Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2023

IrishRob17

17 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

I am more worried about low qpf.  I am assuming a more amped, stronger storm and higher qpf will generate greater dynamic cooling. 

It's looking increasingly like explosive cyclogenesis will wait until well downstream. We need the inverted trough to break right, which... good luck. 

• Sad 1

What will be the over/under elevation number that makes or breaks the big accumulations...

It was 32.4 degrees for the whole storm yesterday, and I got 2 inches.

(850ft in Carmel)

.3 degrees lower  would have probably yielded  6-7 inches 

This storm is like Forest's box of chocolates...you never know what youre gonna get

6 minutes ago, DRVTS said:

What will be the over/under elevation number that makes or breaks the big accumulations...

It was 32.4 degrees for the whole storm yesterday, and I got 2 inches.

(850ft in Carmel)

.3 degrees lower  would have probably yielded  6-7 inches 

This storm is like Forest's box of chocolates...you never know what youre gonna get

600-700’ is usually the magic number for these parts but the main concern should be the forecasted IVT / stationary band etc. Anyone on either side of that beast will be warm with drizzle. You can see on some guidance how CT is stuck between the IVT and the coastal low

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, snywx said:

600-700’ is usually the magic number for these parts but the main concern should be the forecasted IVT / stationary band etc. Anyone on either side of that beast will be warm with drizzle. You can see on some guidance how CT is stuck between the IVT and the coastal low

Good morning everyone. I needed a break from the hot thread read. I figured I’d come upstate for breather. Stay well all, as always ….

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, nycemt123 said:

On the bright side, at least the trees aren't leaved yet...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

my trees are already in a precarious position because of the heavy wet snow from yesterday (total of 8 inches, pics posted in the March 11th thread).  I'm the farthest south and farthest west county under a winter storm warning now, south of I-80 in the Poconos.  8-12 inches of snow predicted.

1 minute ago, gravitylover said:

Actually the trees are starting to leaf out. The one in my front yard looks like it usually does in mid April. This is the earliest in the 27 years I've been here! The last time was when that 17" paste storm took branches off it in 1997 and took out the power line to the house. It took 3 weeks to get that replaced :(

earliest since 2002 right?  That's the last time I remember that we greened up so early.

6 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

earliest since 2002 right?  That's the last time I remember that we greened up so early.

On LI maybe, I do remember it was warm early but the trees here didn't leaf out until after 4/1 and it didn't snow on leafed out trees. Even further upstate the willows are greening up, they looked great yesterday covered with 6-8" but there were lots of branches hanging down to the ground and that's without leaves on them just open buds and green, flexible branches. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

On LI maybe, I do remember it was warm early but the trees here didn't leaf out until after 4/1 and it didn't snow on leafed out trees. Even further upstate the willows are greening up, they looked great yesterday covered with 6-8" but there were lots of branches hanging down to the ground and that's without leaves on them just open buds and green, flexible branches. 

I see green stuff on my garage roof and the roofs on other people's garages and some homes....looks like green dust lol....is that pollen?  I actually started seeing that in the last week of February.

23 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

oh probably because mild + lots of moisture

probably why my allergies have come early too lol

Seeing the NW thread red, clicking on it and finding a lengthy leaf discussion  ---All part of the fun of a lively (and botanically sensitive) weather forum...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Seeing the NW thread red, clicking on it and finding a lengthy leaf discussion  ---All part of the fun of a lively (and botanically sensitive) weather forum...

That is why I don’t bother to check this sub forum very often. We have the biggest chance of seeing snow and this place is dead quiet.

• Weenie 1

That is why I don’t bother to check this sub forum very often. We have the biggest chance of seeing snow and this place is dead quiet.

To be fair, if you would show your excitement here in this subthread, wouldn't the other lurkers do the same? I mean, the excitement factor is definitely here but we're also in the biggest screw zone in recent years and have learned not to get hopes up...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Like 1