Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Mid/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Haha in all seriousness I’d rather have it on my side than not, but it gave me a few inches on a system late yesterday and I didn’t see a flake today. Didn’t expect much, but still. Thermals fail. :axe: 

Good to know. I didn’t even know that there was a potential event yesterday though. 

16 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Nope. But I would sure as S like to be in phase 8/1 in January than 4/5. 4/5 is pretty much a death nail. 

I've been complaining about it being impossible for it to go into phase 1 .  It'll be ironic it if does it in the middle of a torch.  At least it's not making it worse. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Good to know. I didn’t even know that there was a potential event yesterday though. 

The most marginal of things up here in CT. 

“Winter” 2022-23 in a nutshell.

I lived in DC for a while and this was my first subforum :wub: so I still post here.

I pull hard for you all.

• Like 3

I have been hanging around here for years and have learned a lot.  But for the life of me I cannot look at a height field and visually tell what the temperatures anomalies are going to look like.

My understanding is that the current NA torch is due to a strong flow of Pacific air.  In NH plot below is there a feature or features which I could look at at and instantly say: Paciifc Fire hose?

If anyone wants to pull out the John Madden telestrator and diagram a few things that would be even better.

image.thumb.png.a01052bf412d6bcb7d25b1b0cb35fd49.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I have been hanging around here for years and have learned a lot.  But for the life of me I cannot look at a height field and visually tell what the temperatures anomalies are going to look like.

My understanding is that the current NA torch is due to a strong flow of Pacific air.  In NH plot below is there a feature or features which I could look at at and instantly say: Paciifc Fire hose?

If anyone wants to pull out the John Madden telestrator and diagram a few things that would be even better.

That is a huge map to try to explain. And I am no teacher. But look at the lines. The closer together they are the faster the flow. Remember HP flows clockwise and LP flows counter clockwise. So for example the LP in the SW is pulling warm air from Mexico up into the CONUS. Then connect the LP's and HP's. LP in the SW to HP on the gulf coast. See where that warm is going? Again. I am no teacher and I am drunk. But that is the best I can do. Many people here will be able to explain it better.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

You could look at the 250 mb map and see where the strongest jet streams are. 

0C57C744-A1EC-41F8-AFDF-453C9297EEFB.thumb.png.8ee1e1453b6e676afd75b24f81678718.png

Right now we have a screaming pac jet and the airmasses follow that. Also note the trough over the west coast, and that trough also brings warm pacific air from SW of baja and basically floods the whole conus with it

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Yes I can see the jetstream at 250 MB, but I am trying to understand what features (at the surface or at 500 MB) make it strong or weak and make it point this way or that way. 

image.thumb.png.0e4432bb7767e4a0a7d7e08ae02c7980.png

5 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

0C57C744-A1EC-41F8-AFDF-453C9297EEFB.thumb.png.8ee1e1453b6e676afd75b24f81678718.png

Right now we have a screaming pac jet and the airmasses follow that. Also note the trough over the west coast, and that trough also brings warm pacific air from SW of baja and basically floods the whole conus with it

Thats what I get for trying to explain the map he posted. Mets are mets for a reason. :)

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic