• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Mid/Long Range Disco 3: The great recovery or shut the blinds?

psuhoffman

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You can't trust any specific details at that range but that is the window, AFTER the 26th Wave IF we can get a wave to ride the boundary before the pac jet retracts too much and the SE ridge pumps to kingdom come.  The question is how long is that window, where does the boundary set up, and do we have an active STJ at the right time.  But its the first time in a long time I think there is even a chance for us.  

I did notice it looks consistently colder north of us after about hour 200, which has been lacking all winter. Montreal has been raining. But I'm sure the little wave D10-11 that runs through the lakes will trend stronger into a massive cutter and pull too much warm in air front of it, so the potential threat that rides the boundary after 300H doesnt have enough cold :-D

6 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I'm actually curious about the pattern starting next weekend...can we get a 7-10 days of decent cold? Still looks split-flowy to end the month and the start of February...

After the wave on the 26th we might have a window of opportunity.  The TPV gets displaced under the blocking in northern Canada down to hear Hudson bay.  But its not a sure thing.  Actually I would still bet against us getting a significant snow from it.  Because the pac jet is retracting too much and the ridge out west is pulling back off the coast with starts to try to pump a SE ridge.  What makes this run, and some others work...is if the TPV spins long enough and gets displaced far enough south it suppresses the boundary far enough that one of the waves can get under us and there would be cold north of the boundary in that setup with a PV that close to us.  It COULD work at least.  But we still will need a lot to go right, its not a high probability, but its way better than anything we've had so far.  We've scored wins with worse over the years.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

I see the Feb 2-4 Roger Smith storm is still alive and well on the GFS.

If this dude nails our only snow event of the season due to planetary alignments and solar waves I will be convinced he is an alien from another universe. Seriously, he does this like once every year months in advance.

My 5-year-old daughter has been locked in on watching Jupiter and Mars every night for the last two months. She's an "interesting" child, so I think she might be channeling Roger's alien brainwaves.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

I noticed daffodils sprouting all over the place last week/this week. Snowdrops gonna bloom soon... crocuses before we know it.

Don't sweat it.  GFS has the 300hr storm in play.  The storm(4) after the storm(3) after the storm(2) after the storm(1).  Crocuses will wither at the threat.  

• Haha 1

A lot of the worst winters still managed 1 storm that affected mostly the entire region. They were centered around late January/ early February. Hopefully we can scrap something together over the next 2 weeks.

Here's a few:

1. January 2002. Happened on the infamous day of the tuck rule game with Brady.

2. Early February 1992. 

3. Early February 1995. 

4. Early February 1997.

5.  Late January 2008.

1995 storm was the best of the bunch but anything at this point is acceptable.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Interesting the GEPS likes midweek because the 12z GGEM finally loaded and cuts it west of Detroit. I think there’s still some hope for front end slop from that, but nothing more. Any substantial frozen-dominant system has to wait until after. 

The GEPS actually did shift towards a cut west, unfortunately. Last GEPS talk I'll add - here are member lows + what its actually outputting. Mix of hits because of a good (coastal) track and some thumps. This doesn't paint the *full* picture -- if people want I could make gifs of both plots. But it's the GEPS so maybe not worth the effort haha

1674669600-GODme26yRl4.png1674669600-MydrjOgTueQ.png