.  Snowpack depth is near 30" on the upper mountain, which is low, but it has a very firm/frozen base and then a foot and a half on top of that.  Like I said, hopefully we are building some momentum across the region.

326943753_3345255069072267_1949760961855

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

The sleet line parked over PWM area, WSW to ENE from midnight to 10AM.  Moved as far north as Gorham at one point.  South of that I think was raining that whole time.  That was the difference from York to PWM to Lava/dryslot/PowderBeard land

I never really hear many  reports from the Maine coast , but it does seem to have quite the microclimate and often be a snowhole due to BL issues as well as prone to some significant Coastal fronts  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I never really hear many  reports from the Maine coast , but it does seem to have quite the microclimate and often be a snowhole due to BL issues as well as prone to some significant Coastal fronts  

You nailed it.  I had 9.1" on 1.24" liquid for a 7:1 ratio.  I haven't done the calculating but that feels like my average here for the past 5 years of records.  

The trip back to Lowell yesterday afternoon was harrowing. What normally takes 90 minutes took nearly 3 hours. At least a 1/2 dozen cars off the road. Webcam shows it was a little windy towards the end of the storm, but looks like I got that final 1/2" to bring my total to 10". Hopefully we don't end with too much rain Thursday. 

34 minutes ago, MarkO said:

The trip back to Lowell yesterday afternoon was harrowing. What normally takes 90 minutes took nearly 3 hours. At least a 1/2 dozen cars off the road. Webcam shows it was a little windy towards the end of the storm, but looks like I got that final 1/2" to bring my total to 10". Hopefully we don't end with too much rain Thursday. 

I was on 395 when the heavy snow hit, lucky it was at a time when there wasn't much traffic, but it was greasy.