• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2nd and 3rd Severe Weather Threat

DanLarsen34

Although (obviously) I expect the greatest threat for severe thunderstorms to be east of DFW, I am starting to wonder about our risk on Monday. We are on the edge of the outlined D4 risk after all, and recent Euro (12z) and GFS (12z; waiting on the 18z) runs suggest the potential for a severe risk around noon; obviously this time frame can change!  While morning severe is unusual, after the December 13th tornadoes I'm a little more alert to things like that.

• Like 1

Looks like two severe regimes later today:

1. Ozarks/Arklatex area. Warm sector could start firing off storms by early afternoon, but storm interactions and a tendency for convection to become elevated seem to be limiting factors. Not to mention that’s one of the worst areas to storm chase in the sub-forum. 

2. Eastern North Texas into eastern Oklahoma. Convection allowing models are in fairly good agreement with semi-discrete storms initiating just east of I-35 by late afternoon. The parameter space is progged to be uncharacteristically favorable for early January. The main issue may be capping and storms not firing until right around sunset.

12z FWD sounding shows a substantial capping inversion around 850mb. The cap looks to allow CAPE to rise into the 1000-2000 J/kg range by 21-22z, but as mentioned, most convection may be suppressed until a bit later. We’ll see. 

Tomorrow looks interesting over LA/MS, but the threat seems to be split across sub-forums and isn’t gathering much attention. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chinook said:

interesting note: dew points may be 23 to 28 degrees F above normal in the Louisiana-Arkansas area, as well as 20+ above normal along the Mississippi and Ohio Valleys.

That is insane considering the arctic blast that we just experienced only a week ago. Dewpoint here (NW TN) has been holding at 66 for a few hours now. Temp hit 70 this afternoon, and a week ago we had wind chills approaching 30 below.

1 minute ago, Chinook said:

It's always amazing that such a tiny cell could be a tornado producer on a day like today, but normally it would be a passing rain shower.

Yeah, I always find it incredible on days when even tiny cells start to spin before they even have supercellular characteristics. And then other days you have massive motherships who won't put down a tornado.

5 minutes ago, Chinook said:

It's always amazing that such a tiny cell could be a tornado producer on a day like today, but normally it would be a passing rain shower.

I just had that conversation with a family member. Those clusters are headed my way in 2 to 3 hours. Gotta be up at 4 am and its hard to sleep in this kind of setup. HRRR has a nice line coming in about 3 am as well in my area. Shear will be on the uptick and I would imagine there will be a few QLCS spinups along that line.