Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Midwest/Ohio Valley/Great Lakes Snow January 24-26

Baum

20 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Because the GFS is more of an outlier now, I'm currently leaning toward the foreign guidance to be more likely on the right track. The warning type event is less likely, but that may not mean a whiff (maybe ALEK was onto something haha).

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Something I noticed on the GFS... look how it's handling the wave coming into the northern Plains around the time that our southern stream system approaches.  The other models are more amplified with that, which may help explain the more generous precip distribution farther n/w.

Seasonal futility is probably off the table since we'll probably nickel and dime our way up into the teens eventually.  Long ways off but this looks like a typical wussy 1-2 or 1-3" type event for the majority of the DVN cwa.  At least it will look more wintry which is a big change from the unrelenting brown seen 95% of this met winter up to this point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baum said:

At some point, we need to reverse the SE progressive slider curse.

12 minutes ago, ILSNOW said:

I remember a time when we would get that last second NW move or a storm over performing where have those days gone. 

Maybe next year when we get rid of the Niña. The last couple years have been rough. Late Jan-mid Feb 2021 was the last solid wintry period we had in the north/northwest burbs. Things got deep.

6 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Some of you give up too easy. :P

Caveats aside, 18z NAM looks like it would go somewhat nuke at 84 and beyond. 
Regardless, think a decent event is still on the table for many. It’s still only Saturday…

Wait, you are optimistic?  :o;)

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

18z nam is looking decent. Taking on a nice neg tilt at h5. But it's also nam and its long range.

don't forget it was the first run of the NAM in range that showed the 12/22-23 event was going to fail. And yes, can be chalked up to the blind squirrell theory but it did happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Wait, you are optimistic?  :o;)

Sure. I'm not calling for feet of snow obviously, but a decent event looks probable to me. The higher upside possibility is probably a longer shot...but again, it's Saturday. We've got plenty of time for this get better, or worse.

I get it that some people are big dog hunters, but man I'd take any amount of snow at this point. :D

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, tuanis said:

Ride the seasonal trend. Ready to call it up here… the “double duster”. A dusting tonight that melts tomorrow, and fringe flurry fest for the mid-week system. Can’t wait <_<

The positive thing is that the GFS is pretty much by itself with its handling of the northern end of the precip shield.  Hopefully you can at least pull an inch or two there.

14 minutes ago, Baum said:

yep. certainly much more backside snowfall over a good sized area.

The GFS is pretty much on its own with the suppressed precip shield.  Like I said earlier, I think it could be in the way it handles the wave coming into the northern US vs the other models.  I'n not sure what else it could be.