Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Appetizer: Light Snow general 1-2 " event 1/22-1/23

Baum

23 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Very pleasantly surprised today. I honestly was expecting about 1" of slop instead got an absolutely postcard worthy 3.3" of snow. Sounds like around 2" fell to the North of Detroit but the East and South side had the most due to early banding.

FB_IMG_1674421487169.jpg

FB_IMG_1674421483901.jpg

FB_IMG_1674421491267.jpg

Thinking around 2" here. It "just" covered grass blades as the heavier stuff was ending, and it's been a melt-fest from the ground warmth since. Still a very picturesque and beautiful day with the trees covered. Like an early December system, but 6 wks tardy. 

2 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Thinking around 2" here. It "just" covered grass blades as the heavier stuff was ending, and it's been a melt-fest from the ground warmth since. Still a very picturesque and beautiful day with the trees covered. Like an early December system, but 6 wks tardy. 

It is pretty wild to hear about it melting on contact due to the warm ground in the middle of the winter. Warm muggy and 85 down here in naples today.

4 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

A little bit of melting here now but the grass tips are still fully covered.  We did get the most as expected but it seems like the whole area did better than expected.

1 minute ago, Stevo6899 said:

It is pretty wild to hear about it melting on contact due to the warm ground in the middle of the winter. Warm muggy and 85 down here in naples today.

It didn't melt on contact, it melted a bit as temperatures climbed to 33 and the rates slowed down.  What was interesting was that grassy areas the snow really collected well, but on the cement it was much wetter and the shovel and plowpiles look like a super wet snow. Wonderful appetizer, now bring on the main course. Oh and 85 and muggy sounds gross lol.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Your house looks cozy.  I love the bushes. They're huge.

Yes, they are a bit larger than I would like but the previous occupants let them get this size. I keep them trimmed back every year but am afraid if I get much more brutal with the trimming it might kill them.

33 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'm not sure it's warm ground per se.  As mild as it's been, there's been hours/days with temps below freezing.  I think the more likely culprit for the melting is the marginal temps along with just enough solar energy getting through.

Through to what, white covered ground that should be reflecting it's effects. Most certainly my melting from underneath is due to zero frozen turf leading into this. A couple days sprinkled amongst weeks of mostly >32F temps makes for a November style snow today. 

38 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'm not sure it's warm ground per se.  As mild as it's been, there's been hours/days with temps below freezing.  I think the more likely culprit for the melting is the marginal temps along with just enough solar energy getting through.

This would’ve stuck to a frozen ground. Temps held below freezing up here today which is why it never melted from the trees. I can dig a hole no problem anywhere in my yard. It’s late January. That ain’t right. 

Solar energy did play a role, obviously. Some sheltered spots still have a bit of cover. But again, it’s late January, not April.

• Like 1

The snow kept falling and as night approached it started to stick some more so actually ended up with a total fall of 3.6" here bringing season total to 11.7". DTW had 3.3" bringing season total to 11.0". The flurries tonight are adding a sparkle to the dense snow blanket. The scenery was top notch everywhere you looked today. 

FB_IMG_1674441323052.jpg

FB_IMG_1674441331344.jpg

FB_IMG_1674441340536.jpg

FB_IMG_1674441545714.jpg

• Like 3

Patchy FZDZ developed as the system pulled out overnight near Chi metro, created some slick spots. ORD had -FZDZSNGS at one point. After that, several hours of aircraft-induced snow showers that can still be seen on TORD, although fading. Bet some localized spot in NE Dupage saw something measurable out of it, as it actually came down at a good clip for a minute or two directly underneath any of the showers. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

To be fair even the models had the heaviest snow in the South burbs. But I think we all exceeded expectations with this one.

They did. Just meant that systems have favored your region with higher totals on any given event. Can't imagine it was/will always be that way throughout time, lol