Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 13-14 Ski Season Savior

greenmtnwx

8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Cranmore, essentially right in North Conway lol

Oh I thought you were going to Sunday River.  The big mountains will know how to get it serviceable.  I would’ve trusted SR’s snow surfaces team.  Cranmore I have no idea.  That might be a wait and see.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Oh I thought you were going to Sunday River.  The big mountains will know how to get it serviceable.  I would’ve trusted SR’s snow surfaces team.  Cranmore I have no idea.  That might be a wait and see.

Cranmore is a decent family skiing area so I’m betting their snowmaking is pretty solid. Esp being in a really cold area but not quite as snowy as some of the surrounding terrain. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Cranmore, essentially right in North Conway lol

for almost 4 decades, I drove past and ignored Cranmore but have had the opportunity to ski there a handful of times over the last 5-6 years and had a surprisingly good time every time. It's an interesting small mountain with an old style trail network. They have a pretty good snowmaking system but they need natural snow to open up some of the more interesting terrain.

4 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

trys to get most of the precip in before the changover even for my area. i keep thinking this thing is closer than it is, still time for this to change 48 hrs out. 

Trend has been ticking colder at the surface and in the mids, Looks like were getting some confluence too, Lets see if it continues.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Angus said:

for almost 4 decades, I drove past and ignored Cranmore but have had the opportunity to ski there a handful of times over the last 5-6 years and had a surprisingly good time every time. It's an interesting small mountain with an old style trail network. They have a pretty good snowmaking system but they need natural snow to open up some of the more interesting terrain.

20 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Trend has been ticking colder at the surface and in the mids, Looks like were getting some confluence too, Lets see if it continues.

I skied there a lot as a kid, and I always liked it. It’s definitely more a beginner feel, which is why I think my wife will like it.

I’ll take the 00z NAM and run, that would probably be 6-10” for cranmore followed by a bit of rain. Net gain 

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I skied there a lot as a kid, and I always liked it. It’s definitely more a beginner feel, which is why I think my wife will like it.

I’ll take the 00z NAM and run, that would probably be 6-10” for cranmore followed by a bit of rain. Net gain 

I don't ski or haven't since i was in my teens a bazillion years ago lol, So not familiar with there but that area looks like they are in line to cash on this one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Cranmore is a decent family skiing area so I’m betting their snowmaking is pretty solid. Esp being in a really cold area but not quite as snowy as some of the surrounding terrain. 

Cranmore base is like 700’ . And they get more sun than your typical mountain as most of their trails face west . They must have amazing snow making if they are doing ok 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tunafish said:

Going to guess I'm cooked even if it continues. Maybe snag am inch if I'm lucky on the front end.

Verbatim, we're really cooked in the low levels. 

The temps aloft remain pretty cool on all the American models, while the surface torches. I'm intrigued for interior areas locally. Those lapse rates are pretty steep in the snow growth zone, so the thump may be real.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Cranmore base is like 700’ . And they get more sun than your typical mountain as most of their trails face west . They must have amazing snow making if they are doing ok 

I believe Attitash base elevation is even lower.  My friends live five minutes from there and they said there are a lot of brown patches on the lower trails.

Hopefully they all net gain even if it turns wet for a bit. 

24 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I believe Attitash base elevation is even lower.  My friends live five minutes from there and they said there are a lot of brown patches on the lower trails.

Hopefully they all net gain even if it turns wet for a bit. 

They’re actually just about the same; Attitash may be 50 ft higher or so but both are right around 600 ft. Attitash does better with snow though given its location at the base of the notch and northern exposure. Not sure that the natural base matters at this point - it’s all about snowmaking anyways until further notice. Cranmore does have a lot of charm, I’ve only skied it a couple of times in conjunction with my kids races but I’ve really enjoyed it. Skies bigger than one would think. Can be a bit icy though but of course we are spoiled coming from Bretton Woods which is probably the least icy resort in the northeast that I know of. From Conway you do have a ton of options to choose from though if Cranmore is not looking good, between Bretton Woods, Attitash, Wildcat, Black, Cranmore, Pleasant Mt, and if you are ok driving a bit longer Sunday River is not that far either 

• Like 1