• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2023

buckeyefan1

Strangely a cool pool ULL snow event seems more plausible than snow by normal means in this sh*t pattern. We can’t do normal right so how bout we try the ‘exotic’ look? About a 1/100 chance of this happening as GFS is really the only model onboard but hey, that’s probably the closest to digital snow anyone in this forum has gotten this year! 

GEFS has several members showing more southern solutions, btw. Still very, very low probability 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Strangely a cool pool ULL snow event seems more plausible than snow by normal means in this sh*t pattern. We can’t do normal right so how bout we try the ‘exotic’ look? About a 1/100 chance of this happening as GFS is really the only model onboard but hey, that’s probably the closest to digital snow anyone in this forum has gotten this year! 

GEFS has several members showing more southern solutions, btw. Still very, very low probability 

Would love to see another March 2009 event.  We got 8" of heavy wet snow in the upstate with very intense thundersnow.  I was driving back from Columbia that Sunday evening and it was blinding.  Thankfully I had 4WD. That was a ULL event. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Upstate Tiger said:

Would love to see another March 2009 event.  We got 8" of heavy wet snow in the upstate with very intense thundersnow.  I was driving back from Columbia that Sunday evening and it was blinding.  Thankfully I had 4WD. That was a ULL event. 

I was at Clemson for that, my freshman year. Was an awesome snowstorm! Pulled several cars out of the ditches on perimeter road with my truck. 

6 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

Even with the exotic look and perfect thread the needle track...we still get 90% rain, followed by a little non accumulating snow showers. 

I’d have to think if the ICON was taken verbatim with moderate to heavy snow for 4-5 hours and 32-33 degree surface temps, someone in a band would have some decent accumulation. That’s not necessarily an unusual look for these types of setups where accumulation is completely rate driven and usually sets up in narrow bands. That’s the risk we take with the “exotic look” though! 

8 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I’d have to think if the ICON was taken verbatim with moderate to heavy snow for 4-5 hours and 32-33 degree surface temps, someone in a band would have some decent accumulation. That’s not necessarily an unusual look for these types of setups where accumulation is completely rate driven and usually sets up in narrow bands. That’s the risk we take with the “exot

9 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I’d have to think if the ICON was taken verbatim with moderate to heavy snow for 4-5 hours and 32-33 degree surface temps, someone in a band would have some decent accumulation. That’s not necessarily an unusual look for these types of setups where accumulation is completely rate driven and usually sets up in narrow bands. That’s the risk we take with the “exotic look” though! 

And the GFS takes that look and dials it up to 11. What a run. Gosh,  this is so sensitive to small changes, I hate tracking things like this

• Haha 1

DD038960-7194-40D0-BA97-F2E9AE6810D7.thumb.png.6fac3baf582f0ad46f827556f064e43e.pngSo the GEFS still largely favors more of a positive tilt solution meaning very little snow outside the mtns with NW flow. This is apparent when you look at the individual members snowfall. The mean is being generated by a handful that do go neutral/negative and produce heavy snow. 

It's not all bad though, despite that being the consensus at the moment the trend towards more amplified solutions is clear. If we can keep it going for a few more runs I'd expect the snow mean to start jumping big time. It's all a wait and see game right now. But at least it's a plausible look. 

• Like 3

That 12z GFS depiction would be an extremely impressive band of snow somewhere in central NC. Sounding looks very similar to the March 2009 event in the upstate with potential for thunder snow. Also some pretty good winds with the SLP winding up. All in all that would be a paste bomb. We’re roughly 100 hours out so, hey, this is the closest we’ve been this ‘winter’! 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

That 12z GFS depiction would be an extremely impressive band of snow somewhere in central NC. Sounding looks very similar to the March 2009 event in the upstate with potential for thunder snow. Also some pretty good winds with the SLP winding up. All in all that would be a paste bomb. We’re roughly 100 hours out so, hey, this is the closest we’ve been this ‘winter’! 

Yep. Getting out of Powerball into scratch-off territory. Matching three numbers instead of 8

• Haha 2

For posterity’s sake- the 12z CMC trended much better than previous runs. Much more neutral tilt and slower. Not as amped as GFS and obviously doesn’t get it done with the dynamic cooling (what this entire setup relies on) but it’s another model suite that actually looks very similar to GFS at upper levels than just a few runs ago

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

For posterity’s sake- the 12z CMC trended much better than previous runs. Much more neutral tilt and slower. Not as amped as GFS and obviously doesn’t get it done with the dynamic cooling (what this entire setup relies on) but it’s another model suite that actually looks very similar to GFS at upper levels than just a few runs ago

Yep.  Curious to see the Euro shortly.  It had this setup a couple of days ago but backed off.  

• Like 1

For what it’s worth, as 12z today 100 hours out we have:

GFS- bowling ball ULL ideal setup for heavy snow and dynamic cooling where banding sets up

CMC- similar to GFS in placement/timing but more neutral tilt and too slow to ramp up for same dynamic system 

ICON- very similar to GFS 

Dare I say, we have something realistic to track? Doubt Euro goes full GFS but if it has a similar idea (hasn’t been far off) I’d say we’re really in the game. Personally, ULL setups are very exciting bc they can be so dynamic and can lead to glory when nothing else will work (this year). 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

The Canadians ensemble also made big movements as well. Much like the GEFS it's sort of split right now, but the trend is clear. 

I’ll say this- if the only storm this year is someone from the forum outside the mountains getting nuked in a narrow band by an anomalous upper level bowling ball low in an otherwise abysmal pattern with absolutely no cold air source even remotely available nearby with zero Atlantic blocking and sandwiched between two spring like warmups, it would just be so fitting

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I’ll say this- if the only storm this year is someone from the forum outside the mountains getting nuked in a narrow band by an anomalous upper level bowling ball low in an otherwise abysmal pattern with absolutely no cold air source even remotely available nearby with zero Atlantic blocking and sandwiched between two spring like warmups, it would just be so fitting

I think the Mid-Atlantic forum would have to be melted down and sold for scrap if that happened and they got left out