• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2023 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion)

Kmlwx

2 minutes ago, George BM said:

This seems like a less severe version of April 6, 2017 when there were 7 EF0s and widespread 50+mph gusts... at least in Virginia.

Had there been higher dewpoints and more instability available, I think this could have been a significant severe day. Dewpoints in the mid 50s don't generally scream severe day to me. All things considered, I'd say this performed as expected. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CAPE said:

Pretty interesting sounding on the 3km NAM for the central eastern shore(around Denton) as the depicted line is approaching. A general clockwise curve on the hodograph in the lower/mid levels.. decent 0-3km SRH. Modest chance for a tornado? Dry air aloft/ respectable DCAPE suggests a chance for stronger winds to mix down. 

image.thumb.png.9efbe459005f6d00d22efef714647366.png

Line looking rather impressive currently, despite the lower dewpoints overall. Bowing structure starting to develop with the center aimed at, you guessed, Denton. 

Enjoy the storms @CAPE

At my location presently branches already down.     

24 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

BIG lightning strike near here just now. Almost instant from the flash to the thunder. ENTLN data put it about 100-150 yards from the house maybe. Just up the street. 

This strike appears to have resulted in a strike to a house a street or two over. Occupant(s) out but fire in utility room involving gas line. Was hearing non-stop sirens as MCFRS responded to it. 

All bark, no bite.
Severe warned, but no severe which is nearly always the case here.
It did rain pretty hard, matter of fact it's raining hard right now.
Thunder was magnificent, just right intensity and rolled on forever
I'd take that over the instant boom like a rifle shot with instantaneous blinding flash coming through every window setting the cats off in every direction but down!  When the knives on the wall snap from sparks jumping between them and/or I get shocked if I'm touching something metal in the house, yes that is TOO CLOSE! ;)

It did look nice before the rain (and half a minute of pea sized hail) came!

p.s. the 15 degree temp drop feels nice too!

3is7BNz.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

When the knives on the wall snap from sparks jumping between them and/or I get shocked if I'm touching something metal in the house, yes that is TOO CLOSE!

Does this actually happen occasionally or are you using it as a comparison of sorts?

Just now, Rhino16 said:

Does this actually happen occasionally or are you using it as a comparison of sorts?

Yes it has happened before!

In 2014 we took a direct hit to both towers.  Lots of damage even with very good lightning mitigation (rods, buried pipe, et al).  Neighbor across the street had direct hit to chimney in 1998. We had bricks near our mailbox 100' away!  Crazy what power a direct strike has.

The one in 2014 was not a typical instant flash but a flickery type where the bolts appear to be connecting over and over again.  In the basement it sounded like someone dropped a pack of firecrackers down the ash chute on the chimney.  The well casing had Lichtenberg patterns where the grass was killed.  Well pump motor pierced and feed lines (three wire deep submersible) torched with melted nylon jacket.  Poly pipe holed and leaking.

Charred wires in walls, smoke in attic.  If we weren't well grounded who knows, we could have died or the house burned to the ground!

It's no joke I'll tell you that!