• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Mid/Long Range Disco 3: The great recovery or shut the blinds?

psuhoffman

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

To be fair anyone in the profession knows what they’re looking at and would never use those TT snow maps. 

How do meteorologists do it? Best guess is looking at QPF and temps at different levels combined with educated guesses at likely ratios? Seems like it gets complicated quickly by stuff like fronto / deformation bands, etc.

5 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

i think the tenor of this subforum will change when CC contributes to two 30"+ winters for BWI in like three years. the band has to snap the other way. wouldn't make sense if it didn't

at some point we are going to have to benefit from like 45-50F SSTs offshore.  Yes, it will probably take an absolute perfect set up but we will have storms that are juiced up.  Just have to have enough cold air once in a while (a tall order, I know).

24 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

How do meteorologists do it? Best guess is looking at QPF and temps at different levels combined with educated guesses at likely ratios? Seems like it gets complicated quickly by stuff like fronto / deformation bands, etc.

Mets don't put snow totals out for a system 13 days out sooooo that's step 1.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Will be interesting to see if the 18z GFS run verifies for the path of the Gulf lp in a few days. Just doesn’t seem right. A strange path for the lp when it reaches the east course.

It definitely seems odd. Looks like it’s headed up the coast in a favorable spot, and then it hangs left’ish. Odd.

18 minutes ago, jayyy said:

It definitely seems odd. Looks like it’s headed up the coast in a favorable spot, and then it hangs left’ish. Odd.

Think it’s just a modeling artifact. Wouldn’t read too much into it. When I see something like that I mentally “smooth” the track out, and to factor in the warm waters off NC/VA, adjust entire track west a good hundred miles. 

• Like 2

Drunk in some craft beer bar in S Norwalk, CT. How’s our fake winter projections. Been so deep in sales meetings the last 48 hours, got no idea what’s up. I’m guessing I have an inkling, but tell me there’s a chance!? Please!? I I literally just want one white gold opportunity at this point…

14 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Think it’s just a modeling artifact. Wouldn’t read too much into it. When I see something like that I mentally “smooth” the track out, and to factor in the warm waters off NC/VA, adjust entire track west a good hundred miles. 

I’ve seen people reference the waters off Va/NC lately. The water temp at Va Beach is 45. One year ago the water temp was 44 on this date. The range of temps on this date from stats 1981-2005 is 44-58. 

Not sure why this winter would behave differently because of water temps.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I’ve seen people reference the waters off Va/NC lately. The water temp at Va Beach is 45. One year ago the water temp was 44 on this date. The range of temps on this date from stats 1981-2005 is 44-58. 

Not sure why this winter would behave differently because of water temps.

Definitely cold down there right now. Could be some upwelling caused by the low moving north, there's 30-40 mph winds off the NC/VA coast right now. You can see how much more red than blue there is across the North Atlantic though. Hard to look at that and think it won't have any effect.

cdas-sflux_ssta_atl_1.png

3 minutes ago, TSG said:

Definitely cold down there right now. Could be some upwelling caused by the low moving north, there's 30-40 mph winds off the NC/VA coast right now. You can see how much more red than blue there is across the North Atlantic though. Hard to look at that and think it won't have any effect.

Well now that may help us a little then. Still need the cold air though, which we don’t have. Yet. 

Also as a whole, the W atlantic is still warm, but not on absolute fire like it was before. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TSG said:

there's 20+C SSTs just off shore of OBX.