• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Appetizer: Light Snow general 1-2 " event 1/22-1/23

Baum

What should be non thread worthy by mid January will be a  the most widespread general snowfall for some in our winter of discontent. Here's a taste of some local weather offices takes:

LOT:

BUT THE MESSAGE REMAINS   
PRETTY MUCH UNCHANGED FROM THE PREVIOUS FORECAST FOR A GENERAL 1   
TO MAYBE 3 INCH TYPE EVENT FOCUSING ACROSS OUR FORECAST AREA.

Quad Cities:

SOME LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS UP TO 3 INCHES WILL BE   
POSSIBLE NE OF THE QCA TOWARDS ROCKFORD. BUMPED POPS UP, WITH LIKELY   
POPS ACROSS THE SE HALF OR SO FOR SATURDAY NIGHT.

Peoria,IL:

ACCUMULATING SNOW POSSIBLE SATURDAY NIGHT. AMOUNTS REMAIN UNCERTAIN. 

Fort Wayne, IN:

THE NEXT SYSTEM IS EXPECTED  
TO BRING LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY.  
SNOWFALL AMOUNTS COULD EXCEED 1 INCH FOR THIS EVENT, BUT TRAVEL  
IMPACTS ARE NOT EXPECTED TO BE WIDESPREAD.

Toledo, OH:

THIS WOULD AMOUNT TO APPROXIMATELY 1-2"   
OF SNOW AREAWIDE WITH UP TO 3" LOCALLY, 

Milwaukee, WI

KEPT PRECIP CHANCES LARGELY 50 PERCENT OR LESS GIVEN LOWER   
CONFIDENCE AT THIS POINT. THE WETTER MODEL SOLUTIONS ARE ONLY 1-3   
INCHES OF SNOW ACCUM, WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS IN THE SOUTHEAST   
AND LESS TO THE NORTHWEST.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Baum said:

What should be non thread worthy by mid January will be a  the most widespread general snowfall for some in our winter of discontent. Here's a taste of some local weather offices takes:

LOT:

BUT THE MESSAGE REMAINS   

Quad Cities:

Peoria,IL:

Fort Wayne, IN:

Toledo, OH:

Milwaukee, WI

Nice summation!  TY

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Baum said:

LOT:

BUT THE MESSAGE REMAINS   

Quad Cities:

Peoria,IL:

Fort Wayne, IN:

Toledo, OH:

Milwaukee, WI

Kind of tricky to pin down where highest amounts will be in LOT cwa.  Guidance is all over the place.  Some stuff pointing south, other stuff farther north.

The 18z Euro suddenly greatly increased the band of snow up through Cedar Rapids.  We went from 1" on the 12z to 3+" on the 18z.  The 18z H5 maps show a sharper wave over my area, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's just a one-run blip.  Other models are much drier.
Not to suggest that this event is going to be anything more than a DAB+ sort of deal, but think that the relative "dryness" of model runs and tick back up from 18z Euro is mostly related to guidance struggling with the rather nebulous forcing in this setup. Good proxy is 850 mb and 700 mb RH, which haven't changed much on the Euro and the global models in general. If you have saturation down to 850 mb and 700 mb is saturated with enough lift, it's usually gonna snow, putting amounts aside.

I think the wonkiness of the NAM is two-fold: struggling like the other guidance with the forcing mechanisms and also having an issue related to its convective scheme parameterization that I think causes it to hold onto insignificant dry layers for too long. This will be the case more often in modest vs. strong forcing. And since the 3km NAMnest is run from NAM initialization, the dry air issue will carry over. This is probably the case too for the other CAMs running off the WRF core. Also, the RAP and CAMs are inherently less reliable farther out in their ranges.

While it's quite possible/probable some areas only get a light dusting, I'd be surprised if there's areas that literally don't snow as implied by runs with 0 QPF response. Otherwise, for eastern IA and Northern IL, thinking 1-2" amounts still attainable, probably not localized up to 3" anymore though.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Not to suggest that this event is going to be anything more than a DAB+ sort of deal, but think that the relative "dryness" of model runs and tick back up from 18z Euro is mostly related to guidance struggling with the rather nebulous forcing in this setup. Good proxy is 850 mb and 700 mb RH, which haven't changed much on the Euro and the global models in general. If you have saturation down to 850 mb and 700 mb is saturated with enough lift, it's usually gonna snow, putting amounts aside.

I think the wonkiness of the NAM is two-fold: struggling like the other guidance with the forcing mechanisms and also having an issue related to its convective scheme parameterization that I think causes it to hold onto insignificant dry layers for too long. This will be the case more often in modest vs. strong forcing. And since the 3km NAMnest is run from NAM initialization, the dry air issue will carry over. This is probably the case too for the other CAMs running off the WRF core. Also, the RAP and CAMs are inherently less reliable farther out in their ranges.

While it's quite possible/probable some areas only get a light dusting, I'd be surprised if there's areas that literally don't snow as implied by runs with 0 QPF response. Otherwise, for eastern IA and Northern IL, thinking 1-2" amounts still attainable, probably not localized up to 3" anymore though.

my thread just got street cred. Thank you.

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

Do you think a blanket 1-2", or would you favor the s/se LOT cwa for those amounts?