Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2023 Mid-Atlantic Garden, Lawn, and Other Green Stuff Thread

mattie g

17 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Dude, PREACH. I despise this stuff....my front yard is covered in this damn weed already, but somehow, it never appears in my BACK yard. So bizarre. I think I'm just gonna break down and call TruGreen this season...there's too many challenges going on in both the front/back yards that I can't seem to handle this year.

We get it on front and back lawns, but especially out back.

• Like 1

Seedlings are really coming along nicely. I up-potted the tomatoes, lettuce, and broccoli, but I had to replant mache and lettuce seeds because they really didn't take well on first planting (planted too deep?). Good thing is that they're doing much better this time around.

My 5-year-old is all about the garden this year. Every day, she says that we have to go check on the plants, and is always making sure to point out the cells/plants that need a little watering. She loves saying "I have a REALLY green thumb," which is just so freaking awesome! :lol:

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's supposed to be an early spring, but the street cherry trees in my end of the neighborhood are finally thinking about budding. Over the hill, there's a different hybrid used and those trees are now in full blossom. The ones on our end still seemed to think it was January until Sunday (3/27). I'm sorry I don't know the name of the hybrid for either tree. Photo is one in my front yard.

cherry buds reduced.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 11:45 AM, mattie g said:

Seedlings are really coming along nicely. I up-potted the tomatoes, lettuce, and broccoli, but I had to replant mache and lettuce seeds because they really didn't take well on first planting (planted too deep?). Good thing is that they're doing much better this time around.

My 5-year-old is all about the garden this year. Every day, she says that we have to go check on the plants, and is always making sure to point out the cells/plants that need a little watering. She loves saying "I have a REALLY green thumb," which is just so freaking awesome! :lol:

Up-potted tomatoes and peppers and planted the broccoli, lettuce, and mache seedlings in the garden. It's getting real now!

Assuming the mid-April long-range looks not too chilly, I'll shoot for getting tomatoes and peppers into the ground around the last week of the month.

Need to start on cantaloupe seedlings now!

Cut my grass for the first time yesterday...mostly crabgrass and weeds that were overgrown. Always used a gas mower in the past but caved and got a battery powered one as I have a relatively small yard, was a great afternoon to cut it yesterday but not looking forward to those hot humid cutting days!

On 3/27/2023 at 1:07 PM, Baltimorewx said:

Cut my grass for the first time yesterday...mostly crabgrass and weeds that were overgrown. Always used a gas mower in the past but caved and got a battery powered one as I have a relatively small yard, was a great afternoon to cut it yesterday but not looking forward to those hot humid cutting days!

I installed a robot mower last year, and it was great! Still had to touch up the edging every so often. Sure didn't miss the sweaty summer mows! I just took it out of storage, grass is starting to show signs of life.

Husqvarna Automower 430XH 18-Volt 9.45-in Robotic Lawn Mower with GPS  Assisted Navigation (1/2 Acre to 1 Acre) at Lowes.com

Unrelated: Has anyone else seen an uptick in the weeds this year? I don't put much stuff down but do spot spray. The chickweed is going crazy!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mdhokie said:

I installed a robot mower last year, and it was great! Still had to touch up the edging every so often. Sure didn't miss the sweaty summer mows! I just took it out of storage, grass is starting to show signs of life.

Husqvarna Automower 430XH 18-Volt 9.45-in Robotic Lawn Mower with GPS  Assisted Navigation (1/2 Acre to 1 Acre) at Lowes.com

Unrelated: Has anyone else seen an uptick in the weeds this year? I don't put much stuff down but do spot spray. The chickweed is going crazy!

Nice-The battery powered mower I got is much lighter than the gas one I had so should make cutting a little easier but i may eventually have to get a robot thingy lol

I grow a bunch of different Alocasia species. I think I’m going to take my big boys out Monday. Looks like it won’t get below 40. Might actually put the greenhouse up and put them in there until lows are in 50’s. Either way, i cant wait to make the room in my indoor jungle :rolleyes:

Anyone else collect alocasia’s or Colocasia’s?

On 4/12/2023 at 7:38 AM, BlizzardNole said:

Very nice!  I have 5 black swallowtail chrysalises and am keeping them in a cool part of the house hoping they'll wait a few more weeks.

Cool! About a third of mine chrys facing NNE. Haven’t quite figured out their pattern yet. Except that one will always saddle in the most inopportune place…

Released #15 a moment ago. :)

0FCC1489-C11C-4998-9DC9-ABCB0241E36E.thumb.jpeg.f4c38f387e95a92b3f8002bad00f57ab.jpeg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, FXW176 said:

Cool! About a third of mine chrys facing NNE. Haven’t quite figured out their pattern yet. Except that one will always saddle in the most inopportune place…

Released #15 a moment ago. :)

0FCC1489-C11C-4998-9DC9-ABCB0241E36E.thumb.jpeg.f4c38f387e95a92b3f8002bad00f57ab.jpeg

Oh wow; I didn't realize they required a guard dog.

Seriously though, that's a nice looking setup. Nice looking dog too.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Terpeast said:

36 for the low, no frost. Close call for my new garden. Next time I’ll wait until may to plant

There's no appreciable benefit to getting summer crops like tomatoes and peppers into the ground at the end of April compared to the beginning of May. Sure...if there's an extended warm spell you can take advantage of, then there can be benefit, but for me the potential benefits (small percentage chance) don't outweigh the benefits of leaving the planting until a couple weeks later.

Unless the extended forecast shows warmth, I almost always plant in the first weekend of May. There are times when the roots are bursting at the seams and the plants just need to be given room in the ground, but even then it's got to be a calculated decision.

4 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

Now I've got three black swallowtails hatched and one more to go.  It's just too cold to release them today and with the big, cold rain coming I am thinking about holding them for a few days.  Bad timing for them

Longest I’ve held so far is four days, with the first ‘fly of the year. To hold ‘em longer, you can do the sugar water with a cotton ball in a bottle cap, or even Gatorade if you want them to grow up big and athletic. Personally never done either, they know when to go. Released #25 Sun. :)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FXW176 said:

Longest I’ve held so far is four days, with the first ‘fly of the year. To hold ‘em longer, you can do the sugar water with a cotton ball in a bottle cap, or even Gatorade if you want them to grow up big and athletic. Personally never done either, they know when to go. Released #25 Sun. :)

What do you use as host plants to get so many chrysalises?  I had a couple clumps of rue and am thinking of adding parsley 

You know, it's been a while since I've had that 4 letter word in my forecast in May.... And WSW's hiked up in the mountains of WV. 

Naturally I was ready to finish planting everything starting tomorrow in the garden lol. Think I'll wait until Saturday just to keep things on the safe side. 

Snow currently flying up at 'Shoe and Canaan.

Anyone know what I can use as a good squirrel repellent for my deck plants? Those little bastards keep pulling them out or tipping my pots over. 

I tried sprinkling ground pepper in and around the plants, but it seems the rain washed that away.