Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2023

IrishRob17

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I don’t quite understand the Winter Storm Watch for 5-8 still in Orange County. If they are so on the fence about achieving the six inch warning criteria why not just issue an advisory for 4-6 and upgrade to a warning at 4 am if needed. 

It would be hard to blame them for grading on a curve. This is, after all, the first widespread significant event of the season, with all the heightened impacts that come with that. 

24 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

It would be hard to blame them for grading on a curve. This is, after all, the first widespread significant event of the season, with all the heightened impacts that come with that. 

We hope it’s the first widespread significant event. 

In Albanys forecast area is warning criteria 7 inches?

• Like 1

February 27th-28th 2023 Winter Storm Fp-nqe10

I love the oval of 8-10 right over Highland Mills in Eastern Orange County. It seems to work out that way more often than not, although the last few years not as much for whatever reason, lack of storms probably a big part of that. That scroo zone that Julian references east of the river is certainly on display in this map. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out the next 24 hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

February 27th-28th 2023 Winter Storm Fp-nqe10

I love the oval of 8-10 right over Highland Mills in Eastern Orange County. It seems to work out that way more often than not, although the last few years not as much for whatever reason, lack of storms probably a big part of that. That scroo zone that Julian references east of the river is certainly on display in this map. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out the next 24 hours.

Me and Julian both.  Used to being in the screw zone now.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Me and Julian both.  Used to being in the screw zone now.  

I first started to notice that when my daughter moved to East Fishkill. More often than not it always seemed like she was a few inches short of what I would get in Highland Mills, Julian just confirmed that over the years. What exactly, if there is one, is the reason for that? The elevation difference isn't that significant, 200-300 feet, and the latitude further north. I realize every storm is different but it seems to happen consistently.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I first started to notice that when my daughter moved to East Fishkill. More often than not it always seemed like she was a few inches short of what I would get in Highland Mills, Julian just confirmed that over the years. What exactly, if there is one, is the reason for that? The elevation difference isn't that significant, 200-300 feet, and the latitude further north. I realize every storm is different but it seems to happen consistently.

It's downsloping versus upsloping, dependent on the trajectory of each storm.  

https://en-us.topographic-map.com/map-p1xt6/New-York/?center=41.33867%2C-73.89542

Capture 2-27.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Just got out of the Monday morning staff meeting....

"I heard it starts at 6pm"  "I heard 7pm"  "I heard 3-6" "I heard 5-8"  "I heard 8-10"  "Rob, what do you think?"  In the words of the great Clark Griswold "You wanna know what I think?  I think you're all fucked in the head!"

Great one!

A1BA2E11-25E3-4175-8B4E-E2AD3414FF94.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Is there some sort of a microscale seasonal snowfall map that could be looked at to see what the snowfall distribution is across the region?

9 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Is there some sort of a microscale seasonal snowfall map that could be looked at to see what the snowfall distribution is across the region?

Here are some along the Appalachian Trail

https://weathercarrot.smugmug.com/Weathercarrot-photos/AT-Snow-Maps/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Here are some along the Appalachian Trail

https://weathercarrot.smugmug.com/Weathercarrot-photos/AT-Snow-Maps/

Thanks, I see it's arranged from south to north, do you know if they have one for the Jim Thorpe ' / Lake Harmony area? The closest I got was the Delaware Water Gap and Stroudsburg.

Basically looking for the area near I-80 and just south of there near Mt Pocono.

4 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Same current conditions as @gravityloverand same festivities as @sn0w. Glad we could do this at least once before spring.

Trying to decide on a location for tomorrow's sunrise hike. I've had Storm King on my mind for days, but that million car pileup on 9W is testing my nerve a little... 

I don’t think there were to many serious injuries there. It’s a different world up there at 1,100’. Conditions can come up fast on you especially around those turns.

• Like 1