Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2023 Banter

George BM

On 1/4/2023 at 8:32 AM, eurojosh said:

Totally self-interested question: I'm booked the last week of Jan at Timberline, based on that having been a great window the last couple of years (including one morning last year when it was -30 before dawn!!!).  Am thinking I might push it back to the first week of Feb, or cancel all together at this rate.  Don't have to make a final call until a week out (so, 10 days from now), but welcome folks thoughts!

Welp.  Gonna take my chances and hope it's not a total washout.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Trolling isn't something I do. It really is exactly how I actually feel...I'm gonna be better eventually. Just ain't there yet.

I feel bad for getting on you man. Sorry this stuff messes with you so much but glad to hear you least have the self awareness. I’m sure you are a good dude, but it sure sucks to see your name on every page/everyday with same dumb shit and then take it out on psu when he posts some quality stuff.

Anyways sorry for kicking you in the nuts while you were already down, just hope you can find some peace and not take that shit out on others or be top 4 poster in the LR thread. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mappy said:

dont worry, i'm not going to ban you. 

Then maybe you can ban me for a little while then? (or maybe until it snows again) I've earned that punishment and perhaps that'll make up for my inappropriate remark(s) to you and others, and everybody would certainly be happy. I've earned it and fully deserve it (seriously)

4 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Then maybe you can ban me for a little while then? (or maybe until it snows again) I've earned that punishment and perhaps that'll make up for my inappropriate remark(s) to you and others, and everybody would certainly be happy. I've earned it and fully deserve it (seriously)

Sigh. I'm not banning you. You're a grown ass man. You can figure it out and adjust as necessary. Me banning you does you no good. If you need to take a break, then scramble your password and log off and don't come back until you feel like you're in better control of yourself. 

I feel for you friend, I really do. But you're not my child to send to timeout until they get right. You gotta figure that out on your own. 

But call me mother mappy again and I will be happy to ban you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mappy said:

Sigh. I'm not banning you. You're a grown ass man. You can figure it out and adjust as necessary. Me banning you does you no good. If you need to take a break, then scramble your password and log off and don't come back until you feel like you're in better control of yourself. 

I feel for you friend, I really do. But you're not my child to send to timeout until they get right. You gotta figure that out on your own. 

But call me mother mappy again and I will be happy to ban you. 

I will never, ever call you that again--you have my word (I'm not a jerk like that I promise you. When someone tells me something is wrong or uncomfortable I listen and honor that)

And...thank you. You're absolutely right.

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I will never, ever call you that again--you have my word (I'm not a jerk like that I promise you. When someone tells me something is wrong or uncomfortable I listen and honor that)

Thank you for being receptive. Take a break for a bit. Weather shouldn't be causing that much of an emotional response. Hope things get better for you.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Let me pass along some words of wisdom.  Just take a break from weather for a bit.  Log off.  Go do something healthy for a while and if it makes you want to find a therapist or someone to help you understand your thoughts and feelings then don't be afraid to.  No one wants to ban you.  you have apologized.  The issue can now go away.  Just find some means to not let this place and or lack of snow and weather get to you so much.  And if you need to take a break then by all means.  go get your head right and be in a better position to participate here.  We all want you to enjoy things without any stress.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'll add to this, and being serious here.  It's easy to get a bit down during this "dead time" right after the Holidays and all that.  I know I get that way, after all the festivities between essentially Thanksgiving and New Year's.  That "down time" can tend to make other things seem worse, or it's easier to get down in general, even about small stuff.  Hell, I do that myself around this time of year for various things.  Probably a lot of people do.  But as @H2O, @mappy, and some others have said...find things that you like, that you enjoy.  Take your mind out of all the other BS going on.  For me, it's photography.  Even in the dead of winter it's possible to find something which catches my eye that's interesting to photograph.  Or reading...or hanging out with friends.  Those kinds of things can definitely get you out of feeling in a rut, for what it's worth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

getting too stressed about things that are completely out of your control is a recipe for disaster, and the weather is a prime example

it's better to take the good when it comes and to distract yourself when things get crappy, you just gotta accept it. nothing you can do 

This is sparking what I think is a really good discussion, and lesson that everyone can stand to be reminded of from time to time.

There are things in life that you can control, and things that you can't. Nothing productive whatsoever is gained from worrying and anguishing over the things you can't control, even though so many of us fall victim to this every single day. For some of us it can be a daily battle. But, as others have said better than me, once you do find a way to try and let things beyond your control go, your stress level goes way down, and life becomes a little easier to enjoy :)

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

getting too stressed about things that are completely out of your control is a recipe for disaster, and the weather is a prime example

it's better to take the good when it comes and to distract yourself when things get crappy, you just gotta accept it. nothing you can do 

Or being a Cleveland sports fan!  LOL!!! :lol:  I still seethe to an extent over "The Drive", "The Fumble", "The Shot", and two World Series losses in extra innings of Game 7!  But hey, I can always savor LeBron and the 2016 NBA championship against the Golden State juggernaut!  That was the sports equivalent (for me) of winter 2009-10, it can take the sting out of all the other crap!! 

(ETA:  I still like going back and watching the last 5 or so minutes of Game 7 of that 2016 NBA finals on YouTube...even though I know everything that happened, it still puts me on the edge of my seat watching it again!!)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

That OC selection will say a lot about what they want to do with Lamar. Lot of folks speculating on internal promotion.

Over the last coupe of weeks I have noticed that there has been a ton of speculation and debate about Lamar Jackson's ability to play and how this relates to his risk appetite given the fact that there are literally 100s of millions of dollars on the line.

I dont know how hurt he was or is,  but I do know he was walking without a limp on the side line for the past several weeks. 

Great football players play hurt.  This is actually one of things that make a leader and a champion.  I am not a Pittsburg Steelers fan.. but Ben.. he would have been out there.  I mean shit.. I am pretty sure Huntley played though a serious injury on Sunday.  

The thing that I dont understand about this whole thing is that if you look at the "rhetoric" around this whole situation.. if you imply that Lamar Jackson weighed his upcoming contract while determining whether or not he should play, then you are somehow wrong or insensitive.  Or somehow accusing him of doing something that he is not doing.

This is rubbish.  Think about it for a second... he did the normal human nature thing.  If you could get a $200 million contract by not playing and not risking getting hurt.. you are probably gonna do just that.

If you had the chance to win a super bowl and that was most important thing... more important than the money... then your out there playing.

He chose the money.. most people would and I dont blame him.

18 minutes ago, alexderiemer said:

This is sparking what I think is a really good discussion, and lesson that everyone can stand to be reminded of from time to time.

There are things in life that you can control, and things that you can't. Nothing productive whatsoever is gained from worrying and anguishing over the things you can't control, even though so many of us fall victim to this every single day. For some of us it can be a daily battle. But, as others have said better than me, once you do find a way to try and let things beyond your control go, your stress level goes way down, and life becomes a little easier to enjoy :)

Truth. There is a bigger dimension that this is a piece of. In an overly simplistic nutshell, that sounds easier than it is...there is peace in surrender.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

The problem is that the technology of internet is much greater than moderators and what most people are not lazy to do. My .02

Better yet just scroll past the rubbish and not think about it.

Like driving in the country in the spring.  The air is ripe with the smell of freshly fertilized fields.  Most find it quite repulsive.  Just hit the gas and get the hell out as quickly as possible.  Problem solved. ;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

he's gotta get further north than northern baltimore county. I made that move a year ago from balt city and...it has not worked out.

Meant to reply earlier, but I’m getting to the point where I just may blame you for our lack of snow :wub:

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Rvarookie said:

Which game will be most entertaining this weekend?

Bengals-Bills, although I am intrigued with the Giants-Eagles game. Giants have a little something going and playing with house money, and the Eagles have been banged up a bit and not invincible over the past 3 games.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rvarookie said:

Which game will be most entertaining this weekend?

KC is really 1:1.8 odds to Super Bowl, when Vegas has them right now at 1:4.5. PHL is the only team in the league that would possibility contest. Bet KC, with PHL as a security play on the SB imo (I don't know how bad Hurt's is hurt.). 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

KC is really 1:1.8 odds to Super Bowl, when Vegas has them right now at 1:4.5. PHL is the only team in the league that would possibility contest. Bet KC, with PHL as a security play on the SB imo (I don't know how bad Hurt's is hurt.). 

the bills and bengals both beat KC already this year so...I feel like they could give a contest...

• mappy unpinned this topic