Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2023 General Discussion

Hoosier

4 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

I fully realize that I may be grasping for straws in saying something bad about your winter climo. But it’s pretty sad that you have less than 30” of snow on the ground in the depth of winter, especially when you’ve had 115” of actual snowfall.

Even your area has had too many thaws...it’s just ridiculous. It’s like everything is going wrong this year, outside of the MSP snow magnet. Even New England and the east coast has basically had zero snowfall this season. No one can escape the misery. 

Def have had more thaws than I'd like or expect but I'm 100% satisfied with this winter season thus far.  There's been over 30 inches otg ground twice, I've had a 17 inch storm, a 22 inch storm, and a 30 inch storm with nearly 3 consecutive days of blizzard conditions.  And currently there's close to 30 inches otg with 5-6 inches water locked in it and it's only Jan 7th.  No misery here.

If I still lived in Indiana I'd be a basket case so I get the frustration, however, this subs winter's have been backloaded for a while now, so there's still hope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday we had the rare chance to go for the 1゚diurnal swing (33/32) at DTW but temps fell late so the actual day was 33/30. Picked up a slushy 0.1" of snow here, 1st measurable of Jan, 8.1" on the season. DTW picked up 0.2" for 7.7" on the season. The last NOT cloudy or mostly cloudy day was December 4th.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Had to scrape frost off my car windows before going into work this morning.

I thought we were in a torch?

Compared to 12-23 when it was -12, 22 has to at least feel like a torch.

The extra good news is that you must have broken the stratus fest to get the frost.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bowtie` said:

Compared to 12-23 when it was -12, 22 has to at least feel like a torch.

The extra good news is that you must have broken the stratus fest to get the frost.

Not until after sunset yesterday. Forecast as of Friday morning was for sunshine most of the weekend.

Crystal-clear now, though.

6 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Had to scrape frost off my car windows before going into work this morning.

I thought we were in a torch?

:axe: I hope you're being sarcastic. 

Normal lows are around 10 in Madison...so you can have frost even with a +10 to +20 departure.  A January day with a low temp of 20 in Madison is considered a torch. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

:axe: I hope you're being sarcastic. 

Normal lows are around 10 in Madison...so you can have frost even with a +10 to +20 departure.  A January day with a low temp of 20 in Madison is considered a torch. 

Some day, I hope sooner than later, people will no longer use the word 'normal' when they mean to say 'average.' Then we can understand that there is no such thing as normal weather

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SnOvechkin said:

Some day, I hope sooner than later, people will no longer use the word 'normal' when they mean to say 'average.' Then we can understand that there is no such thing as normal weather

Point taken, and I agree…but this is exactly why I get so frustrated with our winter climo.

Even if the average high is around 30 in January, we have so much variability around the average…which means that high temps of 40+ occur way too often for my liking. 

You really need average highs of 25 or colder in the winter season (not just January) in order to have a wintry climate, since you can absorb the thaws more easily while still preserving ice cover on the lakes and snow cover. Basically, Wausau WI and north…where (coincidentally) the “north woods” and black spruce trees begin. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Point taken, and I agree…but this is exactly why I get so frustrated with our winter climo.

Even if the average high is around 30 in January, we have so much variability around the average…which means that high temps of 40+ occur way too often for my liking. 

You really need average highs of 25 or colder in the winter season (not just January) in order to have a wintry climate, since you can absorb the thaws more easily while still preserving ice cover on the lakes and snow cover. Basically, Wausau WI and north…where (coincidentally) the “north woods” and black spruce trees begin. 

Yes it is no coincidence that our population centers lie just outside of snow belts

I agree with this guy. Wausau north is a winter climate. Every year I watch them out up snowmobile trails in southern WI and they never can be used. I think it’s time to stop with the snowmobile trails down here.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

MKE just had it's warmest start to January ever.

I was looking at Milwaukee's stats for the first 9 days of January and thought to myself that I bet there have been warmer starts to January.  Turns out there have been.

At 35.1, the first 9 days of January are 5th warmest on record for Milwaukee.

1880:  38.9

2007:  36.9

1939:  36.1

1992:  35.6

2023:  35.1

• Like 1

I was looking at Milwaukee's stats for the first 9 days of January and thought to myself that I bet there have been warmer starts to January.  Turns out there have been.
At 35.1, the first 9 days of January are 5th warmest on record for Milwaukee.
1880:  38.9
2007:  36.9
1939:  36.1
1992:  35.6
2023:  35.1

Interesting. Then the local TV met has wrong info.

f6f638b0ff92c37bfb8b69232bc3f92b.jpg

6 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Typical media bs 

What ill bet that hes doing is taking the current mean temperature and applying it to the final January mean temperature

Good catch.  That's what it is.  If 35.1 ended up being the mean January temp at the close of 1/31, then it would be the warmest January on record for Milwaukee.

• Like 1