Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2023

IrishRob17

2 minutes ago, sn0w said:

I just drove the 3 miles from my house at 450 feet up to King's Ridge Road which is at about 950 feet. Crazy how different of a world it is up there than here. Here the roads are wet, maybe 3 inches in the grass because of the melting as it snows today. Up there they probably have 8 inches otg and roads are completely snowcovered.

Kings Ridge Rd is just a few blocks uphill from me. It's nuts right now. I can't say I'm disappointed haha

• Like 1

10.3 inches here should do it. 28.8 now for the season. 

Great storm but stating the obvious, if this happened in January or February at 5 degrees colder it’s a 20 inch plus easy. 

Reiterating Gravity’s point, I measured 10.3 on the board when snow letup a little after three, and just checked and the board now has 9 inches. I think this might have been 15 if it all came at night. I will never mock the March sun angle people again. Now the ones that start that crap in early February I’ll always mock. 

• Like 4

Even 3° colder would've done wonders, just as important would've been a cold day preceding so we didn't lose so much from the bottom. 

It's still going pretty good here but the flakes are small and the wind is coming up. It started to brighten to the west but it's the wrong time of day for that to continue. At this point the accumulation rate probably equals the melt rate so I could call it at 12-13 and feel no guilt. Well, not much anyway. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Great storm but stating the obvious, if this happened in January or February at 5 degrees colder it’s a 20 inch plus easy. 

If we even had a half-decent high to the north, it would have been widespread 16+. But still nice especially in the context of the season, like you say.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Tpalm5 said:

Hefty accumulations @ 1,450’ on Schunnemunk Mountain! Game cam picked up a couple deer earlier today.68B3CC2D-8CF1-473E-9533-06B7E3CC5CEA.jpeg.7fe79bc0a2b6059cf12badbbb1b5180c.jpeg

My folks live right next to the reservoir on the slope of Schunnemunk and they are telling me they have 14”. Monroe is checking in with a 15 spot also. That  stationary band must of been something special

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, snywx said:

My folks live right next to the reservoir on the slope of Schunnemunk and they are telling me they have 14”. Monroe is checking in with a 15 spot also. That  stationary band must of been something special

Definitely a local jackpot. Highland Mills/Monroe area seems to reliably outperform over the years.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gravitylover said:

@sn0wyou should come back up this way, it's still coming down. Winding down but still low vis. A bunch of cars tried to get up and slid back down so be careful if you come up this way. 

29/28/WNW 2-4 SN- 

How much did you guys end up actually otg by the time all was said and done? I'd say down the hill we had maybe 4 or 5 inches when it finally shut off last night. My parents who are between me and Kings Ridge at 650-700' or so had probably 7 inches on the ground when I dropped the kids off there this morning. I had taken a second drive up to Kings Ridge around 5 PM yesterday and the car tops looked like they had maybe 8-10 inches on them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sn0w said:

How much did you guys end up actually otg by the time all was said and done? I'd say down the hill we had maybe 4 or 5 inches when it finally shut off last night. My parents who are between me and Kings Ridge at 650-700' or so had probably 7 inches on the ground when I dropped the kids off there this morning. I had taken a second drive up to Kings Ridge around 5 PM yesterday and the car tops looked like they had maybe 8-10 inches on them.

Somewhat related to that, I'm across the river in Highland Mils in Orange County at 600 feet. The maximum depth on my snow board was 10.3 inches around 3:00 pm after the last heavy snow band passed through and it snowed lightly until about 7:00. Despite it being later in the day and below freezing 31° the depth of the snow had already compressed to 9 inches two hours later at 5:00 pm. I'm at 8.8 inches this morning so most of the settling and compression seems to have occurred during those first couple of hours after the snow intensity decreased drastically.

My point being those that are measuring this morning or even last night after the snow was over are not getting a true total from the storm.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Somewhat related to that, I'm across the river in Highland Mils in Orange County at 600 feet. The maximum depth on my snow board was 10.3 inches around 3:00 pm after the last heavy snow band passed through and it snowed lightly until about 7:00. Despite it being later in the day and below freezing 31° the depth of the snow had already compressed to 9 inches two hours later at 5:00 pm. I'm at 8.8 inches this morning so most of the settling and compression seems to have occurred during those first couple of hours after the snow intensity decreased drastically.

My point being those that are measuring this morning or even last night after the snow was over are not getting a true total from the storm.

For those playing at home, keep in mind that snow depth is not measured in tenths but rounded to the nearest half inch so if CP is keeping records I'm sure he has the snow depth for today as 9". @BxEngineyou understand?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

For those playing at home, keep in mind that snow depth is not measured in tenths but rounded to the nearest half inch so if CP is keeping records I'm sure he has the snow depth for today as 9". @BxEngineyou understand?

Good point!  So does this apply to the airports too?

I couldn't find the maximum snow depth that JFK had for the Jan 2016 HECS but I always assumed it was less than the 30.8" total they measured in the storm, perhaps 28"?  And I believe Allentown measured 34.6" in that storm, so their maximum snow depth would have been around 32"?

10 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Good point!  So does this apply to the airports too?

I couldn't find the maximum snow depth that JFK had for the Jan 2016 HECS but I always assumed it was less than the 30.8" total they measured in the storm, perhaps 28"?  And I believe Allentown measured 34.6" in that storm, so their maximum snow depth would have been around 32"?

Its true that the max snow depth will nearly always be less than the snowfall but there are too many variables to take a guess at the depth. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sn0w said:

At one point there was 10" on the ground but total was around 15". I lost 4" in the first round of melting and settling then another 4" in the next two melt offs. At 1am, after the snow finally stopped there was 7.5-8" on the ground and a bit over 10" on the undisturbed car top in a cold, wind sheltered spot. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

My ruler goes to 64ths.  Thats what i measure to. Its gotta be accurate

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

At one point there was 10" on the ground but total was around 15". I lost 4" in the first round of melting and settling then another 4" in the next two melt offs. At 1am, after the snow finally stopped there was 7.5-8" on the ground and a bit over 10" on the undisturbed car top in a cold, wind sheltered spot. 

My head hurts... 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

According to the NWS most recent guidelines the snowfall for the day is the maximum depth measured during the day so in your case 10 inches.

According to the @IrishRob17most recent guidelines the depth is measured to the nearest inch which for you this morning would be 8 inches and for my purposes 9 inches. Just kidding with Rob of course as the depth measurements are also the NWS guidelines.

One editorial comment. The new guidelines, passed several years ago I believe, replaced the old guidelines which were wipe the board clean every six hours and total at the end of the day and begin anew at midnight. For official reporting sites I always thought that made the most sense. For average people like us, I do consider myself a little above average, it should not be this complicated, we do the best we can and go with it.

That is all for today. I do have a business and I have put in 0 hours since last Friday tracking this thing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

My ruler goes to 64ths.  Thats what i measure to. Its gotta be accurate

Just to be clear, we are talking about measuring snow, not whatever else you measure to that increment but I digress.  We all know that snowfall measurements are by far the most inaccurate of all weather measurements.  Sometimes it's innocent enough, sometimes its done because folks need to stoke their ego for some odd reason, and sometimes is because there are old and new guidelines out there as CP mentioned above.  My highest total on the snowboard was 3.1" yesterday but OTG I had 4.3" (gotta keep the grass longer next fall).  

• Like 2

Just speaking for my yard, I can't imagine having reported anything other than the 24 hour max depth during this particular event... and even that was a rather fleeting high-water mark, obtained only by watching the board like a hawk. But my final total was 9.0", with the core melted down to 1.52" for a 6:1 storm SLR.

• Like 1