• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2023 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion)

Kmlwx

2 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Meh, I know we love baseball but the sport has a historically tough time calling off games when needed. Not gonna complain about them being too cautious. The 1/14 stat is crazy to me.

Back in the mid 2010s I was at OPACY and there was CG all over the place, you could see it from the seats. They took their time stopping the game. I thought it was a bit irresponsible but what do I know? 

As far as today, the further S/E of the corridor you are, the better chances of seeing something exciting, I suppose. Just give me a light and sound show, and I'm good. Don't need hail. 

Has gone about as expected - main threat was south and east of the metros but the DC metro area still got some rain/storms/gusts. Also goes to show you - can't rely solely on CIPS (not that anyone was) but it showed almost NO enthusiasm for today's threat...and yet - decent number of LSRs to the south and east. 

• Like 1

Very dark out, here comes the gust front, getting windy, absolutely no T/L so far, air has that summertime pre-T/storm "smell" though.

Gusty winds maybe 40 to 45, some very small hail mixed in I believe but I'm just looking out the window so not sure. Too lazy to ascertain.

There's some thunder! But not earth-shattering. No lightning. Fairly heavy rain. The STS warning mentioned American University, which is a Ichiro throw from where I live, and certainly no 60 MPH gusts here. 

• Like 1

I chased the lead supercell that dropped tennis ball sized hail and held on much longer than anyone thought it could. We caught this storm west of Red House, VA and stayed with it until we were east of Worsham. It started to cluster and line out but apparently if we stayed with it a bit longer we would have seen some dinner plates. None the less we saw some great classic supercell structure and various iterations of its wall cloud. Finally, a shelf cloud as the outflow took over.

Super11a.thumb.jpg.0cdbb5428ba4a28b170805897ddc0772.jpg

super4a.jpg

super9a.jpg

super6a.jpg

super10a.jpg

• Like 20