• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2023 Banter

George BM

Well I've been able to assemble a rope team so health willing we will be attempting to summit mount rainier this August.  Last time we did it I was 33yo.  Ten years and two hip surgeries later I'm more than a little apprehensive to see if the ole body is up to it again.  I'll be rope lead so I have to go back and relearn all the routes and shit again.

• Like 3

I've always wanted to do a snow chase to a big city. It looks like Montreal may get a good storm late this week. Anyone know of a similar message board that discusses Montreal/Quebec weather? I looked at the NE forum here but it's not clear how far north they talk/analyze.

Have switched to the mindset that if it's going to be bad, let's shoot for historically bad so at least we can say we experienced a record! Still very much in play for the record lowest season snowfall for BWI. Currently standing at 0.7 in 1949/50. 

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Chris78 said:

Doug K. Popping champagne bottles as he looks at the esembles long range 850 and 2 m temps 

:lol:

His low-ball snowfall forecast is certainly on track so far.  However, he already busted on temps calling for a warmer than normal December.  It was 1.6 deg below normal at DCA for December.  He also said January would have some "good cold weather".  That is not looking so likely at this point.  Maybe his "very warm Feb/March outlook will also bust.  :popcorn:

1 hour ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

You’d think that asteroid is about to hit the earth if reading the main thread.  I like snow as much as anyone but it’s not the end of the world.  I get it - the world is warmer - I don’t need post after post of people whining about it.  

We've had rough years, but I don't recall one where there was actual discussion on how it may not snow again. That's a bit hyperbolic from me, but if we saw a multi-year canonical Nino that wasn't nuclear we're likely having a much different discussion IMO. 

• Like 2

Take a gander at these Palisades Tahoe Cams. These folks are gonna get Day After Tomorrow'd really, really bad over the next 2 weeks. Its going to snow possibly as much as 5-10 feet in the upper mountain slopes over there. Those amounts may turn out to be conservative. Gonna be an epic time jebwalkin' that place! Refreshing 100 mph gusts too, Buffalo, NY style! They have had SO DAMN MUCH SNOW, that they have had to dig the chairlifts out of the snow!

https://www.palisadestahoe.com/mountain-information/webcams

• Like 3

Take a good gander at this blog from Tahoe......

https://blog.palisadestahoe.com/conditions/jan-5th-untracked-runs-all-morning-at-palisades/

You could get lost in all that fresh POW! I could get lost for decades, digging up all that snow, and a hell of a LOT MORE ON THE WAY UP THERE!

Tahoe is getting so damned much snow, they are beginning to make the southern new england region look like the mid atlantic region lmao!

Imagine if you can.......... at least FOUR Atmospheric Rivers, aimed straight at the mountains, ALL FRACKIN' SNOW up there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What on earth would a couple feet of rain look like as all pow? And driven by 100 mph wind gusts?

Or maybe three or four feet of rain totaled up from four raging atmospheric rivers, as fluffy snow? It would make the Day After Tomorrow look like the 1930s Dust Bowl!

• mappy unpinned this topic