• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2023 General Discussion

Hoosier

Prelim data in for Dec, and with 1901-2000 baseline, ended on the milder side. 1991-2020 baseline would be closer to average with the split between our western, and eastern areas as seen in MRCC map below. Also have the 5/10 yr trend charts. Some here wanted to see both. 9 out the last 12 Dec's have been on the milder side.

Midwest Dec anom 5yr trend.gif

Midwest Dec anom 10yr trend.gif

Dec anoms.png

• Thanks 1

The official storm total for Minneapolis finished with exactly 15” of new snow. This is now the 3rd snowiest July 1 - January 5th period on record with 48.2” to date. 

This is the 2nd largest snowstorm I’ve experienced since moving to Minneapolis, the first being the April 13-16 2018 blizzard which put down 15.8”

Snow-depth is somewhere between 16-20” imby. Lots of compacting due to the heavy nature of much of the recent snowfall. The sidewalk canyons remind me of February 2019 when we received 40” of snow and depths peaked around 24”

Since December 1st we’ve received 3.10” of liquid equivalent water. All in the form of snow and most of it locked up in the snowpack. 

• Like 4

After 1.7 inches of snow yesterday, my storm total is 17.1"  (MQT 15.6"). 

This is the 100 inch club in the yoop so far (that I could find). 

No doubt there's some obscure, remote location that hasn't seen a human in years that's over 150".  My stats mirror Herman most years, as the climate of both locations are very similar, but this year they are 15" ahead of my total.  Their max depth has been 28 inches, while mine 31 inches. 

Bergland Damn- 116.2"

Herman- 129.7"

Laurium- 133.2"

Ironwood- 119.7"

Munising- 107"

Mqt- 102.5"

Bo's- 115"

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

No doubt there's some obscure, remote location that hasn't seen a human in years that's over 150".  My stats mirror Herman most years, as the climate of both locations are very similar, but this year they are 15" ahead of my total.  Their max depth has been 28 inches, while mine 31 inches. 

Bergland Damn- 116.2"

Herman- 129.7"

Laurium- 133.2"

Ironwood- 119.7"

Munising- 107"

Mqt- 102.5"

Bo's- 115"

Im staying in Bear Paw (near L'anse) Feb 16-20. How close is that to you or any of those locations?

17 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Im staying in Bear Paw (near L'anse) Feb 16-20. How close is that to you or any of those locations?

Closest to your location on my list would be Herman and it's about 30 min, unless you take Herman/Nestoria rd which is a back way that connects Herman and L'Anse.  The area from Mass City up through South Range is just a jog west of where you're staying and the area of Painesdale specifically, usually boasts some of the deepest snow in the UP most years.  I'm sure that region is well over 100 inches as well, just couldn't find a reported total. 
The only way to my area from where you're staying this time of year (and without a sled), is to go all the way east, back to Ishpeming and head north on Deer Lake road.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, weatherbo said:

Closest to your location on my list would be Herman and it's about 30 min, unless you take Herman/Nestoria rd which is a back-road that connects Herman and L'Anse.  The area from Mass City up through South Range is just a jog west of where you're staying and the area of Painesdale specifically, usually boasts some of the deepest snow in the UP most years.  I'm sure that region is well over 100 inches as well, just couldn't find a reported total. 
The only way to my area from where you're staying this time of year (and without a sled), is to go all the way east, back to Ishpeming and head north on Deer Lake road.

Thanks!  In the vrbo description there was a comment about it being "on the edge of the Huron mountains" 

Just now, michsnowfreak said:

Thanks!  In the vrbo description there was a comment about it being "on the edge of the Huron mountains" 

While L'Anse itself is a lot like Marquette the city, in a snow hole kinda, you really did pick a nice central location for the deepest snows.  I will add tho, there's nothing in the Hurons and roads are very limited and most not maintained unless by a local.  Your best bet (imo) is to stay west and ride the spine of the Keweenaw.  So much to see and do.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

While L'Anse itself is a lot like Marquette the city, in a snow hole kinda, you really did pick a nice central location for the deepest snows.  I will add tho, there's nothing in the Hurons and roads are very limited and most not maintained unless by a local.  Your best bet (imo) is to stay west and ride the spine of the Keweenaw.  So much to see and do.

Thanks again. It did sound like a good centralized location.

On 1/6/2023 at 10:43 AM, weatherbo said:

Bergland Damn- 116.2"

Herman- 129.7"

Laurium- 133.2"

Ironwood- 119.7"

Munising- 107"

Mqt- 102.5"

Bo's- 115"

I fully realize that I may be grasping for straws in saying something bad about your winter climo. But it’s pretty sad that you have less than 30” of snow on the ground in the depth of winter, especially when you’ve had 115” of actual snowfall.

Even your area has had too many thaws...it’s just ridiculous. It’s like everything is going wrong this year, outside of the MSP snow magnet. Even New England and the east coast has basically had zero snowfall this season. No one can escape the misery.