Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2023 Banter

George BM

8 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Nothing anyone has said on here had ever offended me. It’s just discussion and debate. Not personal. None of your points was wrong. I just felt there has to be more to it since none of those factors explains it all and it’s unlikely to get so many things to combine randomly. 

I'm a #s guy and always appreciate your logical/calculated posts on the winter temp topic. For anyone who's tracked winter wx around here since 1970, it's pretty fookin obvious it's not the same. Reasons don't affect us as much as warm hard truth does lol.

Highly variable snowfall aside, ponds/lakes don't freeze much anymore. Nothing like the 70s and 80s. Illegal ice hockey is a very dangerous game now. I check my old spots all the time. Year after year, it's not same. I think we can all just acknowledge that it's not the same for whatever reason and move on. The tradeoff of less frequent snowfall and more frequent whoppers will just have to do for now because all we get is what we get and not a flake more :lol:

You're a super smart person with data. I appreciate it as many others do. However, every post you make that threatens belief systems will be met with venom. It's a human reflex. Nobody's mind can be changed but the debates change the vibe of the board quite drastically. If minds can't be changed maybe we should concentrate on the vibe of the board instead? 

• Like 7

This is just my take but the thread(s) devolving into the constant bickering is a result of many of the posters here demanding a free for all posting. Mods would make more of an effort to keep threads on point.  but when some members pushed back and said mods were limiting convo, things were allowed more and this is the result. A bunch of children bickering. 

You get what you ask for. People didn’t want as much moderation and school admin monitoring the lunch room. And y’all started throwing the greasy pizza because many aren’t happy over pack of snow. And now it’s a food fight. 

Happiness doesn’t only have to come from weather. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

You're a super smart person with data. I appreciate it as many others do. However, every post you make that threatens belief systems will be met with venom. It's a human reflex. Nobody's mind can be changed but the debates change the vibe of the board quite drastically. If minds can't be changed maybe we should concentrate on the vibe of the board instead? 

as usual, bob says what I am trying to say with less caps and cursing. 

this. 

13 minutes ago, H2O said:

This is just my take but the thread(s) devolving into the constant bickering is a result of many of the posters here demanding a free for all posting. Mods would make more of an effort to keep threads on point.  but when some members pushed back and said mods were limiting convo, things were allowed more and this is the result. A bunch of children bickering. 

You get what you ask for. People didn’t want as much moderation and school admin monitoring the lunch room. And y’all started throwing the greasy pizza because many aren’t happy over pack of snow. And now it’s a food fight. 

Happiness doesn’t only have to come from weather. 

But when mods get involved in the bickering, which has happened at times in this sub, it signals to everyone else that’s it’s cool. 

• Like 3

Enjoying my final couple of years in OR before returning to Virginia.  7 out of my 8 winters here have been pretty solid. 2017 was a once-in-a-lifetime season.

this year there have been lots of little snows and some rains.  Heavy storm tracks have focused on Washington and CA.   Very nice snowpack in the high country right now with a foot or two more this weekend.

Planning a day trip to crater lake sometime soon.  February and March typically feature big snows so base should reach the roof top?

444DD5CB-7CF8-4FE9-9D51-31558CCCB1BF.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm a #s guy and always appreciate your logical/calculated posts on the winter temp topic. For anyone who's tracked winter wx around here since 1970, it's pretty fookin obvious it's not the same. Reasons don't affect us as much as warm hard truth does lol.

Highly variable snowfall aside, ponds/lakes don't freeze much anymore. Nothing like the 70s and 80s. Illegal ice hockey is a very dangerous game now. I check my old spots all the time. Year after year, it's not same. I think we can all just acknowledge that it's not the same for whatever reason and move on. The tradeoff of less frequent snowfall and more frequent whoppers will just have to do for now because all we get is what we get and not a flake more :lol:

This. And honestly, for me, it ain't even have an issue with the numbers/stats about how things have changed...it looks like they have--unpleasant but legit observation. Fine-- But when it's repeated over and over and over and over day after day--when things in the here and now are already crappy, what does that help? Yes, things aren't the same...we got that. But like...when we sittin' in a crappy snow drought, who honestly wants to see 5 long posts, EVERY day, not just about how it is now but how it'll potentially be worse in the FUTURE? Bad for the vibe. Informative, numbers driven (all fine by themselves), but for right now? Salt in the wound, imo May be more peaceful if we had a few doses less of those posts.

3 hours ago, snowfan said:

But when mods get involved in the bickering, which has happened at times in this sub, it signals to everyone else that’s it’s cool. 

The police also stealing from a  bank doesn't make it legal to rob.  People can still control how they post and that goes for everyone.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kay said:

We haven't talked about #bourbon for a while. What are peeps enjoying?

I make a 1:1 brown sugar and cinnamon simple syrup that I use with Evan Williams bottled in bond to make a killer winter old fashioned. Couple of dabs of both orange and aromatic bitters and Italian cherries.

By the way, the simple sugar mix is 1 water to 1 brown sugar, and simmer with 3 cinnamon sticks for about 20 minutes. When storing, keep the cinnamon in the mix.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The end is near if not now for my posting here but I have to say the reading is quite entertaining so i will continue doing that....I hope everyone gets what they want and or need from this place...it gave me alot for 20 years. No complaints...peace all.

Signed, 

Leesburg 04 :hurrbear:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 8

1 hour ago, aldie 22 said:

The end is near if not now for my posting here but I have to say the reading is quite entertaining so i will continue doing that....I hope everyone gets what they want and or need from this place...it gave me alot for 20 years. No complaints...peace all.

Signed, 

I hope that you won’t let a crappy couple of days in all the years make you move on. 

1 hour ago, Ji said:

it actually got much better...when i first joined the board...having a real Met post in the forum was crazy.... got everyone so excited.... like seeing a celebrity or something. Many of the other posters were just kids who would cut and paste their NWS forecast into the thread. Now there are legit 10+ super knowledgeable posters in here that drive the board. I think its much better than it used to be lol

plus the board in the beginning was not local. We all shared the same threads with New England/NYC and the philly weenies. That got to be super annoying

I remember the Eastern days, joining just before it changed into AmWx (right in time for the 2009-10 winter!).  Prior to that I lurked and read for awhile (found it better than the AccuWeather forums).  And yeah, all regions were in one place, kind of a free-for-all.  I can't recall if things got divided up by region at the end of Eastern, or sometime with AmWx (been a long time!).  On the one hand having no regional divisions was interesting and gave everyone the chance to read experts from every location (whether here, Philly, NYC, SNE, etc.).  If I recall correctly, threads were created for various events and a sort of generic medium/long range thread, among other stuff like Banter.  Perhaps even some threads specific to a storm for a given region.  I do agree it got to be a bit of a cluster with everyone from every region commenting in storm threads (or even the more general longer range ones), each with their specific perspective depending on where they were located.  You could read someone saying "wow, the 00Z GFS is amazing!" and then realize they were talking from a SNE perspective and not Mid-Atlantic!  At any rate, I overall like the regional breakdown as it is and glad it moved to that format.  Sure, there are "forum dividers" but I think that would be the case in every region (is it more that way here in the Mid-Atlantic than others, though?).  And we do have some of the expert posters from other regions show up here with some very good information like @40/70 Benchmark and @donsutherland1...I also like what @brooklynwx99 has added for our area lately.

One little anecdote, @Ji, that I recall involving you (no, not bad!!).  This was when it was still Eastern, in March 2009, near the time I first started looking at this forum.  2008-09 was a blah winter around here, but there was a solid event in early March 2009 that got a lot of traction and discussion.  I think it was the only worthwhile event that season!  It was actually pretty exciting to this one-time lurker, to see all this discussion about every model.  Anyhow, I remember some thread or comment you made a couple of days before that storm, something like "The most important Euro run of our lives!", for the 00Z Euro just before it came out.  I was up unusually late (it was a weekend) and stuck around to watch the old play-by-play of the Euro for that storm, and it came out looking pretty good.  I think some of the individual threads were actually for specific model cycles back then.  The storm actually was a good one in the end, though maybe not as much as some indications gave.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Kay said:

We haven't talked about #bourbon for a while. What are peeps enjoying?

6 hours ago, wxtrix said:

my husband read about bourbon that is aged at sea, and so i got him a bottle for Christmas. it’s pretty good: 

image.jpeg.6e08b9e198d247c574218a6c37641861.jpeg

Bourbon is nice (that Jefferson's Ocean looks tasty!)...but I myself do enjoy a good single malt Scotch now and then!  My bastard Scottish background calls every now and then!! :lol:  When having a Manhattan, Maker's Mark is my favorite for that (though to be sure, I haven't had one of those in a long time).

I remember the Eastern days, joining just before it changed into AmWx (right in time for the 2009-10 winter!).  Prior to that I lurked and read for awhile (found it better than the AccuWeather forums).  And yeah, all regions were in one place, kind of a free-for-all.  I can't recall if things got divided up by region at the end of Eastern, or sometime with AmWx (been a long time!).  On the one hand having no regional divisions was interesting and gave everyone the chance to read experts from every location (whether here, Philly, NYC, SNE, etc.).  If I recall correctly, threads were created for various events and a sort of generic medium/long range thread, among other stuff like Banter.  Perhaps even some threads specific to a storm for a given region.  I do agree it got to be a bit of a cluster with everyone from every region commenting in storm threads (or even the more general longer range ones), each with their specific perspective depending on where they were located.  You could read someone saying "wow, the 00Z GFS is amazing!" and then realize they were talking from a SNE perspective and not Mid-Atlantic!  At any rate, I overall like the regional breakdown as it is and glad it moved to that format.  Sure, there are "forum dividers" but I think that would be the case in every region (is it more that way here in the Mid-Atlantic than others, though?).  And we do have some of the expert posters from other regions show up here with some very good information like [mention=100]40/70 Benchmark[/mention] and [mention=54]donsutherland1[/mention]...I also like what [mention=9996]brooklynwx99[/mention] has added for our area lately.
One little anecdote, [mention=514]Ji[/mention], that I recall involving you (no, not bad!!).  This was when it was still Eastern, in March 2009, near the time I first started looking at this forum.  2008-09 was a blah winter around here, but there was a solid event in early March 2009 that got a lot of traction and discussion.  I think it was the only worthwhile event that season!  It was actually pretty exciting to this one-time lurker, to see all this discussion about every model.  Anyhow, I remember some thread or comment you made a couple of days before that storm, something like "The most important Euro run of our lives!", for the 00Z Euro just before it came out.  I was up unusually late (it was a weekend) and stuck around to watch the old play-by-play of the Euro for that storm, and it came out looking pretty good.  I think some of the individual threads were actually for specific model cycles back then.  The storm actually was a good one in the end, though maybe not as much as some indications gave.
I once started a thread called 12z gfs nukes dc. I caught all kind of flak for it. Culture cancel started a long time ago l!
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ji said:
18 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:
I remember the Eastern days, joining just before it changed into AmWx (right in time for the 2009-10 winter!).  Prior to that I lurked and read for awhile (found it better than the AccuWeather forums).  And yeah, all regions were in one place, kind of a free-for-all.  I can't recall if things got divided up by region at the end of Eastern, or sometime with AmWx (been a long time!).  On the one hand having no regional divisions was interesting and gave everyone the chance to read experts from every location (whether here, Philly, NYC, SNE, etc.).  If I recall correctly, threads were created for various events and a sort of generic medium/long range thread, among other stuff like Banter.  Perhaps even some threads specific to a storm for a given region.  I do agree it got to be a bit of a cluster with everyone from every region commenting in storm threads (or even the more general longer range ones), each with their specific perspective depending on where they were located.  You could read someone saying "wow, the 00Z GFS is amazing!" and then realize they were talking from a SNE perspective and not Mid-Atlantic!  At any rate, I overall like the regional breakdown as it is and glad it moved to that format.  Sure, there are "forum dividers" but I think that would be the case in every region (is it more that way here in the Mid-Atlantic than others, though?).  And we do have some of the expert posters from other regions show up here with some very good information like [mention=100]40/70 Benchmark[/mention] and [mention=54]donsutherland1[/mention]...I also like what [mention=9996]brooklynwx99[/mention] has added for our area lately.
One little anecdote, [mention=514]Ji[/mention], that I recall involving you (no, not bad!!).  This was when it was still Eastern, in March 2009, near the time I first started looking at this forum.  2008-09 was a blah winter around here, but there was a solid event in early March 2009 that got a lot of traction and discussion.  I think it was the only worthwhile event that season!  It was actually pretty exciting to this one-time lurker, to see all this discussion about every model.  Anyhow, I remember some thread or comment you made a couple of days before that storm, something like "The most important Euro run of our lives!", for the 00Z Euro just before it came out.  I was up unusually late (it was a weekend) and stuck around to watch the old play-by-play of the Euro for that storm, and it came out looking pretty good.  I think some of the individual threads were actually for specific model cycles back then.  The storm actually was a good one in the end, though maybe not as much as some indications gave.

I once started a thread called 12z gfs nukes dc. I caught all kind of flak for it. Culture cancel started a long time ago l!

OK, now I'm interested...what storm would that have been for??

4 hours ago, aldie 22 said:

Signed, 

You’re a constant source of laughter for me when you post. Hope you reconsider. Happy new year leesburg. 

• mappy unpinned this topic