Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2023 Banter

George BM

8 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Huntley is extremely limited as a passer. Roman sucks as always.

The Steelers owned the lined of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. The Ravens run D was soft, and the OL was mediocre at best. 

Ravens have yet to see a lead this season they didn’t want to give up. If they play Jacksonville or Tennessee in 2 weeks, they probably have a chance. But they’re going to be embarrassed by a high quality opponent. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Ravens have yet to see a lead this season they didn’t want to give up. If they play Jacksonville or Tennessee in 2 weeks, they probably have a chance. But they’re going to be embarrassed by a high quality opponent. 

The blown leads in the early part of the season were squarely on the defense. Lately the offense just can't score, and often it's worse in the second half. Puts more pressure on the defense, which has improved, but is far from dominant.

Those who based their snowfall predictions on the fact that we're still in a La Nina are looking wise right now.  I did not see this winter coming in hot like this based off of the fact that it's been on the cooler side for the last year heading into it.  Rough sledding so far.  

Now watch the weekend system turn into a redeveloping area of LP in the TN Valley that enhances precip in Central MD with 2-4" areawide. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CAPE said:

The blown leads in the early part of the season were squarely on the defense. Lately the offense just can't score, and often it's worse in the second half. Puts more pressure on the defense, which has improved, but is far from dominant.

To me the defense has been dominant at times. But as you said...the offense ain't scoring enough! The defense is just frickin' gassed by the last 2 mins of a game. I mean they basically can't even give up one TD without us losing, smh

Seems like folks should just chill a bit at this point. Everyone here knows by now what's on the table from the 10th to about the 16th at this juncture, and that cold will be marginal. Keep seeing the same maps and comments posted over and over again every model cycle, and there really isn't anything new to report lol. 

• Like 4

Well, with all the doom and gloom here, how about some brilliant color of a cardinal!!  I didn't have the best telephoto lens to take this at the time earlier today (left the heavy 100-500mm at home when I went out!) and had to crop it a lot, but you gotta take the shot when you have it!  I wasn't originally planning on photographing birds, but I couldn't pass up a cardinal.  They bring amazing color to the drab background of winter for sure.

Misc2023_1.thumb.jpg.239387349b65ca8ee31743e136868793.jpg

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

I suspect PSU was secretly tapped by @WxWatcher007 to be the next Reaper after he retired!  Only instead of the fine establishment that was the Panic Room, he brings statistics and dissertations on why we are doomed directly into the medium range thread! :lol:

I had a lot of weenies on the payroll back in the day.

12 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

I’d pick Jacksonville in a matchup right now. 

42 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Who thought Captain Tuddy was a good idea? 

WTF :lol:

FlbSo8cWQAAm9CU.jpeg.jpg

AWFUL AWFUL FRANCHISE 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Look on the bright side, we’re gaining over 40 seconds of daylight a day (a minute+ in less than a week).  More time for outdoor activities in daylight ;)

You're not kidding.  Was able to shoot hoops 'til 530 today (albeit during a little dusk).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Well, with all the doom and gloom here, how about some brilliant color of a cardinal!!  I didn't have the best telephoto lens to take this at the time earlier today (left the heavy 100-500mm at home when I went out!) and had to crop it a lot, but you gotta take the shot when you have it!  I wasn't originally planning on photographing birds, but I couldn't pass up a cardinal.  They bring amazing color to the drab background of winter for sure.

Misc2023_1.thumb.jpg.239387349b65ca8ee31743e136868793.jpg

I approve of bird watching.  Saw a Blue Heron at the Frederick Watershed recently, which I didn't expect.  I typically see them along the C&O canal.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

So explain to me what longwave pattern works in that background state, when even in the old “normal” we needed solidly negative anomalies to snow. 

The answer is: none.

Serious question, any idea what the mechanism is for this anomaly pattern?  The mid-latitudes are on fire like its a +++++AO, but the arctic is warm as well, like its a -AO.  I know the root cause, is Lord Voldemort, but I would like to understand the nature of how hit is happening.

52 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

So explain to me what longwave pattern works in that background state, when even in the old “normal” we needed solidly negative anomalies to snow. 

Attempting to "reshuffle" patterns nowadays just feels like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. 

• mappy unpinned this topic