Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

10 minutes ago, AtlanticWx said:

image.thumb.png.29d67c84ac62fdf1869fbf0dc469879b.png

gefs still gets the job done for a 50/50 low but just be wary that there’s still time and ways we can lose a 50/50

Pretty big move actually on the GEFS that went from a consolidated 50/50 towards more separation and less phasing among individual members....thus this change on the means. Plenty of time tho.

image000000.gif

Different situation but similar setup to a system we had in Dec where we were pinning hopes on a 50/50 at the same range and a transient PNA spike. I can't remember if it did the same thing ie didn't really phase in time or phased in the 50/50 area but moved out too quickly. I want to say the latter. We'll know in a few days I guess what this decides to do.

6 minutes ago, AtlanticWx said:

yeah tho the issue this run was just everything being weak tbh

Not sure I agree. Western trof stronger, ridge downstream from there stronger, trof in E/SE slightly stronger/deeper. Vorticity in the stj that was going to phase with the PJ into the 50/50 just kept moving due E or slight N of E and stayed separate too long. Again, plenty of time and noise for now but we want the Euro and other guidance to move towards a better consolidated 50/50 over the next several days, not the other way.

• Like 1

Just now, Weather Will said:

WB 0Z GEFS 24 hour period.  Weak sauce…

757697D0-C99E-4172-8EDA-74FF96B80DFA.png

One takeaway of mine is that if we’re not going to get a solid 50/50 low, we should probably root for a weaker wave that slides under us to retain the little cold air we have. Too strong, and it pumps too much warm air up from the south. 

• Like 2

Just now, Weather Will said:

WB 0Z GEFS 24 hour period.  Weak sauce…

757697D0-C99E-4172-8EDA-74FF96B80DFA.png

That’s actually a good signal for that range. There will be spread holding down a mean from that lead.  The bigger issue is way too many perfect track rainstorms among the members. Like p1 here. This is a rainstorm! 
wDzRlKA.png

@Ji you probably hate the GFS because you start hugging it 5+ days before you should ever start taking it’s outcomes with anything more than a grain of salt.

The main system we’re all tracking as the potential “biggie” is what, 9 days out? And depends partially on what the first system does. Until models - especially OPs - get that data, they are simply spitting out a wide envelop of outcomes - which is their literal purpose.

Analyzing slight differences in the heights out west or the strength of the 50/50 low in SE Canada is also a waste of time this far out. Are the players still on the field? Yes. Is there still a storm? Yes. That’s all that really matters right now. We won’t get meaningful details nailed down until we are closer to the 9th-10th timeframe, and even then, we are simply shrinking the outcome envelope.

Stick with a blend of the ensembles this far out (heaviest lean on EPS) to get a general idea of the setup at 500/H5. Parsing details any farther than that is a complete waste of your time. They will change 50 times between now and the 14th. What looks crappier now may very well look good tomorrow, and then back to crappy the run after. When the outcome for us is dependent on so many factors, there is literally NO USE in obsessing over the details at D9.

1 minute ago, Terpeast said:

One takeaway of mine is that if we’re not going to get a solid 50/50 low, we should probably root for a weaker wave that slides under us to retain the little cold air we have. Too strong, and it pumps too much warm air up from the south. 

Unfortunately I’m not sure if that path even exists because with the ridging over the top the weaker permutations among all 3 ensembles get squashed. That’s why the snow mean is pretty disappointing compared to the h5 and mslp looks, especially on the gefs and ggem ensembles. It’s basically 3 camps. A minority cutter camp. A minority weak suppressed. And the majority camp with a perfect track but a lot of rain storms among that group. Frankly almost all of them are rain on the 0z geps and gefs 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That’s actually a good signal for that range. There will be spread holding down a mean from that lead.  The bigger issue is way too many perfect track rainstorms among the members. Like p1 here. This is a rainstorm! 
wDzRlKA.png

Never am I more annoyed with an exclamation point than when you use them...because It's always a bad thing, lol

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic